Padmapani

not bad, but not quite the style i'm looking for.

but it still was a great tip. while looking for the track i found this dj set by him and the majority of the tracks exactly the right kind of techno for me (12:00, 18:20!, 35:40, 50:10, 1:01:00) :)

now i'll only have to look for a tracklist.

it's from 2000, so i slowly get the suspicion that i not only prefer oldschool goa to most newer psytrance, but also prefer oldschool techno to more modern variants ;)

You got good taste :)

Here is something you might like, one of my favorites... maximal and pumping :)

• Like 1

Laid back, hmmm... that is certainly a different take on it. You sure you've listened to it on a PA or some real bad ass headphones at crazy ass volumes? ;)

yes, i did (and i turned up the volume a bit when reading your comment just now), but it has that chilled out dubby vibe about it, you know :). i could dance to it, but i could also chill on the sofa and sip a cool drink.

You got good taste :)

Here is something you might like, one of my favorites... maximal and pumping :)

thanks, and thanks for the recommendation. this is it :D

chilling on the sofa is not an option for this kind of music ;)

and apparently at least one other track from the release is equally good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bv-rf0CNG9U

edit:

they're really interesting guys. i explored some of their other stuff (lots of electro and a bit commercial sounding hard trance), and then i stumble upon this gem:

mechanical, raw, hard, and acid! :)

• Like 1

Glad you like! These audiowarp guys are amazing, I love anything they did, unfortunately they seem to have disappeared.

The one you discovered is nice too!

I kept looking for similar stuff myself, but there is not much. Really makes me wonder what happened to that old kind of mechanical techno. There is Schranz/Hardtechno but most of the time that is just too fast and too primitive for my taste, with the same rythm over and over and no atmosphere at all. And then on the other side there is the more minimal stuff at around 125BPM that we see a lot in this thread.

I don't mean any offense saying this, this kind of techno is nice too, but it really is all over the place, any party you go, there are so few exceptions to that sound. I would really like to know what the hell happened to the 90s/early 00s kind of stuff with 140-150BPM. Excellent drive, good groove and still with some room for atmosphere. At some point, it seems to have gone forgotten.

• Like 1

I kept looking for similar stuff myself, but there is not much. Really makes me wonder what happened to that old kind of mechanical techno. There is Schranz/Hardtechno but most of the time that is just too fast and too primitive for my taste, with the same rythm over and over and no atmosphere at all. And then on the other side there is the more minimal stuff at around 125BPM that we see a lot in this thread.

I don't mean any offense saying this, this kind of techno is nice too, but it really is all over the place, any party you go, there are so few exceptions to that sound.

agreed. schranz lacks atmosphere and has become stereotypical very quickly (when you can have a "schranz remix" of any arbitrary track, you know that the genre has become too formulaic and is basically dead).

regarding the minimal stuff i have to disagree. i don't know how it is in the ruhrpott but in vienna you have to go to underground parties if you want to listen to music like many post here in this thread. over here the "techno" you usually get is more commercial, with a "plastic" sound, 110-120bpm maximum and much closer to house than anything posted here.

Rough clattering mechanical industrial... I was just thinking, did you ever try the Solstice Black compilations? They're a decade old but still packs a big amount of energy.

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Solstice-Black-Compilation-01/master/62544

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Solstice-Black-Compilation-02/master/75524

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not so much into Techno but I have to say that on Saturday I had a blast at the "Tokyo City" bar at Thessaloniki Greece.

This was the event:

I was working at the Thesalloniki International expo and as I was returning to the hotel I just picked up the beat, left my colleagues at the hotel and went to party on my own.  Some great deep,acidic, melodic sometimes even psychedelic techno. Left at 9am and went straight to work, after I finished the initial stuff I had to do, I took a yoga mat and slept at the maintainance balcony of the expo hall, only to be woken up by security (who of course knew who I was) because they called them that some vagrant was sleeping at the balcony. Anyway, they were glad that I had a good night and they woke me up at a good time to go back to work.

This is their resident Dj I think:

My remarks:
We need to get better sound systems at psy parties because their Funktion-one "Dance stack" was simply superb.
Techno people need to relax a bit, their dancing is so mechanic and stiff... GET SOME FLOW PP!

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Guillaume la tortue (Guillaume the turtle), 1994.

Very strange style, difficult to describe, you can hear it's from the same era as Laurent Garnier's first hits (Flashback, Crispy bacon, Dance to the music, etc.).

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I liked Techno before getting into Trance ... but that phase didn't last long, I practicaly only listened to Mauro Picotto
I was 15 and had no budget for any more releases, so forgive me the very restricted musical scope :)

Nowadays I'm rediscovering Techno myself ... I especially like the harder and more industrial stuff...

I got these recommendations ... from hard (dark?) towards more "light" stuff:

second of these is my favourite, does anybody have some similar ones?

• Like 1

And here's a really cool one ... it's these tracks that actually interest me the most, those that not only touch, but also cross the border between Techno and Industrial / Noise ... Ah-Cama Sotz did it:

you can feel it has less bass, but far more bite in the noise - this is what I am after