Any pointing device or remote control more efficient than mouse/keyboard?

Hello,

Like many of the rest of us, I have only used keyboard shortcuts and a mouse (trackball) with my DAW and VSTs. I think this is so awkward and so 90's, LOL...Do you use any other pointing device such as a large touchpad or a DAW remote control (such as Steinberg's)? How do you make your life easier and what do you do to save time and effort when using your DAW and plug-ins? How do you cycle through the different windows of your DAW easily and quickly? Please share :)

Thank you!

Eventually everyone will have two screens.

One to view tracklist, one a touchscreen for faders, settings, etc. It will be angled up right underneath the main screen and will be reminiscent of Star Trek NG.

Hum, this sounds cool :)

I'm actually brainstorming to design the setting of my dream with several screens, the racks, the speakers, the console (if any), the pointing devices, the MIDI controllers, the keyboards, the master keyboard, the computer (almost forgot), the little synths...Lots of falks to arrange around one person :)

• 2 weeks later...

I use an Akai LPK25 and LPD8 with ableton. They are cheap and well made (given the price). These are not "pointing devices", but if you are serious about making music, you'll need some midi controllers for twisting the knobs and having "hands on" control over the velocity of your notes. I can really recommend them.

two 20+ inch screens are a must, but that goes without saying of course.

a midi keyboard for keys and drums, and nothing beats the mouse+keyboard for everything else.

(if you are a software music producer)

i really dont see how anything else would help the creativity process than the intuitive nature of mouse+keyboard (and ofc the midi keyboard for knob-adjustments, sounds and fx and in many cases melody and drum programming)

I would love something like a launch pad (such as Novation Launchpad, Ableton Push or Akai APC40, but for Cubase). Also a pad for Cubase shortcuts to trigger its common shortcuts. There are so many shortcuts. Steinberg offers different hardware remote controls but they are too limited...