radi6404

11 members have voted

1. 1. Will the world find a replacement for mineral oil or will it fail

• It will find a replacement the next 30 years
    • It will fail
    • I am not sure
    • It will find it in the last second
    • It will find a replacement after several years of big crysis

I am very frightened about our future. The next 30 to 40 years we will be able to exhaust mineral oil jsut like we are doing today. Driving vehicles with mineral oil, using it for all our tehnical and electronical needs and for all the other sources, but after that it will completetely be exhausted. What do you think? Will mankind find a replacement for it in time or will there be a serious crysis after the mineral oil is exhausted? I am very worried about it, for many many years there is big talk sides the companies, who produce vehicles, yet there are no real alternatives after more than 10 yeras of talk. I can`t understand why nothing happens, since it is very high time we find a replacement. Every day billions of vehicles, trains, trucks, airplanes and big ships are using it to power their engines and exhaust it. It is harder each day to find new sources of it and the governments don`t force the companies finally to find an alternative, that works.

So much talk about electromobility and hydrogen and no facts there except a few hybrids from japan and France, but Japan and France alone wont save the world. Germany still does not produce vehicles with alternative energy and they are one of the biggest marked for mobility in the world. I hope so much there will be a solution soon but how it seems there wont be a soultion soon. Every day I hpe someone makes the final success and has an affortable alternative energy engine, that is ready for mass production, but every day I wake up and see there is no such thing. I am very worried about our future, but I am also optimistic we will find alternative energy. There are 30 years left for it, not a lot of time, is it enough to switch to alternative energy or are we facing a big crysis?

I wouldn't worry Radi, I expect when the oil runs out we in the West will just reinstate slavery and subjugate a bunch of less civilised peoples, then everything will be fine again.

(That's a joke, by the way.)

If only the fossil fuels used to power peoples mobility would be our only concern...there's a lot more to that than just being a source of energy!

And of course we're facing big conflicts. Again, there are many more reasons to be afraid than just the world's diminishing natural resources. And yes, we will all die a violent death, don't worry ^^

I think could transition easily if it wasn't for petroleum special interests holding us back. Their greed comes first over the well being of the rest.

Exactly. Finding a replacement isn't the issue. We already have multiple models of fully-electric and "plug-in hybrid" (which is much more on the electric side than 'normal' hybrid) vehicles.

I think we could transition easily if it wasn't for petroleum special interests holding us back. Their greed comes first over the well being of the rest.

I don´t think it is quite like that, but I may have false information about it. What I am reading on internet and seeing on tv, there are alternatives, but they are very epensive and not ready for mass production, but it is importrant to switch to the new engines in time, because we don´t have to exhaust even the last liter of pretolium.

Absolutely, we don`t need a lot of passenger flights aswell. People can use the bus and the train instead. The bus is hte most environmentally friendly means of transportation for long distances so it should be used instead of flights, when possible. But soon big progress must happen, otherwise we will have a big crysis in several years.

It's called Nuclear Fusion. You see the word 'Nuclear' and you say "we tried that and it's dangerous!" No. You're thinking of nuclear fission. Fusion is totally different and in the last few years serious breakthroughs have been made. Fusion power will be up and ready I think by 2030.

EDIT: Nope, that's 2022. 2022 is the expected date for our first Fusion power plant.

But fusion power plants wouldn't solve the problem of petroleum-based vehicles.

It's all just energy... Use your fusion power plant to produce hydrogen and put this into your tank instead of petroleum if you absolutely wanna stick to the car & gas station concept. Or run a moster-greenhouse aside with supper-fast growing plants (weed? :D ), 500MW of luminous power and you use the output to produce bio-fuel, or, or.. If you have access to a lot of cheap energy (like out of a fusion plant) it's no big deal to transform it - also if the efficiency factor is terrible low.. doesn't matter, the fusion plan will produces enough of it.

I know what you're getting at, but you can't just "put hydrogen in your gas tank". There's an investment involved in converting existing fuel technology to new, or replacing it entirely, and an whole industry focused on petroleum. It's not a trivial matter to just replace existing energy sources with new ones.

Think that isn't a big problem, average age of a car is around 10 years. Ofc you can't replace all petroleum cars with hydrogen within a year, but if this happens over 20-30 years no car-owner will have to do an extra invest as they would buy a new one anyhow.

And about the industry/oil companies I'm even less worried. They're there to make $$$. That's the only reason why they are there. If they stick with petroleum while the sources dry up, they won't make any $$$ anymore. I'm 110% sure they will change their business model faster than you can think of if they run in danger of loosing money.

Think the biggest hurdle to get over is to agree on what technology to use in the future.

Hydrogen, hi tech-batteries, ammonia, any synthetic fuel? Or can you make that fusion reactor so small that it fits into a car? :D

I think we will just see more diversity - where not all vehicles run with the same engine. Like the public transportation bus on batteries, the airplane on hydrogen, the personal car on ammonia and the container ship has a build-in fusion reactor... or something like that =)

Well.. I don't see this soo critical at all.. :D

Personaly I try to minimize my waste of limited resources to a minimum anyhow. Sold my car about 1 year ago, first just out of interest to see if can life without. Found out that I can.. so I also won't buy a replacement that soon. Trying to only buy local stuff (yeah know.. not always possible) that hasn't been carried arround for 1000+km ect. So I'm pretty relaxed on that the oil-driven-world will come to an end soon.. already practice on how to life without :D

And about the rest of world I'm also pretty optimistic. I mean.. we survived the ice age with no technology gimmicks at all.. I just don't beleve the oil-age comming to end will have any major impact to the human kind. We will transition into the next one, as we did with Muscle=>Horse=>Slave=>Carbon=>Oil=>?

Well.. I don't see this soo critical at all.. :D

Personaly I try to minimize my waste of limited resources to a minimum anyhow. Sold my car about 1 year ago, first just out of interest to see if can life without. Found out that I can.. so I also won't buy a replacement that soon. Trying to only buy local stuff (yeah know.. not always possible) that hasn't been carried arround for 1000+km ect. So I'm pretty relaxed on that the oil-driven-world will come to an end soon.. already practice on how to life without :D

And about the rest of world I'm also pretty optimistic. I mean.. we survived the ice age with no technology gimmicks at all.. I just don't beleve the oil-age comming to end will have any major impact to the human kind. We will transition into the next one, as we did with Muscle=>Horse=>Slave=>Carbon=>Oil=>?

Great actions man, selling your car is one of the best things you could have done. It is very respective for the environment and also very mature for you as a human. Since many humans with a car use it for fun, instead for the need of it. They say, I like driving a car, just as one girl on my facebook. But you selling your car is very mature. However I should tell you, that if the crysis will happen, it will be much harder than just buying food from local stores. Without mobility most things wont work and the world will be in big crysis. So it is important mankind to find a replacement to petrolium in time.

My approach to matters like this is sorting my personal problems out, so I can better help the people around me, which in turn should help everyone (and everything/the world) they have to do with.

Here are some more problems to worry (or not worry) about: http://www.exitmundi.nl/exitmundi.htm :P:ph34r:

I get your point radi ;)

Just think that we are more flexible than we think we are.

50 years ago it was absolutely ridiculous to travel to another continent for shopping or doing a business meeting for a couple of hours. Than there was phase were this was "bon ton" and you were a kind of a modest nobody if you didn't received your 1mio miles gift already. As of today in the world of skype and video conferences it starts to get ridiculous again.

A crysis usually comes up if something unexpected happens, but the fact that we run out of petrolium is nothing unexpected. This is known since decades and will still have decades to address it. So I just don't think that we will sit there on 17.10.2113 20:00 and think "uuh?? damn!! they just told me that there is no more oil on my planet I can put into my car! o_O wtf?? so how shall I drive watching the football game tomorrow??? OHHH NOOO".

Not everyone will be happy about that ofc, but I'm not seeing any big crysis coming because of this, simply because we still have a lot of time prepare - and we will be prepared for sure as there is just too much $$$ on that bizz to not take care off... companies will fight each other to push their solutions.

I hope you are right, there is good logic in your pos but still I am wondering why there are no alternatives to pretolium for vehicles out there? Is it simply because companies want to sue oil reserves til they are over or are there other reasons?

I hope you are right, there is good logic in your pos but still I am wondering why there are no alternatives to pretolium for vehicles out there? Is it simply because companies want to sue oil reserves til they are over or are there other reasons?

You posted it already ^.^ cheapest energy supplier we have right now. If something would cost less you could be sure that we wouldn't drive pretolium-base vehicles anymore. The world is so damn simple.. it's all about the moneh :D

Sorry, I vote for fail.

Wait until the Chinese people -- and not only the Chinese, take that for every "development country" -- go through the same economic evolution like we and thus start to have bigger carbon footprints.

Six billion is the current world population (sorry, seven -- just looked), tendency rising. If these people all got a car, you can say goodnight to the planet.

My chemistry teacher said something like this already ten years ago. He will be right. He will be right!

Not only do we have the emissions, at the same time we also have to fight the plastic in our environment, the environmental damage through poison etc. (Fukushima hooray), the dying of species (how many were there that get extinct every year? I don't know the number anymore, but it was worrying), even such simple things as "light smog" ... oh and don't forget electro smog, the rays from cellphones and electric devices that will give us brain cancer or whatever nasty shit, illnesses through poisons or even through simple things such as burn-out in the ever faster-getting business world ... or even the financial crisis, the most laughable way to go down as it's all man-made entirely ... oh and, after all, lets not forget the danger to be bombed into oblivion by some crazy religious lunatic or simply an amok runner who can't cope with his life anymore...

Avoid The Future! Noma already knew it.

... sorry guys, Cinos already called me "doomsday prophet" ... guess that's what I am...