The great German school of techno and trance

Procyon

The recent thread about X-Dream revived this feeling I always had: why are Germans so good at creating techno and trance? It is funny that two of the most "reserved" people in the world, the Japanese and the Germans have this refinement, this fine-tuned style that, to me, is par with classic music - despite being completely different branches of music. IMO, I think their sense of self restrainment is what makes them express emotions in a orderly way in their music. All nations in Northern Europe have a refined school of electronic music since its origins, but Germany is outstanding in that field.

This is my opinion, of course. But if I had to pick up a place to be to listen to, to experience and dance to electronic music I would be divided between Berlin and Tokyo.

Even though I really dislike "We Interface" because of its electro undertone and those horrible vocal messages, I concede it's a classic on its own.

I always tought Belgium and Holland were the trance-countries, while Germany was indeed more the real Techno-"heimat" (and goa too of course).

I think Germans (I am half German as some may know, lived in Belgium forever tho) are so good in creating techno, because it is very strict music, made in a strict rhythm (the way the German society is more or less imo), combined with the fact people need to break out of that strict society through parties/dancing... Like that you have all to promote more party-music and more precisely, techno imo :)

i put Belgium(ebm,trance,techno early scene) at the same position with German

hmmm ......no one step above i put the Belgians ,are more ''Elitistic''

if I had to pick up a place to be to listen to, to experience and dance to electronic music AT THE VERY BEGINING this would be Belgium

I always tought Belgium and Holland were the trance-countries, while Germany was indeed more the real Techno-"heimat" (and goa too of course).

I think Germans (I am half German as some may know, lived in Belgium forever tho) are so good in creating techno, because it is very strict music, made in a strict rhythm (the way the German society is more or less imo), combined with the fact people need to break out of that strict society through parties/dancing... Like that you have all to promote more party-music and more precisely, techno imo :)

I will go a bit offtopic, but I have to ask you some questions. Ofcourse Germany is a very strict country wit strict laws, a very difficult schoolsystem, hard work for money and similar. But isn`t Belgium the same? Belgium is just as Germany a succesful and prosper country, compared to the South or the Southeast of europe. I always thought the naighbouring countries are just as strict as Germany when it comes to the above mentioned things. There are some differences, for exampl the German laws are very supporting to the employers, while Austria`s laws and Swizerland`s laws are a bit mroe supportive to the employee, but in General those countries are also very strict in terms of laws and the police, so is Belgium different?

i put Belgium(ebm,trance,techno early scene) at the same position with German

hmmm ......no one step above i put the Belgians ,are more ''Elitistic''

if I had to pick up a place to be to listen to, to experience and dance to electronic music AT THE VERY BEGINING this would be Belgium

I disagree. As I wrote originally, northern European countries share the same refinement at creating electronic music. But Germany is really outstanding and has had a regular line of good artists and their works. AFAI remember, Belgium had a peak in early 1990s with a popular, but funny, school of techno. I remember clearly Praga Khan was a hit in Japanese clubs at the time. Of course Belgium scores great in techno ranks, but where's the Belgium's X-Dream? Atari Teenage Riot? Not diminishing Belgium scene, but it pales in comparison to what happens in Berlin. Or Tokyo.

The recent thread about X-Dream revived this feeling I always had: why are Germans so good at creating techno and trance? It is funny that two of the most "reserved" people in the world, the Japanese and the Germans have this refinement, this fine-tuned style that, to me, is par with classic music - despite being completely different branches of music. IMO, I think their sense of self restrainment is what makes them express emotions in a orderly way in their music. All nations in Northern Europe have a refined school of electronic music since its origins, but Germany is outstanding in that field.

This is my opinion, of course. But if I had to pick up a place to be to listen to, to experience and dance to electronic music I would be divided between Berlin and Tokyo.

Even though I really dislike "We Interface" because of its electro undertone and those horrible vocal messages, I concede it's a classic on its own.

It think it's because the whole electro-sounds have a long tradition in germany.

Do you know Kraftwerk ('70s)? They were the first band every having success with electronic beats. Lot of other artists learned from them, not only restricted to electronic stuff, e.g. you can still find a lot of Karftwerk-like sound on today's pop and hiphop.

In germany a whole new subculture came out of this, with more and more artists joining. That's what I mean with "tradition", german pop/funk/whatever was has never been a success compared to other countiers. While on the US/UK bands like the Beatles or the funk-guys (James Brown & co) where spreading inspiration, in germany it was Kraftwerk and the early techno guys they inspired.

This electro-focus still carries on to the present. Berlin for instance is proably the most interesting city to life at if you'r on an electronic genre, simply because of the huge amount of clubs and artists arround there.

[edit] had to add this.. somehow funny how those 'old' guys still run their show after about 40+ years on the bizz =) If you listen to it you probably hear where this clean/defined/sharp German style of electronic beats has its roots ;)

Kind of matches :D Remember an interview with Ralf Hütter (the guy on left on the video above) where they talked about why Karftwerk sounds like it sounds. Short version: after war german entrainment industry was gone. Instead of building a new one, they largely adapted to the American culture. There were very few, to no, successful german artists, but radio was full of US bands. As they started with Karftwerk they wanted to created something different from the US/UK sounds. They wanted to sound 'german' for being recognized as a german band around the world. This were their "static" show with almost no movement on the stage is coming from and also this very strict sounds are a result of it. So you'r right - comes out of that typical german rigidity/stiffness they were trying to convert into something that sounds like music :D

I have Kraftwerk In The Mix. "Radiactivity" is one the most melodic tracks ever written, and there's this sadness in the track one can almost touch. They have been to Brazil a couple of times last years, sold out in minutes. I think it is fair to say that they are the most known German artists abroad.

i think this stereotype of Germans being "strict" and "orderly" is given a bit more emphasis than it deserves. nonetheless, there is definitely something responsible for this 'german' sound which we find in trance and techno. could it be more a work ethic, a fondness for well-made sounds that operate together in a cohesive system? i'd like to tie this to the (also stereotypical) german reputation for precision engineering, but i fear this is more clutching at old, dated cliches to explain something i don't understand

Berlin is a major city for electronic music, but this has more to do with the large empty spaces available after unification, the relaxed atmosphere and liberal outlook of the city's people (which goes against this stereotype of strict and orderly germans). in my experience, the psy scene in Berlin is really not so large (techno and tech-house dominate the landscape here).

just re-read the thread and I think Purple Sunray makes a very good point...Germany embraced electronic music sooner and more widely than most other countries, and perhaps the people's ears became more familiar with the sounds

It think it's because the whole electro-sounds have a long tradition in germany.

i think this stereotype of Germans being "strict" and "orderly" is given a bit more emphasis than it deserves

com'on.. :D i moved over from italy.. there nobody cares if you put your washing or a dish aeria onto the balcony, here it needs about 5min until the first one will show up to explain you where to find the "Hausordung" XD ok.. think the southern piece of germany is even more special on such kind of things.. ;)

This could be right also because there are lots of them in terms of population, so they win statistically (I'm half-joking here ;)), but before someone mentions China or India I'd like to add that Germany and Japan have some sort of love and interest for fresh and innovative technologies.

I agree with Purple Sunray aswell. Kraftwerk (along with some others) started something nobody imagined will be that big.

Bringing up Japan reminds me that I often can blind buy their lounge/chillout/easy-listening tunes, because they almost every time take good care of it. Their love for instruments like piano, violin or cello (+ mixing them with electronics) is almost touchable.

The Germans and Japanese were both copying the Mid-western USA.

Out of boredom and cheep, old synthesizers people in Detroit, Chicago, Minneapolis made some unique, if crude electronic music.

The Germans and Japanese just refined it and popularized it.

Well of course Tangerine Dream, Kraftwerk inspired everyone after.

But Detroit house came from Detroit first. Germany always had a much bigger audience for the reasons mentioned above so the newer styles caught on.

i didn't realise it was all that simple, thanks for clearing it up!

You're welcome, anything I can do to help.