Trance2MoveU

rp6iSZN.jpg

Artist: Tavi

Title: Magnetic Field

Label: Goa Records (Cd) Timewarp Records (Digital)

Date: April, 2013

1. Magnetic Field
2. Step of the elephant
3. The spirit of the east
4. Space Sail
5. Wanderers of the desert
6. Reactive Acid
7. Airavata
8. Desert Wind
9. Neptune

10. Cosmo Elephant

I tried.

vPgVgwB.gif

Ummm...I tried harder than that. Not that I'm faulting your effort, but perhaps you should go look in the bootyliscious section. Hold up, I'll come with you.

I really tried.

This album came out of nowhere and I'm like, "Tavi? Who the f*ck is Tavi?" Then I read a thread in the label announcements section and there was a comment about the mastering being horrible. Like Suncokreti bad? Or I've got really great listening equipment and I can graphically show you bad? Puzzling.

So I was pleased when Renato asked if I would like to review this. Renato what the hell are you doing here? Apparently this album was first released on Goa Records and while still available is now being offered as a digital download from new goa label Timewarp Records. So now I get to give this a proper listening.

First I would like to say the cover is misleading. This type of goa has more in common with Egypt than with space. We've heard cosmic goa trance before and this ain't it. The melodies float gently over each other and evoke images of desert sands. There are nice layers and it is constantly changing shape. Sometimes those leads scream and sometimes they bubble, but what I really liked was that he would go from the wispy highs to the deep lows. As far as the production goes the more I played it the more I noticed the lack of dynamism. It did sound flat in the sense that I felt the need to continually increase the volume to bring out the awesome richness contained within. Not ideal, but not a deal breaker for headphones. On a big outdoor setup though I'm not so sure.

So I decided to do a test. If I compared the sound quality of a 320 kbps copy readily available on the net and the 16 bit wavs Renato gave me the wav files sounded fine. Normally I cannot tell the difference between the two even though I'm sure that debate shall rage on. I don't know enough about the formats to speak intelligently on the subject. I'll gladly listen to anyone to anyone who has more knowledge on this matter because the last thing I want to do is tell people to buy something that is truly deficient in quality. I just don't see that being the case here. Bottom line, if you buy the original or the digital release from Timewarp you should be fine. Imagine that, getting good quality and compensating the artist for his hard work.

Back to my original statement, I tried to find a reason not to like this album. It's just not there. Tavi created a great, melodic goa trance album and I can't wait to get my physical copy.

Highly recommended.

Psyshop

Beatspace

Goa Store

Juno Download (Goa Records)

Juno Download (Timewarp Records)

Mdk

Nice review

Thats indeed strange that there's so much difference in sound. Maybe Renato gave You unmastered or remastered wavs?

I was thinking of buying this album, but samples on psyshop & mp3 dloaded sounded totally fucked up, (I don't know bad production, or mastering)

I just found out about this release (by seeing the review thread). I downloaded something free from the net and don't think mastering is so bad. It sounds very oldschool, musically and also soundwise but its not distorted or superloud.

Kind of like early, unmastered Lost Buddha stuff, good melodies but flat sound.

You say that about every release ;-)

Mdk

:P

Well I consider it be more Nitzho than Goa so the cheesiness is expected. It's nice though. The power is there, the kick ain't annoying, I just wish to be more spacey.

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...