Quality goa trance sound

radi6404

So in this topic I want to talk about quality soundin goa trance. I am not only talking about mastering and mixing, however I also mean that, but also the choosen basslines and processing of synths and effects. Many Astral Projection songs and other Israelian songs have rather good mastering for example, but the quality and processing of sounds is almost non existant in my opinion and the synthpresets are choosen blanc and recorded. Ofcourse there are some effects, but not a lot. Not a lot of stereoimages, interesting and advanced basslines and so on, while other artists have some really interesting sounding tracks. In my opinion the tracks with great soundprocessing sound more complete, because the jounrey is much deeper when the track sounds complete. So I will list some tracks and you can also list tracks and name artists that you think sound good.

green nuns of the revolution - two vindaloos and an onion bhagee

Miranda - U are alone (very advanced)

Man with no name - Under the Influence

Astral Projection - Another World and Amen albums
Green nuns and Tristan - Babylon n´ting

Green nuns of the resolution - cor (amazing sound processing, very exciting)

Etnica - Floating Universe

Etnica - Nice Toy

some other Etnica tracks

Tristan - Audioframe

Hallucinogen - The lone Deranger

All Slinky Wizard tracks

• Like 1

Love the topic I love discussing goa in an audiophile setting :)

I have so many choices. Many of the tracks I love is for the quality alone.

Hallucinogen - the lone deranger LP

Astral - Amen LP

Mwnn - interstate highway LP

sun project - sex drugs acid trance II

Noosphere - carpe noctem

Atmos - drums don't stop

Bpc - antidote (pleiadians remix)

And many many more list would be about an A4 in the 12 px font :)

true for dancing galaxy, low quality instruments and sounds, but a nice recovery in the mastering was done, this is a very unique sound created and even adds up more to the sci-fi atmo

Dancing Galaxy is a perfect track, 10/10 I love everytihng about it. :) Still my absolute favorite Astral track, and I wouldnt want it to sound any other way. I would not want it re-mixed and remastered :D

Personally the pinnacle of goa trance production is Ethereal's Moondawn from Opus Iridium. Just listen to that with a really really good pair of open ear headphones and let the melodies caress your ears until you come with ecstacy. I don't much care for the kick or bass line on that track but everything else is supremely made.

ever since i got my really nice headphones this summer, i have noticed the variation in production quality a lot. and this is the point where newschool goa completely sweeps the floor with oldschool goa. you listen to the classics and they sound great, but then you switch to some artha, e-mantra, filteria khetzal, ra, nova fractal, portamento liquid flow, etc. and a whole new world of sound opens up. most of the classics sound as if they had been crammed into a little dusty box in comparison.

the artists where i have noticed the high production quality most are those i listed above.

but there are a few oldschool albums which hold up to the test of time surprisingly well. off the top of my head these are:

hallucinogen - the lone deranger

morphem - out of focus

and to a lesser extent:

most of the music by astral projection and cosmosis as well as etnica - live in athens / best of unreleased (but mentioning that one is cheating a bit ;) )

oh and btw: ott or cbl are even more amazing than most newschool goa, quality wise :)

dont think its fair comparing new tech with 15+ year old tech. think it should be old school goa only in this thread, thats just my 2 cents though.

it's fairer if you compare those people with (partly analog) hardware studios and most often a background in a different genre of music to us newcomers with digital sounding softsynths, most of whom never made anything else than psytrance.

surely it's still not totally fair, but imho it's more about listening pleasure than fairness, and from this point of view those newschool artists with their rich, huge soundstages definitely need to be mentioned.

In that case I would say

Filteria - wormhole

And artifact303 - feelings.

But feels funny mixing new and old school in a thread regarding quality since tech used is so different.. Don't sit right. Also the style is different it's basically another version of the genre. Not the same music.. As i said that's just my opinion and I will respectfully leave the thread since I'm not comfortable with the mix :P

• 6 years later...

Some of the best stereo imaging and sharpest soundstage can be found in these...

Hux Flux - Experimenting with potions.

(The whole cryptic crunch album actually)

Cosmosis - Disassociation 

Infected mushroom - nutmeg

Beast - spawn / trouble

BIC - Vermillion

Technossomy - VTOL

Xenomorph - Cassandra's Nightmare 

The Deviant - STC

Charm - Brain Structure 

• 3 weeks later...

Nervasystem - Brainradio jumps to mind before all else. The sounds he created are so textured, original, and full of depth, almost on par I'd say with Autechre's newer albums. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/19/2013 at 12:13 AM, aliendna99 said:

dont think its fair comparing new tech with 15+ year old tech. think it should be old school goa only in this thread, thats just my 2 cents though.

yeah, not fair on new school.  To my ears, hardware-based electronic dance musik from mid-90's to early-00's sounds superior to DAW/VST efforts from today.

I would agree late-80's/early-90's sound dated & inferior tech-wise.

• 1 year later...