Ott & The All-Seeing I - Live At Terminal West DVD (Ottsonic, 2013)

Guest antic

0da7.jpg

Tracklisting:

1. Daisies And Rubies
2. One Day I Wish To Have This Kind Of Time
3. Adrift In Hilbert Space
4. Owl Stretching Time
5. Signals From Bob
6. The Queen Of All Everything
7. Squirrel And Biscuits
8. The Aubergine Of The Sun
9. Joyful Wonder
10. Splitting An Atom
11. Rogue Bagel
12. Mouse Eating Cheese
Review:
For everyone familiar with Ott's last 3 full albums (Blumenkraft, Skylon & Mir) this release will not bring anything new except for the "Joyful Wonder" track, but ...damn, it's so great to see Ott on the stage, with Chris, Matt & Nick adding so much to the performance! The tracks themselves are not that much different from on-album versions (same structure, some new / altered sounds here and there), but the presence of real bass guitar, real drums, Nick's singing and Ott trying to play live some of the melodies makes it better in a lot of ways! The bare-footed Chris's bass playing is especially awesome, as he adds new flavor to some of the tracks, in particular some very clever, jazzy transitions in "The Queen (...)" or a completely new bass line in 2nd part of "Owl (...)". The thing is, only LISTENING to it doesn't bring much new, but actually SEEING them have fun on stage adds whole new dimension to the music. Also, in my particular case buying this CD (price is GBP 13 or more) allowed me to support Ott & the band between purchases of full CD albums, because I don't buy digital music and I can't participate in their US tour (I'm in Poland). So, if you can - order this, or better yet try to catch Ott & The All-seeing I in concert.
The sound quality on this DVD is also worth mentioning, as it is very clear, detailed, rich & punchy (though sometimes a tiny bit off of what's happening on the screen) - it is clear that a lot of work went into recording and mixing it. I'm even OK with the overall 'poorness' of the DVD package, as this is clearly a budget release - the sleeve looks like it was designed by a non-professional (bad fonts, too few colors, etc.) and printed at home, there's no inlay, etc.
Overall, a solid 5/5 from me for both the form (the quality of the recording, not the packaging) & the content (music).
The only one thing I hated about it - and it has nothing to do with Ott & the band - was the white-bloused chick in the front row, who danced as if she was stripping on a pole. That was very distracting :)
Edited by antic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...