Nitzhogoa? Where do u draw the line?

Shpongled247

So, listening to the latest JBC Arkadii album (review incoming!) recently I got to thinking why isn't this genre more popular?

To my ears it is oh so verrrry close to the neo goa that we love, yet it seems to be shunned by many. I'm just not entirely sure where the nhitzo line is?

Is it the kick?

The specific high sound?

Overly cheesy?

What is it?

I know it's "uplifting", but frankly to my ears it mostly sounds like some good full power goa trance :D

Unfortunaley many people doesn't like that genre, honestly i'm not the biggest fan aswell, but I can enjoy a lof it, especially music from Sita Records who are releasing and pushing very hard to deliver quality in this style. Good thing about nitzhogoa is that sometimes can bring enormous ammount of positive energy and give that extra punch :) Anyway I think people doesn't find it good enough for their taste mostly because chessy and over the top melodies which are very common in this sub-genre.

One of recent favs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuhA2EQAbXk

love the power and intensity, not listened to much in last few years except for agnetons stuff, which i love very much, he definatley has brought this style into the modern era.

still love cyan and earlier discoble stuff

gota have a bit of cheese with this, it's comes part and parcel with this style

love it or hate it, will always have a place in our world!

• Like 1

What is a cheesy melody? The more I see this description, the less I understand it. "Cheesy" sounds more and more like an all purpose criticism that basically means "something I don't like". How is a "cheesy melody" qualitatively inferior to other styles? I'm confused.

A Cheesy melody, to me, simply means an overtly obvious melody. What you would unconsciously expect to hear.... An Obvious Melody.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Which basically doesn't take you on a musical "journey" or trip because you already expect it because of the notes that came before...

What is a cheesy melody? The more I see this description, the less I understand it. "Cheesy" sounds more and more like an all purpose criticism that basically means "something I don't like". How is a "cheesy melody" qualitatively inferior to other styles? I'm confused.

For me a cheesy melody is when it's closer to bellydance than the traditional goa.

For example eastern melody:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROI1W3Lgqbs

Bellydance melody

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGWt7sf2LvY

Of course objectively it's different to draw a line.

A Cheesy melody, to me, simply means an overtly obvious melody. What you would unconsciously expect to hear.... An Obvious Melody.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Which is basically all Goa is :D

i dont know..i kinda like nitzo..

the first party i went...i remember..they all played some funky psytrance ...and then in the middle of the night

i heard a kick so powerful that the trees were bending ..

i woke up from my tend and go in front of stage...this music was different..

a dj from Greece was invited in my country to play..that was a special feeling listening those melodies..

so..thank you Alebrican..

well..yes i still dig this genre ...

In Belgium I'm even seeing people drawing a line between Nitzhonot and Nitzhogoa... :)

For me Nitzhonot consists of these elements: a hard / powerful / "laser" kick and cheesy melodies. Cheesy meaning high pitched, easy to follow and overly happy. I really don't like this genre. One or a few of these tracks in a set at a party and I'll just run away... Except for Cyan, some Mystica and maybe some others.

A lot of labels are starting to use the term Nitzhogoa and for me that stands for modern produced Goa with these Nitzho elements, but more subtle. A hard kick, but more eastern and complex melodies. But so far I only like Agneton (great to see him getting mentioned here this much! :)) and some works by Filippe Santos (don't remember all the aliases, lol)

this:

I love the power in nitzhogoa, but can't stand the melodies. They are so cheesy they become annoying instead of enjoyable. I only enjoy Agneton.

and this:

For me a cheesy melody is when it's closer to bellydance than the traditional goa.

i couldn't have said it better.

I'm not a huge fan. I don't mind the odd tune or two, but have had enough by the end of an album.

The main aspects I dislike are the too-similar melodies that are so in your face and frantic and the cheese element which I find hard to pin-point and explain, (but the bellydance music quote above, does the job quite well.)

The tunes don't have any room to breathe before you're off again with an O.T.T. Middle-Eastern melody.

I do like the "laser-kicks", however.

I've bought a couple of CDs but, much as I like some of them, I can't wait for them to end by about two thirds of the way through.

Nitzho seems to me to rely heavily on many of the elements that put people off some Nu-school Goa.

My examples

Good:

Bad:

Not saying that PA music is bad overall, some awesome stuff released by Ewoud, but this track is too folkish and doesn't lead anywhere. Some melodies featured in it are based on generic turbo-folk music that has been in the clubs in Balkans for more than a decade and that's probably the lowest point where some musician can go.

Ormion - The old style I know and understand, haha. Normally I love cheesy stuff coming from a trance background but even I cant deal with that.

Richpa - To be honest I dont see much of a difference. Guess because I have never heard of that type of music before and I find the PA fine, not cheesy. Had a look at my discogs and I rated the GAs CD 5/5 where as PAs CD 4/5. So its good but not on the same level.

Richpa - To be honest I dont see much of a difference. Guess because I have never heard of that type of music before and I find the PA fine, not cheesy. Had a look at my discogs and I rated the GAs CD 5/5 where as PAs CD 4/5. So its good but not on the same level.

There is a difference, especially in track development and the pace. Ofcourse all is a matter of taste but the way how Goalien used his melodies is a lot different and more psychedelic than it's case in PA's track. I agree with you, and as I said earlier, this track by PA's is just an example, his other tracks are much much better and I enjoy them alot, but really can't stand that type of nitzho.

There is a difference, especially in track development and the pace. Ofcourse all is a matter of taste but the way how Goalien used his melodies is a lot different and more psychedelic than it's case in PA's track. I agree with you, and as I said earlier, this track by PA's is just an example, his other tracks are much much better and I enjoy them alot, but really can't stand that type of nitzho.

The difference I see is just the person that made it, their style BUT, listening to music in the car this morning I came across this track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YB0nVJcTH8

Does that count as cheese? Just part of it didnt sit too well with me, mainly around the 6:20 mark.

Thanks for trying to 'educate' me, haha

The difference I see is just the person that made it, their style BUT, listening to music in the car this morning I came across this track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YB0nVJcTH8

Does that count as cheese? Just part of it didnt sit too well with me, mainly around the 6:20 mark.

Thanks for trying to 'educate' me, haha

HAHA, actually, I'm not tryin' to educate you or anything similar, you just asked why am i finding Goalians track better than PA's and I posted above the reasons, afterall i'm just expressing my own experience and impression of the music, plus, here on Balkans people got better perception and feeling for eastern/oriental (or how do you call it in Auckland) type of melodies, trust me ;)

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

So, listening to the latest JBC Arkadii album (review incoming!) recently I got to thinking why isn't this genre more popular?

To my ears it is oh so verrrry close to the neo goa that we love, yet it seems to be shunned by many. I'm just not entirely sure where the nhitzo line is?

Is it the kick?

The specific high sound?

Overly cheesy?

What is it?

I know it's "uplifting", but frankly to my ears it mostly sounds like some good full power goa trance :D

it's the hyperdness and Agneton is king of it lol :lol: