Padmapani

Blawan is a killer, saw him in December with Shifted, Speedy J and DVS1. Not needed to say that this night was incredible !

I'm not a big fan of Drumcode Techno these days, my tastes are a little darker and industrial, which is not incompatible with the dancefloor. :) But with the summer, and the open air parties, it still works like a charm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSBMKdQUOCc

Discovered Keith Carnal some monthes ago with this fucking awesome set. The 30 first minutes are cool, as it was the opening of the party, but he manages to drop bombs right after and until the end. Tresor is a fantastic club, probably my favourite (been denied of the Berghain every time haha).

nice to see that this thread is getting some love again.

but why is it that the faster (you know, psytrance speed) tracks with a more raw sound almost always have some tb-303 action? not that i dislike acidlines, i just can't believe that there isn't much more such music without acid ;)

hi

i'm currently getting more and more into techno and would like some recommendations. i'm not looking for acid techno, freetekno, techtrance, minimal techno and the like, just plain, real techno. probably i'm still unknowlegable about some of the great classics from the 90s. but mainly i'm also looking for more mechanical, harder sound, maybe with a sort of warehouse vibe to it.

Try to hear our side project S&C, we released album Essences on MHT Records and it contains somewhat harsher techno (don´t pay attention to beatport´s poor tags for genre and tempo) :)

https://pro.beatport.com/release/essences/1254010

• Like 1

Try to hear our side project S&C

Trying is not an option, doing is, when it comes to S&C :D Thanks buddies..again!

• Like 1

Try to hear our side project S&C, we released album Essences on MHT Records and it contains somewhat harsher techno (don´t pay attention to beatport´s poor tags for genre and tempo) :)

https://pro.beatport.com/release/essences/1254010

i've listened to the samples, but it's not my cup of tea (the last track is quite ok though). tbh, i don't think the tags are too far off...

it's civilised, soft, mostly >135bpm and funky. i love techno that sounds more like an assembly line than music (with more of a warehouse than club vibe) ;)

Mmmm I don't know, which layer bothers you ? Maybe you should find some tracks that can be pitched at max ?

there's no layer that bothers me. i'm just wondering why i don't find more techno of this style. i always keep coming back to dave the drummer for that sound. did all the harderm raw-sounding techno merge into schranz and disappear when schranz became forumulaic and subsequently fell out of fashion?

most of the techno i hear in this thread or elsewhere is so clean and laid-back in comparison. it's good music but imho something for a second floor instead of the main floor ;). maybe it sounds different when pitched up (though not to the max, there are other genres that sound better at those speeds), but i'm just a listener, not a dj and there must be people who produce banging techno in the 140-155 range. after all it's a genre that spans a wide range from just above 100 to 200.

• Like 1

@ Padmapani: what about this album Freek Funk by Luke Slater (some raw "assembly line" tracks + also Detroit type tracks e.g. Love)? I haven't searched the whole thread so I don't know if this has already been presented here.

i've listened to the samples, but it's not my cup of tea (the last track is quite ok though). tbh, i don't think the tags are too far off...

it's civilised, soft, mostly >135bpm and funky. i love techno that sounds more like an assembly line than music (with more of a warehouse than club vibe) ;)

well, i shall shoot some material your way... hmmm, i´ll get Saša here - most of it is on his computer, i think he has just the right things you need. Industrial Techno comboed with dark ambient :P

• Like 1

Well, Choxon..your stuff I downloaded today was listenable but you can do better (I am honest now) ;)

• Like 1

De Generic and A New Sound, out of which the first is the one I liked more. Did I ever say that your house act is super awesome and professional stuff? I am absolutely in love with it. This techno is so far nothing special :( Maybe it is good because I don't need to look up to you all the time, hahaha..doing that enough :lol:

• Like 1

@ Padmapani: what about this album Freek Funk by Luke Slater (some raw "assembly line" tracks + also Detroit type tracks e.g. Love)? I haven't searched the whole thread so I don't know if this has already been presented here.

video not available :(

video not available :(

I have no problems with it. Try this..but these are ofc a part of the track (Filter 2 is number 11 track on the album and check also Engine One, number 7 and Freek Funk after that is more melodic) https://pro.beatport.com/release/freek-funk/1343063

not bad, but not quite the style i'm looking for.

but it still was a great tip. while looking for the track i found this dj set by him and the majority of the tracks exactly the right kind of techno for me (12:00, 18:20!, 35:40, 50:10, 1:01:00) :)

now i'll only have to look for a tracklist.

it's from 2000, so i slowly get the suspicion that i not only prefer oldschool goa to most newer psytrance, but also prefer oldschool techno to more modern variants ;)

• Like 1

Great session from Slater, thanks. And you're right, you may prefer oldschool techno !

Check some "Octave one" or "Jack De Marseille" live sessions, you may like their sound.

• Like 1

it's from 2000, so i slowly get the suspicion that i not only prefer oldschool goa to most newer psytrance, but also prefer oldschool techno to more modern variants ;)

Yes, I also - in general - prefer techno released in the late 90s until begin of 2000s. More driving and less minimal than nowadays and tons of top-notch producers around (Beyer, Krome, Stoll, Parisio, Mills, Lekebusch, etc, etc)!

However, I have to say I did not follow the techno scene for quite some years any more, maybe it is getting also more "oldschoolish" again?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

hi

i'm currently getting more and more into techno and would like some recommendations. i'm not looking for acid techno, freetekno, techtrance, minimal techno and the like, just plain, real techno. probably i'm still unknowlegable about some of the great classics from the 90s. but mainly i'm also looking for more mechanical, harder sound, maybe with a sort of warehouse vibe to it.

here are some examples of what i think is good techno (probably influenced a bit from my obvious psy background ;) ) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lw8EhxVv098

or kopfuss resonator - monokiller, but i can't find that one on youtube.

i'm sure that some of you have great tracks to share and pointers into directions that can help me with my search :)

In Techno as long as it has strong bass anything goes. Jeff Mills is spot on mate .

Surprised to see no mention of Boris Brejcha here. He is comfortably my favorite techno of recent years.

His dancefloor stuff is fanstastic, powerful yet thoughtful. His more minimalistic side is melodic, almost melancholic, and still very interesting (rare for me with minimal-esque techno).

^^^ this one has a lovely build

^^ a bit heavier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv1yWbA_0QQ

^^^ a nice journey, more mellow

^^^ unique, twisted, really goes places. Nothing quite like it.

Surprised to see no mention of Boris Brejcha here. He is comfortably my favorite techno of recent years.

His dancefloor stuff is fanstastic, powerful yet thoughtful. His more minimalistic side is melodic, almost melancholic, and still very interesting (rare for me with minimal-esque techno).

^^^ this one has a lovely build

^^ a bit heavier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv1yWbA_0QQ

^^^ a nice journey, more mellow

^^^ unique, twisted, really goes places. Nothing quite like it.

Boris Brejcha ftw

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Laid back, hmmm... that is certainly a different take on it. You sure you've listened to it on a PA or some real bad ass headphones at crazy ass volumes? ;)

Well, I'd not be chillin' to it had I been on a club, just saying :D.