Are you addicted to the Internet?

Procyon

I know I am almost there: I read at least 3 books a month. Lately, only half one. This is the clearest sign that the net took over me. I blame my iPhone, too easy to get connected. I read that in some countries they are already offering tech detox treatments. I wonder that those who play games online (I don't) must be in a worse shape.

It depends. When I decided to go to fusion in '08 on a bike from Stockholm I was without internet for roughly 3 months. So I might manage if I simply put my mind to it.

The web is still wonderfully sweet.

I read at least 3 books a month.

What does that have to do with internet addiction?

I'm not addicted to the internet. Most of my internet time takes place at work when I don't have anything to do, so I find stuff to kill time. If I were never on the internet at work, I'd probably spend an average one hour a day.

Sometimes I wonder about this too. But then I think: What is an addiction?

To say it in quantities: On an average day I am online for about 2 hours. 1 hour fora / chat, 1 hour looking for new music / movies / information (nature, tech stuff, the news...). So yeah that's a lot actually. But it's the only way to find art, stay informed and to stay in touch with friends that I otherwise couldn't keep contact with. These things keep me healthy as an individual, so I don't call it an addiction. It's more like a convient means to fulfill my needs :)

I am surfing the web probably 80% of the time when I am at home and have no visitors. Easily for 2 to 8 hours a day. It depends a lot on if I'm in the "flow", like at times every interesting new website leads to another 2 of that sort. But I really like going out into the park to play some chess or visit friends and I enjoy that so much and don't miss the interest in the least then. I don't have a smart phone because if it's really important I can use a smart phone of someone else to check something online and it's great to be practically exclusively offline when outside. When I'm about to leave my flat I'm really looking forward to being offline, when I'm heading home, I'm really looking forward to being online. :D

4chan is great because free speech, but there is so much (real or pretended) hostility there, that I try not to spend too much time there.

Used to be, to a certain extent. I still do spend a lot of time on the internet these days but I no longer have a strong need or ''abstinence'' to check in constantly and see if I've missed something. It's a great way to kill some time, but eventually, it gets boring.

Mildly addicted. For example if im doing some important work , i'll suddenly get this brainwave to check something . and since its just a mouse click away ill check it anyway and would probably spend more time reading than i should. If information was not available this way it wouldnt be such a distraction and an addiction. Its a temptation that one just cant resist. which is why ive completely gone off facebook and slowly weaning off forums as well, this has freed up a lot of time that can be put to good use . for some reason i cant get rid of psynews! :P

Regarding reading i know what you mean, i tend to get distracted because the laptop is on playing music while im reading and something or the other crosses my mind which makes me put down my book and go online. not good !!

What does that have to do with internet addiction?

I'm not addicted to the internet. Most of my internet time takes place at work when I don't have anything to do, so I find stuff to kill time. If I were never on the internet at work, I'd probably spend an average one hour a day.

I meant that the time I used with a book on my backyard, reading and having a coffee now I use it with my iPhone. My net time is not at work, it's when I am resting.

I am definitely addicted.

One of the reasons though is that i am a gambler (betting on sports, 95% on tennis) so i can't live without the internet really :P

But i have to say this is not really an enjoyable thing, i should spend more time outside, especially doing sport, i 'm trying to!

What do people do who are addicted to the internet? What is out there that provides such ceaseless interest?

I used to spend more time online, usually either reading about certain subjects and learning new things, or checking out music. These days I find very little to be of interest, and I don't have the patience to comb through tons of music.

What do people do who are addicted to the internet? What is out there that provides such ceaseless interest?

I used to spend more time online, usually either reading about certain subjects and learning new things, or checking out music. These days I find very little to be of interest, and I don't have the patience to comb through tons of music.

I do the same things as you mentioned: Looking up information and looking for new music. I even have a folder of Word documents in which I store the most interesting info (about music, nature, technology...) and I have lists of all the best music tracks I know, all the cd's, movies and games I own, all the cd's, movies and games I want to check out...

I can't understand how anyone can feel bored nowadays. I feel like a day is 24 hours too short!

(Yes, I have a problem)

I've been bored a lot in my life, and it doesn't necessarily mean there's nothing to occupy my time. It means nothing sounds interesting, and I take it to mean there's something missing from my life in general. I was bored last weekend, but I couldn't think of anything I actually wanted to do, so I just got drunk. That kills boredom.

I've been bored a lot in my life, and it doesn't necessarily mean there's nothing to occupy my time. It means nothing sounds interesting, and I take it to mean there's something missing from my life in general. I was bored last weekend, but I couldn't think of anything I actually wanted to do, so I just got drunk. That kills boredom.

It seems that you just are not able to appreciate life. Like, e.g., seeing pleasure in a simple walk thru the mountains. Once you start seeing boredom in simple things, even major events will be meaningless. But it's never too late to learn that.