Windows 8... dafuq?

Lemmiwinks

So after some problems with my photoshop I decided it might be better to go for an OS upgrade and... W...T...F??? there isn't even a Start button anymore? I spent half an hour just trying to figure out how to shut down the darn thing!!

So, anyone else tried it out? Are you feeling frustrated too or am I just getting too old? lol

:D wait for 8.1 (think will be released arround oct/nov this year). There the start button will be back because of all the ppl complaing about.. but still not the start-menu as known from win7... just the button :D

Go get http://www.iobit.com/iobitstartmenu8.php as there seems to be no away arround this big-icon-touchscreen shit also if you'r on a desktop.. hugs to microsoft for this.. -.-

So after some problems with my photoshop I decided it might be better to go for an OS upgrade and... W...T...F??? there isn't even a Start button anymore? I spent half an hour just trying to figure out how to shut down the darn thing!!

So, anyone else tried it out? Are you feeling frustrated too or am I just getting too old? lol

Yes youre just getting to old.

:D wait for 8.1 (think will be released arround oct/nov this year). There the start button will be back because of all the ppl complaing about.. but still not the start-menu as known from win7... just the button :D

Go get http://www.iobit.com/iobitstartmenu8.php as there seems to be no away arround this big-icon-touchscreen shit also if you'r on a desktop.. hugs to microsoft for this.. -.-

There is absolutely a way around the Metro UI.

If you dont like the Metro UI (the "big-icon-touchscreen shit") you dont have to use it, you can use the regular windows desktop.

Stop spreading lies please.

There is absolutely a way around the Metro UI.

If you dont like the Metro UI (the "big-icon-touchscreen shit") you dont have to use it, you can use the regular windows desktop.

Stop spreading lies please.

NOW HOW THE HELL DO YOU DO THAT???

ok, although I must admit that once you get the hang of it, it's not that unpleasant, I think one should keep in mind more the tablet-way of manipulating programs rather than the classic desktop way, if you think of it as some sort of Android for desktops it starts making a lot more sense (although you'd wonder WHY would you need Android on a desktop, it's kindof like going the other way around in progress lol). Ah well, I guess I'll give it a few more weeks to really get used to it :)

Windows 8 is not a bad OS, it is similar to Windows 7 but has a few new features which are not bad, the new control panel and many new improvements in the my computer folder. I like windows 8 but for me it is overcrowded and that is why I prefer windows 7 over windows 9. The metro desktop works somehow like a start menu in my opinion, from there you can access important windows features such as turning off the system or reaching control panel but as for safety it is the same as windows 7 in my opinion, so windows 7 is fine. I wish there will be a real upgrade to windows 7 which is specially designed for desktop computers. Windows 8 is a result of the youth and their love for tablets, I don`t like tablets or taking my computer to any place where I am. A notebook is great but for me it can`t replace the desktop. I have a computer with Corsair Force GT ssd and core I3 3240 and it is times faster than a notebook, but on a desktop you can get an core I7 that will overclock to 4,4 GHz, up to 32 GB of DDR3 2300 and very fast SSD memory and a great AMD grpahics card, so a desktop is years ahead of those slow notebooks with crappy mise cinemas, no thanks.

Anything will be fast with a fast Ivy bridge and a Corsair Force GT or Kingston HyperX

well I don't have those and it's still fast lol Plus I prefer doing an OS upgrade rather than throwing my PC to the bin and buying a new one every 2 years ;)

today a pc is nothing expensive anymore. You can keep some parts of it, like harddiscs with your data, dvd burners and cardreader and case. My components were cheap and that way an upgrade every two years is possible. I bought my cpu for 110 €, ym ssd for 104 and my motherboard for 100, than I bought a gpu for 100 €, but you probably don`t play games and don`t need a gpu that runs games well, but I really recommend a corsair Force GT ssd or similar, because your windows will boot in 20 seconds after you press the start button.

My parents have it. Every time I use their computer I find something new to hate about it. It's not just that the whole UI is poorly-conceived; there are so many little things wrong with it.

I'm not an MS-hater; quite the opposite. I love Windows 7. But 8 is just terrible.

today a pc is nothing expensive anymore. You can keep some parts of it, like harddiscs with your data, dvd burners and cardreader and case. My components were cheap and that way an upgrade every two years is possible. I bought my cpu for 110 €, ym ssd for 104 and my motherboard for 100, than I bought a gpu for 100 €, but you probably don`t play games and don`t need a gpu that runs games well, but I really recommend a corsair Force GT ssd or similar, because your windows will boot in 20 seconds after you press the start button.

hmm yeah but that would still set me back a good 300€ at least... personally I always prefer waiting a few years for the newest technology to become a bit obsolete, which allows me to have a good computer for almost nothing (running now on an AMD dual core athlon 64-bit 3800+ based PC I bought for 75€ second hand ;) )

• 1 month later...

I had Windows 8 at work and it had a contribute in me hating the company because I had to work with it. I hated that there was no start button. And the compatibility of the applications was not 100% to my perception, although my boss denied that to me...

Oh well, the new release of 8.1 won't help me now, I don't have the job anymore :P

I find your PC cool, Lemmi ... there's no point in buying the new stuff anyway when you don't need it.

I also lost a job because of some incomeptent boss who told me how to do this and that altough he did not have the slightest clue. He did not understand well but had high expectations about how to create stuff.But windows 8 is great in my opinion. Except the missing start button it is a great system with all the features and apps. Finally we have an OS that comes with more apps build in than earlier windows systems.