• Positive
    • Lunaspice
    • Auricular
    • Gecko
    • Subsonic
    • Change Of Air
    • Symbol
    • The Beauty Of Noise

Shiva Chandra is one of those few artists with a special sound. you recognize his tracks under a million. not everything is gold but i always enjoyed specific tracks in every album, with Positive being the definite highlight. Cristal Splitter and Essence are the tracks which got me into his music and i still love em!

• Like 1

To me, Shiva Chandra aka Daniel Vernunft is an absolutely awesome artist. There practically is nothing you can compare him with. He has a sound so unique it is very recognizable. Even when he makes these days more stuff that goes into the classical "progressive" direction, it still has several key elements that are sounding very characteristic for him.

At first, I couldn't connect with his sound (I didn't know Spicy Moments back then -- that's probably the most accessible album for fans of "traditional goa"), it was too strange for me and too monotonous.

Only after I had recognized the genious in the repetitiveness and the characteristics of the harshly cut type of the kick and hihat combo that gives it a very pushing feel ... and the awesome combination of melody bits thrown in here and there (such as in some of the stuff on Lunaspice), then I saw clearer and got totally hooked on this stuff over time. Meanwhile Shiva Chandra is one of my favourite artists. And with the last album, he proved for me that the psy music is not dead, actually far from it.

I really like about him also the fact that he uses totally own and incredibly originally sounding effects. There is not this deja vu feeling of some voice sample from sample CDs used by several guys or this and that synth preset ... no, he twists and turns the sounds all by himself, sometimes using uncommon methods -- I for example believe the sounds at the beginning of "Microphone" created with the mouth (by himself?) and so on...

There is actually no bad track from him, I have discovered. There are just tracks that fit the current mood and tracks that don't. But a bad one I never recognized -- and if, then I discovered it to be not so bad at a later time. It has to do with these key elements I explained above, the tracks just have such a natural and uncomplicated feel to them, as if there were integrated into my brain, kinda.

For the vote I picked Auricular as I think that's the album that most represents the style he is known for. I do like the three albums before a lot too though, almost equal. The style just got more cracking with Auricular and that's what I like most. Actually that was the point where I find the tracks the most cracking in his entire period. The later albums I do like a little less, but it's just a very little bit...

The warm sounds he uses can't make me dislike anything. Yes, that really fits ... because even if the track might be rather on the progressive side, the sounds always have this kind of warm and rich character, like coming from a vinyl...

The best track, I have to say, for me is Remote Controlled though. That's largely due to the fact that I have been running to it on some travels though and saw the beauty what this track actually holds ... when you reach a passage with great view for example and this one plays and you just can't stop running on and on and on and get even more endorphines from all this ... granted, chance has to be on your side, but it surely was on mine and I do have to say that due to this, I love to get remote controlled by this track anytime anywhere now.

Remote Controlled, together with Return To Atlantis on a 12" vinyl, 45 rpm, etched deep and widely -- that would be my dream! I swear, one day I'll etch it myself if it's not coming otherwise.

• Like 1

Guest D N H

I voted for his fist one. Mystical! His following albums are coming after. He was a master of liquid sounds. The first era was magical.

The progressive change in his sound was a little bit of a cold shower but nonetheless has interesting facets and remains of his minimal goa sound that make him recognizable and uplift the feeling.

• 3 weeks later...