Your biggest surprise this year?

IronSun

Ok, so apart from the albums and comps you knew were going to be good (like for me the new Suntrip and Zion604 compilations), what album and compilation was your biggest surprise this year?

For me it's the free foresty Chill-out compilation Through the Afterlife (download it here), and Stereofeld's Frequenzwechsel (downloadable here). These two still blow me away every time I listen to them. So two free releases. Which blew me away. The quality of free psytrance/chill-out/goa releases has been greatly improving these last couple of years imo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxYJON3LD-c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAR-ym-K9Mc

Will have to check the new oxycanta then... I have everything else you listed and I cannot but agree, all very tasty! Ovnimoon did indeed display some great goaprog :D

Btw: I'm curious to hear what you think of stereofeld- frequenzwechsel Joske :)

BlackStarrFinale / PharaOm / GoaTree and unreleased stuff from Morphic Resonance.

With first two artists and d00ds I was familiar with for a very long time, but with their newest material I was amazed. AURYN is best goa trance / psytrance album released this year so far, and PharaOm's appereances on Shelter 10 was a unique sci-fi trip. GoaTree brought oldschoolish goa trance vibe in total different way(s), with modern production and finally mr. MR will brought something special and unique in goa music nowdays ;)

E-mantra on Freqs of Nature... Definitely biggest surprise of the year. His new album is going to be a shocker! E-mantra live has always been difficult, not much going on the dance floor (@Joske, I wasn't at the Fractal Gate live, had to mix myself) but this time when his new music started playing, the dance floor was very magical...

Loke on Midgard, full power forest madnes, totally loved it!

Ra-Unearthly. I was never a big Ra fan and I thought this album will be similar to E-Mantra's downtempo albums which are very well produced, but I don't love them. But this album is awesome. Very trippy, melancholic and it sounds like it came from 1997.

Ra-Unearthly. I was never a big Ra fan and I thought this album will be similar to E-Mantra's downtempo albums which are very well produced, but I don't love them. But this album is awesome. Very trippy, melancholic and it sounds like it came from 1997.

Don't you think it's too cheesy in some parts? I like Rain No Water, Ascend, Lightspark and the downtempo-version of lifethread, but the rest is just too cheesy for me.

Very intriguing to me that you of all people like this album so much :D you're the one against the cheese most of the time, while I enjoyed many stuff you classified as too cheesy for you. But maybe you don't hear any cheese in this album... Ah, taste. So intriguing :D

Don't you think it's too cheesy in some parts? I like Rain No Water, Ascend, Lightspark and the downtempo-version of lifethread, but the rest is just too cheesy for me.

Very intriguing to me that you of all people like this album so much :D you're the one against the cheese most of the time, while I enjoyed many stuff you classified as too cheesy for you. But maybe you don't hear any cheese in this album... Ah, taste. So intriguing :D

No to be honest. I just listened to it again yesterday and I didn't find any cheesy parts. Although IMO it's easier to call a dance album cheesy than a downtempo one.

Actually, the E-Mantra downtempo Hermit Sanctuary was one of the biggest surprises as well for me... Haunting, darkish and sensitive ambient, much better than his previous albums imo :)

ps: Oxycanta III was a NEGATIVE surprise, damn, that wasn't clear in my topic... Really dissapointing! (and CC was expected, so not really a surprise) so my top 3 surprises:

- Ovnimoon - Transmutation of the Mind
- The Call of Goa (mostly new names but still kick ass!)
- E-Mantra - Hermit Sanctuary (brought himself onto the next level!)

• 1 month later...

The biggest surprise this year was the emergence of Spacey Koala, a young eclectic producer from Montreal, Canada.

His release, "Clown Therapeute" earlier this year is pretty much locked in as my favorite release of the year!! Also got signed to Terrafractyl's new label "Kinematic Records". He has incredible energy and a great vibe. After seeing him perform in a live setting on 2 kickass soundsystem's... I am assured this guy is going to be a huge hit very soon. He has a new release on the way for sometime in 2014. Can't wait!!

http://spaceykoala.bandcamp.com/

Yaminahua - Derelict (Osom Music)

Khaos Sektor - "Psychedelic Adventure" (Rockdenashi Productionz)

Padmasana - "II" (Dakini Records)

Anjuna Records

E-Mantra - "The Hermit's Sancturary" (Altar)

Sensient - "Way Of The Sloth" (Zenon)

All have been top notch.

Surprises hey... Well when u anticipate a lot of releases so much and listen previews etc its hard to be truly surprised for me hehe. Still though:

Blackstarrfinale album Auryn was one of my most surprising. In the way that it was/is the best crossover or blend of goa/psy album i heard this year. Didn't expect that.

Also as someone mentioned Spacey Koala discovery thanks to Kinematic for bringing him to my attention a while ago. Promising stuff.

Lastly, surprised myself by opening up to and appreciating Sensients new album Way of The Sloth, where as before I would never listen to or couldn't get into that genre. Really good album imo.

This...

The biggest surprise this year was the emergence of Spacey Koala, a young eclectic producer from Montreal, Canada.

His release, "Clown Therapeute" earlier this year is pretty much locked in as my favorite release of the year!! Also got signed to Terrafractyl's new label "Kinematic Records". He has incredible energy and a great vibe. After seeing him perform in a live setting on 2 kickass soundsystem's... I am assured this guy is going to be a huge hit very soon. He has a new release on the way for sometime in 2014. Can't wait!!

http://spaceykoala.bandcamp.com/

...this...

Blackstarrfinale album Auryn was one of my most surprising. In the way that it was/is the best crossover or blend of goa/psy album i heard this year. Didn't expect that.

...and that...

right now it's globular's magnitudes of order. first of all i didn't know it existed unitl ptn brought it to my attention and secondly because it's imho one of the best psychill/psydub albums ever made :)

...and You're welcome :).

Few more Globular-themed posts and I'll look like his groupie.

Don't forget about Phone Booth Robbers, really nice and versatile psychill album.

I'd agree with Hermit Sanctuary.

I thought he earlier E-Mantra downtempo albums were o.k. but lacking any really involving or spectacular moments.

Hermit Sanctuary was much better IMHO. Better atmospheres and more depth.

+1

... and the ongoing revival of the so called goa trance music in general actually ... suddenly all of these unreleased tracks of old school emerge :-)

As I don't have the time to explore everything that's being released these days, I have to be selective unfortunately ... but for instance what heard of Nebula Meltdown seems to be pretty good as well ...

Anyway thanks to those people who put a lot effort in this so called revival ... :-)

There are several big surprises, and one of them is Algae Bloom. I was expecting typical stuff, but instead got an cool atmosphere and sounds that I haven't enjoyed in a while (not to say I don't like other albums, but this one was quite refreshing).

• 2 weeks later...

Not really a surprise since he has proved that he capable of delivering the goods, but after listening to a preview of Trinodias new album , which im going to buy sooner rather than later, i have to say this guy has outdone himself , he has restricted his usage of "spiritual" samples to a minimum , which is a pleasant surprise :D and which now adds to the beauty of the music much more while focusing on the music . his joint efforts with Judaika are frigging awesome. And boy he has done a good , or i should say "Great" job. I dont want to get too excited and create a hype here, but this is sounding like it going to be a massive competitor to Filteria's album for the best GOa trance album this.

Biggest 2013 album surprises? There were a healthy handful for me this year and there's too much crap out there. Stick to quality over quantity such as Altar and Suntrip Records (for starters) and more below. I'm selective but these (and I'm sure a few others) DESERVE attention and to be heard and enjoyed. Thanks for the good thread idea. We should do this every year. :)

Juno Reactor - Golden Sun of the Great East …… A NICE return to form for JR!

Stream here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=juno+reactor+folden+sun&sm=3

Ra - Unearthly …… An unexpectedly beautiful down and mid-tempo surprise from RA.

Stream here: http://www.altar-records.com/ra.html

GoaTree - The Force …… Some tracks really impressed me here.

Download FREE here: http://www.ektoplazm.com/free-music/goatree-the-force

Blackstarrfinale - Auryn …… Another album that deserves to be heard.

Download FREE here: http://www.ektoplazm.com/free-music/blackstarrfinale-auryn

E-Mantra - Hermit Sanctuary ….. E-Mantra's getting better with atmospheric/ambient-influenced PsyChill, Chillout.

Stream here: http://www.altar-records.com/sanctuary.html

For the record, the new Filteria, Nebula Meltdown, and Cosmic Dimension albums are all interesting and unexpected. But after 2009's Daze of Our Lives album, I was NOT surprised when the new Filteria release blew me away and evolved even further. There was only parts of ONE track that I didn't care for (on Filteria 4) and the rest was solid and/or exceptional Goatrance bliss.

Happy holidays everyone!