Psytrance that does not sound like psytrance

Taika-Kim

OK, here's a more tricky one:

I'm interested in good trancey music that fits in the "psychedelic" slot with all the liquid filters, repetition, 4/4, etc, but without the conventions of psychedelic trance music composition-wise.

I haven't been listening to trance for the past ten years or so, so I'm interested if there's something original that's come out during this time?

It's hard to put my finger on what I'm meaning... I'd say true artistic ambition in the music maybe?

Something that you can't compare to anything else.

And I'm not interested in borderline schizoid experimental stuff either, I'm now thinking of something really smooth and tender but still textured and colourful in my head.

Allow me to be the devil's advocate here:

In music, aren't genres defined by certain common conventions? And thus, if a piece of music doesn't follow any of the conventions of a particular genre, it can't be considered part of that genre?

That doesn't mean it's not good music, but if it doesn't look like a duck, doesn't walk like a duck, and doesn't quack like a duck, why call it a duck?

I can only take a guess but maybe you mean something that is psy but does not sound generic and like something you have heard countless times before? Something a bit more unique but still in the borders of psy or it's subgenres? For me there are a few albums that go in that category: Talpa - The Path; Benza - Retrofuturism; Terrafractyl - Electronic Evolution. I can't come up with anything more and ot be honest I have a hard time finding psy/prog/whatever stuff that doesn't give me the impression of something I've allready heard.

Terrafractyl, yes, he's cool... His set is the only one in the last years I've heard, that sounded quite fresh actually. But he's not that much into psytrance so that explains it maybe. And he's heavily into modulars too, which forces you to work on the sounds a bit more, and will give results very different from the typical VST use.

Benza was cool when I last heard his set, I meant to check his music, but, well, I'm so lazy always back home :D

I mean: music that evokes altered states of mind, has more than average ratio of textural complexity and imagination, and touches on that rare sublime feeling of love and omnipresent joy that dancing to psytrance in nature (and psychedelics for many) can trigger so well.

Or maybe I'm talking about just "trance"?

Music intended for achieving a trance, a music that is best enjoyed in trance (dance).

This is a bit vague, yes I agree :)

Yes, just trance that does not sound like I've heard it a million times before.

Productionwise even Finnish music is quite capable these days, but what with the subgenres being cast in stone more and more, a certain rigidity has fallen on the music in my opinion.

OK, let's just say "Is there any new (meaning, well, around post 2006 for me) fresh trance out there?"

You know, fresh like in a fruit salad on a summer's morning, or the first kiss with a new person. Something with promise of something even better. Potential.

An artist whose live set put my in trance (or maybe I should say that made me tripping like fuck while on acid) was Crossing Mind. He sounds like old-school goa but with the production and mastering skills of today. I like to trip at parties but I have rarely been so blow away by a live set. Cosmosis was playing after him and even when Bilbo was ace he was far (for me) away from what Crossing Mind was doing. He's a French guy and has two albums out, maybe you wanna check him. I was also tripping balls because of an Time In Motion liveset but unfortunately their album didn't move me that much when I was giving it a try.

Allready mentioned in another thread is the free album from Stereofeld (available at Ektoplazm). It's in the direction of progressive psy but to me it sounds a lot more original and also fresher than most of the psy-prog that is coming out nowadays.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHGl6y1DalI

This track does not sound like general psytrance and I love it for that. It is very goaish melodywise, but otherwise it sounds like some other genre of electronica, especially the part at 4 12 does not sound like psytrance for me, I have never heart such an impressive sound in psytrance, it is from other genres of electronica, but I don`t know which ones.

Honestly, I discovered Psytrance in 2010 and I didn't find it very psychedelic. I thought it sounded either cheesy or boring (or both!). Until I discovered GOA (my first track was CHI AD's 'Biocandy') and then I said to myself "Now THIS is psychedelic!"

:) :) :) :) :)

I'll 2nd Terrafractyl for being amazingly unique. But i think it still sounds like psytrance, just a master of the melodic version as such.. hah. er..

Im not really sure what you're after to be honest...

The hyper 150++ experimental stuff doesnt sound like psytrance to me... but it doesnt sound good either.. so i dont really know where to point ya!

Tamlin yes his set was good also and also super nice guy, but never heard the album. I recall it being quite goa-ish though, maybe I will re-evaluate... Uni I don't know, is there a link somewhere?

I mean... Even the kicks are almost identical so often, as well as the bassline sounds. It's like there's a formula now, and people are scared to deviate in fear of alienating the crowd on the dancefloor... On older trance and techno tracks there is a feeling of much more loose limits between genres, and I like that.

Damn. I'm quitting my job around christmas, I really want to see if I can realize some of these musings into something concrete :D

I'll 2nd Terrafractyl for being amazingly unique. But i think it still sounds like psytrance, just a master of the melodic version as such.. hah. er..

Im not really sure what you're after to be honest...

The hyper 150++ experimental stuff doesnt sound like psytrance to me... but it doesnt sound good either.. so i dont really know where to point ya!

Can you tell me what is the best stuff of Terrafractyl. I opened a random track in youtube and it sounded pretty good and intersting, however a bit too many vocals. What is recommended by Terrafractyl?

Can you tell me what is the best stuff of Terrafractyl. I opened a random track in youtube and it sounded pretty good and intersting, however a bit too many vocals. What is recommended by Terrafractyl?

Sure bud :)

Mmm my favourite is everything off his first album, Chrysalis, specially Delta Wave which is this track:

along with

In saying that some of his best single tracks are on V/A Releases like

Annnnnnd his second album has some amazing tracks as well:

I could go on forever as he is my favourite producer but yeah, start with his first album I think and see if you like it. He does use vocal samples, but mostly tastefully and not in a toooooo cheesy way. And the reason it sounds interesting is he is actually a classically trained musician who turned to electronic music later rather than just someone who started with electronic music with no musical knowledge :) Enjoy mate.

^ nice! You surprise me with GadgetG ;D Everything I have heard from him is very different than the last. He was supposed to play at a festival this year I went to, but ended up not being there ;( maybe next year I'll be so lucky. His DI Summer Solstice mix was superb!

when you say smooth music and the psy not so psy-like - I think of this. its kind of psy and kind of a proggy full-on hybrid. one of my favorite discoveries this year thanks to DI radio station. 8)

Synergic - Delusion Red