I was in Greece this summer

radi6404

So this summer at the end of August I went to the seaside of northern Greece. I went to Stavros near asprovalta and it was very nice. The landscape of northern Greece is really beautiful, it is similar to Bulgaria, big and steep mountains, high with lots of rocks, even near the seaside. Some mountains are even shared between Greece, Macedonia and Bulgaria, like the mighty and steep Belazica mountain at Promahon / Kulata. So the landscape directly at the seaside was very good and the sea itself was great aswell, no waves at all at this part of Greece. The water was very clean and you could work in 200 - 300 meters until it got deeper than your body. Ideal conditions for swimming long distances for example, which I did. Swimming on the seaside is easier than on normal water due to the sold inside the water. The temperature of the water was very warm and so it was a pleasure to stay in for a long time. The lack of waves was also great because you would not get sold in your eyes from waves that are higher than your head. If it is not too hot I can go there again.

One think got my attention however and not I was dissapointed. The menu at the restourants were bad. They only listed in a few words what you can order to it, no description about the ingridients, about the ammount of garmish wahtsoever, that was really dissapointing and I have not seen that in other countries yet. The foot itself was very tasty and not very expensive (For Bulgarian standarts however pretty expensive, but for Greek it was ok I think) But very dissapointing was, that the meals included a lot of meat and very few potatos. I ordered a Gyros and it had only about 10 - 15 potatos and lots of meat, the ammount of potatos should have been twice as much. In another restourant I ate a chicken leg and this also had way too few potatos. I hope it is a local problem in Stavros and Asprovalta and not in whole Greece. The salads where tasty however.

The girls I saw there were so incredible it was unbelievable. I don`t know where they were from, lot`s of Serbians, Macedonians, a few Bulgarians and Russians and probably Greeks, but they were very cute and thin. Only the best of the best when it came to girls, it was more than a pleasure to look at them. I could not distinguish where the girls where from, only the people at the beach since I heart which language they used to talk.

The roads however where not very nice and clearly not as good as the Bulgarian roads. But that is normal due to the crysis there is no money to repair or rehabilitate the roads. The motorway from Drama to asprovalta was closed because it is under poor condition.

The Greek music at the radios was nice as I like Greek music. But really why are there only Greek channels in Greece, no international ones? Macedonia is much better, only good music from Macedonia. Macedonia is very fammous for good music, for example their Antenna 5, which plays a lot of electronica.

Yes, that was my report about Greece.

I visited Greece in 2004. or 2005. don't recall well but it was fun, i remember (seriously) that Electric Universe had live in Solun/Thessaloníki in that period of time, but i couldn't go becase we had our travel plan defined earlier, which not included that city, but it was very nice overall, a lot of friendly people, and nice places to visit. I hated the food tho, but being drunk for 5 days helped a lot and now i remember only the good things. Would love to come again and i promised that one day i will for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

Such thing doesn't exist.

Hah, I would say such a thing like good Bulgarian music doesn`t exist, except a few folk songs, but Greece, there is great Greek music in ym opinion, normal Greek music and Greek goa trance, there is great Greek goa trance, but I can`t remember the names of it.

Hah, I would say such a thing like good Bulgarian music doesn`t exist, except a few folk songs, but Greece, there is great Greek music in ym opinion, normal Greek music and Greek goa trance, there is great Greek goa trance, but I can`t remember the names of it.

I'm talking about 'laika' the style you posted. Obviously there are many great rock, pop, edm etc. greek songs, but 99% of greek 'laika' music is pure garbage. The only exceptions are some old songs like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrLmE9HefXU

Socratis Malamas-Πριγκηπεσσα(Princess)

propably the best Greek track of last 20 years

enjoy it

lyrics:
Other things I want and other things I do, how can I tell this to you
I was saying the years go by I will conform
But it is a useless present to change character
It's useless to keep account, it's useless to be correct by force

Outside the wind is blowing and yet inside me
Inside this house, my princess
Your light and the light dance around us
Incredible the world and our character

Other things I want and other things I do, I reached this point
Crooked mistakes and passions proved me right
Daybreak on the road I throw a fishing line
I catch myself and lose my mind

Socratis Malamas-Πριγκηπεσσα(Princess)

propably the best Greek track of last 20 years

enjoy it

lyrics:

Other things I want and other things I do, how can I tell this to you

I was saying the years go by I will conform

But it is a useless present to change character

It's useless to keep account, it's useless to be correct by force

Outside the wind is blowing and yet inside me

Inside this house, my princess

Your light and the light dance around us

Incredible the world and our character

Other things I want and other things I do, I reached this point

Crooked mistakes and passions proved me right

Daybreak on the road I throw a fishing line

I catch myself and lose my mind

The pringipessa that this song talks about is actually a friend of mine... I'm not bulishiting you.

Malamas wrote the lyrics for this song in the summer of 1993 or 1995 (not sure about the year) on an early morning bus to Athens. The previous night , after a performance, he spent the night on the beach with the Pringipessa (Foteini, a very pretty girl with blue eyes and big boobs) drinking a bottle of whiskey that she had knicked from her bother (my friend). The song was eventually released in 2000.

I've never been to Greece ... but nice trip, Radi. Go see more of the world, it's good for you :)

The story about the song is cool ... I find it most cool because there's a bottle of Whisky in it (one that doesn't even take such small a role apparently ;) ) ... I never pictured Greeks drinking that stuff, in my mind it was a drink for bold northeners (rather) who needed it to warm their hearts in the cold times -- it's a drink with warm energies, I picture down there they'd rather drink stuff that brings cool energies, like Ouzo (sorry for the clichée), because the climate's hot already...

Anyway, Ormion, do you have any greek edm, rock, pop songs? I'd be curious to hear some ... I don't really get too much into that "laika" stuff ... but I think you guys certainly have some good stuff ... after all you got Strange Zero, one of the best discoveries of the last years for me...

SCNR, I have to post one of their songs :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNOSSjOGa7U

Take that for "greek" music!

Listen to that music next time you're there Radi ... I would ;)

That's a nice one :)

I don't know how to describe it properly, but I find that there is a certain element of freshness in some of the sound that's coming from Greece and that's what I like -- when I can find it.

Odd Sequence (from Iono Music) would be another example ... I discovered him not long ago and in his sound I once again find this freshness, this uncomplicated plain goodness.

To say that all greek music does this for me would be wrong, by far. But it has struck me not only once these days that it might not just be random preference but that there may be a little more to the reason why I find the sound so good.

I'm even tempted to romantically use expressions similar to what Radi says about the landscapes, that these vibes from a warm sunny climate are soothing and illuminating the cold darkness inside me and that this is the reason why I like them so much ... but alas, it's not like that ;) ... it seems just that some Greeks are creative with sound in a way that's more pleasant for me than it's with others.

I'm eager to discover more though, any time :)