Production vs Live

Slina

It seems strange for people here to be arguing for less integrity. Psytrance ethics - yay, let's make a better world by PRETENDING.

i think no one's arguing for pretending. we're rather arguing that only important thing is the music. i have also come to psytrance many years ago from the freetekno movement and found it utterly strange to be able to see the dj/artist on the stage. on festivals i'll still dance happyly behind the central pillar, where i cannot see the stage at all, if i find a great-sounding spot there :)

Back when I was still playing live I tried to always have the ablility to add or rework something on the fly. I tended to mix my studio tracks down to six tracks (bass, kick, percussion, cymbals, leads synths, background synths and sound fx) on individual channels so I could apply effects and what not on whatever section I felt like at the time. It also helped in being able to adjust mixes for particular venues to some degree. In addition, I always had a large selection of percussion and break beat loops that weren't in any of the original tracks, that I could trigger and work with live via buttons on my midi controller (think like live DnB, etc percussion elements). On top of that I always had my midi keyboard running to two different software synths which I would select in the mix and would then play parts from the tracks or improvise additional stuff over it. I had more than a couple people tell me after live shows that it was the first time they had seen anyone actually "playing" in a live set. Coming from a live music background this seems like the bare minimum to me, but to each his own.