• Beyond The Infinite
    • Bible Of Dreams
    • Shango
    • Labyrinth
    • Gods & Monsters
    • Inside The Reactor
    • From The Land Of The Rising Sun - Inside The Reactor II
    • The Golden Sun Of The Great East

Juno Reactor has always been an oddball. While their early albums truly defines the early Goa sound (very 242 inspired), it's not exactly what most people would recognize as Goa Trance today. It's almost more EBM than Trance at times, but that's exactly what made the early pioneers so awesome. They all had their own unique style and sound. Any thoughts?

Juno+Reactor.png

Juno Reactor really did make excellent Goa, but I've only dabbled in their later stuff; it's good quality but not my preference, probably a little too percussive and tribal.

I still play High Energy Protons regularly, and for that reason my vote goes to Transmissions, one of the earliest artist albums to define the Goa sound!

None :P

I totally respect them for being pioneers and Goa owns them a lot, but I never liked their sound. They have some nice tracks like Feeling The Universe and Solaris, but overall I always found their sound pretty dull.

JR were always ecperimental, with live percussion, vocals and dances. That is why they're on a league of their own. You don't even have parameters to compare them to great goa acts, like, say, Astral Projection. They're masters in what they do, but in different ways. No wonder JR realm has reached outside the goa boundaries, while other goa acts are unknown to great audiences - like cinema industry.

Ps. I voted Beyond.

I've not heard the majority of their music but Bible of Dreams - killer!

I saw them in 2010 - did NOT like whatever they were playing ;p seeing them was enough and can now be checked off the list. 8)

JR were always ecperimental, with live percussion, vocals and dances. That is why they're on a league of their own. You don't even have parameters to compare them to great goa acts, like, say, Astral Projection. They're masters in what they do, but in different ways. No wonder JR realm has reached outside the goa boundaries, while other goa acts are unknown to great audiences - like cinema industry.

Which makes you wonder who exactly their audience is these days?

Juno Reactor is an amazing project band that I find as one of the most influental artists in EDM. Over the years JR managed to deliver unique sound exploring many different moods and settings and that is something that makes him special in my case. Collaborations with Jon Davis is something that I would call the true art, perfect example of blending classical/cinematic themes with modern groovy electronica. Seeing JR live acts and concerts is also an amazing experience (even I never saw it live), but various clips from YouTube can give you little piece of that awesomeness. Tracks such as Navras, Masters Of The Universe, Pistolero, Conga Fury, Mona Lisa Overdrive, Mars and others are the essientials of electronic music overall. Latley I'm really enjoying in this track for example, it can be really trippy if you get into it :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAkhYM64usU

Beyond...

but Labyrinth has a special place in my heart because I love the matrix series.

As mentioned before, JR is big in Japan, I was in Tokyo in 2001 and HMV was full of JR Oddyssey posters.

I didn't like Gods and monsters but their latest album is very good.

I've heard the live band 3 times... can't say that I was impressed... I mostly enjoyed Masters of the Universe... other than that not much.

• 2 months later...

Beyond...

but Labyrinth has a special place in my heart because I love the matrix series.

As mentioned before, JR is big in Japan, I was in Tokyo in 2001 and HMV was full of JR Oddyssey posters.

I didn't like Gods and monsters but their latest album is very good.

Interesting. Gods and monsters is a very chaotic album. But it has several very good tracks - I mean, melodies. Inca Steppa is good, Immaculate Crucifixion, City of the Sinful, Tanta Pena, even the song Perfect Crime are great. I can get used to some of the rest.

On their latest album Golden Sun..., I failed to detect any good melodies. It's all top quality and big style, but the melodies are simplistic, it's mostly just one big ethnic soundscape. I'd call it elaborate emptiness, as far as melody is concerned.

Transmissions was, is and always will be the definition of Goa Trance for me. It transports back the beaches of Goa & Thailand. The smells, sounds and substances. It's such amazing album. Now they play for the goth:new EBM scene. They are still huge in Japan so don't need to make it elsewhere.

I saw them live many times but prefer their studio work.

The only album for me that comes close is Astral Projection - "Dancing Galaxy". Mostly as I lost all my music whilst backpacking Asia and this was the only tape I had left for 3 months :)

Beyond The Infinite is my favourite. There are some amazing tracks on there. The start of Ice Cube where the beat first drops is awesome. (The whole track is really!) :D

I lost interest after that album, tbh. They seemed to try to diversify, but I wasn't keen on the new elements they introduced.

• 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...