Goa Trance artists who do not take drugs.

ollylovesgoa

I just wanted to know if anyone knew how many of the artists actually did, or did not take drugs, when making, or to inspire the making of, their music.

As someone who does not take drugs anymore i'd be interested to see which artists created their music sober, probably to the surprise of a lot of ravers who I believe go to parties simply to get fucked up and not always to enjoy the music fully and in recognition of its artistic merits.

I think famously Pink Floyd didn't take a lot of drugs when they made Dark Side of the Moon, and now it's become a kind of icon of psychedelia, are there any examples like this in a scene so famously saturated with drugs.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was talking to dj Buddha Bomb at SpaceCamp Psyfari last weekend. There he told me of a party in Arkansas he went to where Cosmosis played. B. Bomb mentioned Cosmosis doesn't use any drugs and that was a cool surprise ;D

I think there would be a loooot of artists.. Who basically "Got the message, so then hung up the phone" to mangle a famous psychedelic quote.. :)

Just because they didn't use drugs crazily at the time or even at all due then doesn't mean Floyd weren't verrrry aware of the psychedelic qualities of their tunes.

Same goes for a lot of artists, I'm sure Billy Cosmosis had his share of experiences in his younger goa days ;)

They just don't need to take drugs to make music to take drugs to anymore :P (half joking!)

I apprecate artists who do not take drugs. Drugs are neither required to appreciate trance, nor to make it. I appreciate Imba does not take drugs, also I appreciate Astral Projection did not take drugs. Simon Posford takes them, but not when he produces music. In a video he explained "that the mashines are too difficult to operate" with drugs. So when he produces he is clean aswell.

Anyway there are better things to make you produce music better, for example great foot with vitamins for the brain, brain enhancers and things that help concentration. If you apir them with a great setup and meditation before producing you will be very good.

Really? Huh. Imagine what he'd be like if he were on drugs.

NO matter what he said and what fights he started, his music is incredible and one of the best of the scene. Elysium contributed very well to the scene and I would say it even infront of him.

I apprecate artists who do not take drugs. Drugs are neither required to appreciate trance, nor to make it.

Why might I ask? How does one's personal life choices affect your non personal relation to artists? I appreciate artists who make the best work; like it or not, 90%+ of whom do some sort of recreational drug use.

I agree that drugs are not required to make trance or to enjoy it. When it comes to making trance being intoxicated is quite counterproductive. In fact, its quite a feat to make a masterpiece while intoxicated.

Why might I ask? How does one's personal life choices affect your non personal relation to artists? I appreciate artists who make the best work; like it or not, 90%+ of whom do some sort of recreational drug use.

I agree that drugs are not required to make trance or to enjoy it. When it comes to making trance being intoxicated is quite counterproductive. In fact, its quite a feat to make a masterpiece while intoxicated.

It is not personal life choises, it is very bad and damages the brain and body, so I don`t like it when people take drugs, especially heavy ones. There is no problem with light drugs like cannabis, but taking heavy drugs often is something I really don`t support, it is not neccessary and there are really other ways that can make you feel happier when listening. So drugs are pretty bad in my opinion.

This is interesting, and I have to admit that while I do not judge others for taking drugs it does please me a little that some of my favourite artists do not, just purely because i have quit taking them (hard drugs) and enjoy the idea that they are producing music for people in the sober mindframe, that can be appreciated fully while not having to be completely off your c

And also. . . Psykovsky?! Would not have guessed that, he makes osme of the most twisted mindmelting tunes in the scene, and I would have imagined him to have some very heavy "inspiration". I guess it goes to show, you can't actually be that high and genuinely create art.

If you've taken drugs before in your life you must already know it's TOTALLY impossible to make psytrance under psychedelics. It takes too much concentration for a good sound design, and you can't concentrate at all under halucinogens.

I think some artists may be working under coke or booze (e.g I'm thinking of a French and an Israeli group).

Though I think many artists play at gigs under the influence. Which contributes to kiling their creativity... And the rest of them like to be a little drunk to overcome the stress, no big deal :)

As far as Suntrip is concerned, can you imagine that guys like Filteria, or Crossing Mind, some of the craziest Goa producers, have never taken anything in their lives?

Besides, 90% of our artists are clean, and those who aren't are well known and aware we'll kick their butts if they soil our name.

My point is: the moment you step into drugs, your creativity is dead, your career is over. Not immediately, but very soon. You'll be condemned to play your old tracks because the new ones will be crap. My advice to any artist (and everyone in general) is not even try "just to see the effect". Just stay away from drugs.

If you've taken drugs before in your life you must already know it's TOTALLY impossible to make psytrance under psychedelics. It takes too much concentration for a good sound design, and you can't concentrate at all under halucinogens.

Don't agree on this. It doesn't work if your about to tweak synth knobs, EQ'ing or other stuff where you need to pay attention to a specific part of the track. You simply lose yourself listening to stuff you shouldn't and generally everything sounds way better than if you listen to it the day after.

But it might help a lot during arranging and early composing. If you setup your rack/DAW beforehand in a way that makes it easy to just dump out ideas on your brain into an audio lane, durgs can help, as you don't really need to think about how to continue.. if the track reaches the end, the sound on speakers stops, but the sound inside on your brain doesn't. So just dump out what's playing there

My point is: the moment you step into drugs, your creativity is dead, your career is over. Not immediately, but very soon. You'll be condemned to play your old tracks because the new ones will be crap. My advice to any artist (and everyone in general) is not even try "just to see the effect". Just stay away from drugs.

I hope this is just poor English or a joke post? To condem all drugs as "bad" is simply silly.. And to say psychedelics ruin creativity? On a psychedelic music forum? Your forum even heh..

Just.. Weird.

Each to their own and everyone should choose what they do for themselves. But let's not say drugs cannot be a positive part of growing as a human being. It's all in how they are used...

my guess is that, just like most human beings, psy artists chose to lie when it comes to using drugs because of the bad stamina drugs have to it... an example, Astral Projection usually say they don't do drugs... but do you REALLY think they'd make a track called Tryptamine Dream if they never touched any drugs?? And I'll never believe that Goa Gill gets the energy to play 24 hour sets just by meditating... And go to any psytrance festival, VERY few artists will look sober (surprisingly though, an artist who openly admits he made tracks under influences of psychedellics, Simon Posford looks pretty straight when performing...).