Travel - Your Best Destinations?

Shpongled247

So it seems a lot of people here are well travelled, so lets share your favourite places you've been and why!

I'm a quarter way through my 2 year UK/Europe odyssey and I have so far loved Greece the most actually. Santorini in non peak season is something everyone should do!

Haven't really seen that many countries yet as we have been setting up home base in London, getting jobs etc. Soon though Croatia and its gorgeous islands beckons and of course Lost Theory heh.

So where should we go next? What are some beautiful, perhaps not so mainstream places you have been? :)

I haven't travelled much. Basically just Egypt and London. London was cool for being new to me, but realistically it's just a city. Egypt was great outside of Cairo, though I'm not sure I'd recommend travel to it at the moment.

my special places: peru +1, bolivia +2

but: don't care too much for the places, countries or whatever

the best places where i have been were these where i had the time to connect to people, to share experiences and to get into touch with culture, live and time - no matter the place

simply: don`t be in a hurry !! take your time ! breath !

as i'm from europe, all of it is a bit boring as a travel destination to me (also on the expensive side for sure). if i had to reccomend cities i'd probably say lisbon or amsterdam.

i've also travelled quite a bit in asia. my favourite cities there were chiang mai, kandy, vientiane and penang.

generally thailand imho is an excellent country for a first trip to asia. easy going, everything works, low risk of getting sick (oh india, why do you always give everyone the shits? why? you'd be so great otherwise), european quality healthcare, and depending on your destination you can have everything from tourist hell (completely commercialized shithole) over tourist paradise (being nearly alone at a kilometer long white sand beach, but still have everything you could want) to a completely authentic experience (don't expect to be able to eat at a restaurant in chanthaburi if you can't order your food in thai from a menu in thai script).

for beaches i could reccomend ko phangan (go in september or so, the beaches are nicer then and most of the island turns into "tourist hell" over the winter holidays; and go quick too, it gets more commercialized every year.), the west coast of thailand above phuket (powdery white sand and not much esle as far as the eye can see) or of course goa.

the best destination of course depends on what you want. for simply having a good time i'd say thailand, for relaxing and doing nothing nothing beats laos, for blowing your mind definitely go to india. sri lanka is somehow like a gentler, more comfortable but less mindblowing version of india with the added bonus of not having to spend weeks on the toilet. :). of course all this is pretty subjective.

for sightseeing and cultural interest of course all of these countries and those in the vicinity i omitted have more than enough to offer.

Places you should visit at least once: Tokyo, Hong Kong, Singapore, Sydney, Bali, Rio de Janeiro

Places I'd like to visit again: Queensland Australia, Chile

Places I want to visit but haven't been yet: New Zealand

So far my favourites are India (everywhere except Goa) and Berlin.

Since you are in London, a trip to Berlin with RyanAir, EasyJet and AirBnB costs nothing.

I've been to most of the EU and the only country I feel very intrigued to explore is Spain, the rest (can't say bout Greece since I'm Greek) I wouldn't care much.

My favorite so far is Japan -- Shibuya//Tokyo, and Kyoto. The culture and architecture are SO different from anywhere else I've ever been!! Felt totally foreign, and at the same time felt like the people there went out of their way to make me feel safe, comfortable, and welcomed everywhere I went :) Such a beautiful country, with a real emphasis on inner peace and aesthetics. I only wish I'd had the opportunity to dig into the electronica scene.. Hopefully I'll get another chance someday :D

My favorite so far is Japan -- Shibuya//Tokyo, and Kyoto. The culture and architecture are SO different from anywhere else I've ever been!! Felt totally foreign, and at the same time felt like the people there went out of their way to make me feel safe, comfortable, and welcomed everywhere I went :) Such a beautiful country, with a real emphasis on inner peace and aesthetics. I only wish I'd had the opportunity to dig into the electronica scene.. Hopefully I'll get another chance someday :D

Make the effort of going to at least one psy party while in Japan, it's unique. Avoid Zepp club, my advice.

Of all the places I've been so far my favourites are:

Rome - probably the most amazing place I've been. Every street or corner has the most amazing buildings/fountains etc

Bali - Just loved it there. Love to go back

Estonia - Tallinn is a beautiful city and well worth a look.

Really enjoyed singapore while I think about it.

I want to explore germany some more.

funny someone mentioned toyko

I spend a day there once and it really didn't do anything for me.

• 4 months later...

I've mostly traveled in the U.S. and been to Mexico. East Coast is fine, but not my cup of tea. I haven't been to the west coast, but I would like to eventually. Texas was hot as hell when I went there, but we didn't stay there for too long. But Mexico was really fun. I prefer the west coast of Mexico over the East Coast, but the place is nice in general. Best part has to be the ocean, I love the waves, especially when it's thunderstorming, the waves get a lot bigger and crazier and it's fun to jump them.

This thread shows what I´ve been observing for a long time now. Many people don`t have much of a personality and the only important thing to them is, please their friends and people arround them. Theyd do whatever neccesarry in order to get positive feedback back from others, don`t caring about their personallity. Otherwise this thread would not be full with India and Japan as a favourite destination, ingoring all the other beautiful countries, mountains and islands in the world. What about all the ruopean countries? The alps? Croatia? France? Spain? Protugal? Bulgaria? Romania? The Balkan countries? What about Africa, Asia (not only India and Japan), America? So many beautiful places and everyone ignroes them. It is hard to see for me how people list only one destination country.

If this is your real personal choise, I am glad to read it, but is it really your personal choise?

I had not travelled anywhere but in mainland uk until this october when i went as a companion to Paris to photograph Pere Lachaise....I was blown away by that cemetery...i had a little wander into the center of Paris but I just wanted to wander around close by to where i was staying to be truthful...

Has it given me the travel bug? hmm maybe, i have booked for Boom in Portugal in August.....need to do some serious saving now....

Australia for the win!

what a country, like the people, like the beaches, incredible landscapes, and when i was there in 2011-2012 there was work everywhere, so easy to work 80 hours a week if you want, not full of legislation like France and other european countries.

Favourite places: Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth, Darwin... Carnarvon a small charming town where i met my wife, Karratha (awful place but full of work :D mining town), Kununnura (very hot, worked there too), Alice springs (Ayer's rock).

i must admit i am not a big fan of australian beers :D i like some of them but 80% of the ones i tried are average IMO compared to belgian, german beers.

Towns i visited in Europe: Koln (Germany, very charming!), Amsterdam (great), Lloret del mar in Spain (so so, too dirty), Como (Lake in Italy, awesome! i swam the entire lake (2 and half hours haha, deserved the pizza afterwards), Malmo in Sweden (great but expensive), Brussels (nice but not my favourite, great beers), Vienna in Austria (really pleasant place).

in Asia: Bali (overrated, some places like Kuta are very dirty and too busy), very kind people there

Thailand: depends where you go, Bangkok is very busy not the best place, Kho Phi Phi is awesome, Phuket, so so full of prostitutes of course

Philippines: liked it! like the people and the places but that was weird, as a western guy people were looking at me like i was a movie star

Singapore: absolutely love it, this is one of the place i would love to live in, clean, great people, you feel very safe... but very expensive.

If everything goes well i'll go to Canada next year for at least a year, try to work there

Otherwise this thread would not be full with India and Japan as a favourite destination, ingoring all the other beautiful countries, mountains and islands in the world. What about all the ruopean countries? The alps? Croatia? France? Spain? Protugal? Bulgaria? Romania? The Balkan countries? What about Africa, Asia (not only India and Japan), America? So many beautiful places and everyone ignroes them. It is hard to see for me how people list only one destination country.

can u actually believe it??

I have so far loved Greece the most actually.

Haven't really seen that many countries yet as we have been setting up home base in London, getting jobs etc. Soon though Croatia and its gorgeous islands

Peru is probably my favourite of all the places I've visited for holiday.

I haven't travelled much. Basically just Egypt and London.

my special places: peru +1, bolivia +2