Wx31ujL.jpg

Artist: Various

Title: Sideffect

Label: Psynews

Date: July, 2013

01 - Paul Eye & Olisan - Daikaisho (132 BPM)
02 - Hierophant - Intergalactic Love Song (133 BPM)
03 - Zero Point Module - Chromatic Fail (147 BPM)
04 - Kacid - Confusing Patterns (148 BPM)
05 - Saluberrimae - Fl0ating (120 BPM)
06 - Radioactive Sandwich - Sound Vibration Technique (75 BPM)
07 - Seismic Activity - Revelation (140 BPM)
08 - Imba - Moon Tribe (142 BPM)
09 - Lapsus - Normality (147 BPM)
10 - PhonoPhora - Phunnel (Version 1.1) (87 BPM)
I didn't really know Koen.
Spoke to him a few times and the conversations were always pleasant. But when you're used to "seeing" somebody as active as he was in the Psynews forum suddenly...not be there...it's a shock. I don't know the details of his passing nor do I feel I should. All I can hope for is that he found peace wherever he is.
As the promo says this was a contest where members of the Psynews community submitted tracks in a bid to be featured on a compilation. I don't know if this was always planned to be dedicated to Koen or not, but it's a nice gesture and one I imagine he would have appreciated. Voted on by the community this is the result. Mastered by Deimos and artwork by Gasolin3, it's ten tracks of varying bpm's and numerous genres.
Daikaisho- The first track is a gentle progressive trance number that is a nice opener and helps to ease you into this compilation. Soft melodies and bubbling sounds.
Intergalactic Love Song- Didn't Stone Temple Pilots have a hit with...oh, that was Interstate. So obviously we're going bigger. Strong beat and smooth electric piano with long sweeps make this a pumping progressive track.
Chromatic Fail- A galloping futuristic darkish track with metallic leads. Not bad.
Confusing Patterns- Really like the deep bass line, it's got quite the rumble. It's a forest track with a lush atmospheric feel. Sticky synth sounds abound as the sound manipulation moves full force. Two really good breaks as well. What are they saying?
Fl0ating- Smooth and oscillating downtempo that has spiraling leads in a goa fashion. The break felt organic when all the synths dropped out, nice touch.
Sound Vibration Technique- And now a track by the very busy Sandwich! Dubby vibes slowly make their way across a picturesque beach. Strings are plucked, vocals are chopped...It'll keep your head nodding.
Revelation- Good goa trance track that twists the cutoff knob for all it's worth. Once it gets going it's pretty powerful.
Moon Tribe- I believe Imba was the winner of this contest. With this track he stokes the conspiracy fire as the sample about UFO's plays out.
Normality- Lapsus delivers the best track of the compilation with a shimmery and ominous effort. Most aggressive also. Very cosmic and one that will hurtle you through hyperspace.
Phunnel (Version 1.1)- Closing the compilation is a downtempo track that morphs into a deep trance track. Also very dreamy as the dance of the galaxy marches on.
I didn't feel it was proper to crack jokes on a compilation that was meant to be reverential. Just didn't feel right. This is a nice gesture to honor a member of our community. While not the strongest compilation you will hear it shows how much talent is on this forum. With almost an hour and a half of music tracks from different genres are well represented and as a member of this forum I'm happy to have given this a listen. I hope you enjoyed it Koen.
Mdk
  • Like 1

I really have to emphasize this; Daikaisho is absolutely a fantastic old school tune. Everything about it screams that true goa sound! Dark, mysterious and emotional. What a rush.

I think overall the compilation gives a good sense of diversity and a pretty accurate representation of todays style in psytrance repertoire. A couple tracks weren't up my alley, mostly because of the style rather than their inherit quality. Biased or not, it's definitely worth downloading and checking it out. I personally think tracks 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 8 and 9 were all VERY good.

Daikaisho- The first track is a gentle progressive trance number that is a nice opener and helps to ease you into this compilation. Soft melodies and bubbling sounds.

We seem to have a slightly different view on the terms "gentle" and "soft" :) Personally I find it quite harsh and overwhelming at times, like a modulated huge tidal wave (that's what the title roughly translates to).

I really have to emphasize this; Daikaisho is absolutely a fantastic old school tune. Everything about it screams that true goa sound! Dark, mysterious and emotional. What a rush.

Kiitos :)

Although I don't really know what to say about the comparison to oldschool goa. Melodic, yes it is. More like in-your-face psy? T2MU called it prog. I don't know :D

I can see it being a combination of all three. Some of the sounds can seem harsh and metallic, but the melody at around 3 and a half minutes seems delicate to me. The chopped strings after 6 minutes definitely felt soothing to these ears. I think it's cool that there are different opinions on this one track.

Mdk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...