So does everyone here dislike Darkpsy?

Ormion

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ill add Tryambaka - The Colour of Time

Maybe a bit on Twilight side even but I've always thought it was a really good album.

I don't consider Tryambaka as darkpsy. For me he's 100% Twilight and yes he's awesome. If you like his musIc check also Sick Addiction (Tryambaka+D_Maniac)

I don't consider Tryambaka as darkpsy. For me he's 100% Twilight and yes he's awesome. If you like his musIc check also Sick Addiction (Tryambaka+D_Maniac)

Yeah it is more twilight like. Though to me no one sounds exactly like Tryambaka. Really has his own style. And I love Sick Addiction almost as much, not quite though.

I think there is a fine amount of difference in the darkpsy world, ranging from predictable bass progression to magical exotic innovation that bends worlds and twists realities.

If you want to hear the more interesting side of dark music, this thread certainly covers many forms. Pentax and Derango are two of my favorite artists period. "The Horn" by Penta and "Tumult" by Derango are two fantastic, interesting, engulfing albums that are also perfect for any dance floor. However, there arer still boundaries waiting to be stretched... And artists such as "Spruce" have captured my heart in this concept.

If anyone here has the time, jump into this album, open up your mind, and expect the unexpected. It is truly an amazing experience.

http://www.psynews.org/forums/index.php/topic/66057-spruce-ubikvad-omniheita/

If this is dark, then yes I do like some selected tracks/artists

From a great album too! Imho Fragletrollet gets overlooked a lot when mentioning the masters of the forestgenre.

This is my favorite from the album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIyctAX4lKo

And no discussion about darkpsy/forest would be complete without mentioning the Master!

Pure Forest for me :) I even call it "oldskool Forest", because he's still true to his style since the first Schlab cd's, and it's more melodic than common Forest. I even play his tracks in Oldskool Goa sets.

I like a lot of Darkpsy, but not the type heavy with horror samples and all that evil stuff. Seems a bit childish to me.

Not as keen on some of the Hi-tech styles, especially when it gets too glitchy and the beat & flow is constantly interrupted.

I love Forest, but more the Parvati sound to Ka-sol.

I think in general Darkpsy can be a lot more hypnotic, trancey & psychedelic than full-on / regular psytrance, as it relies less on commercial sounding breakdowns and obvious hooks. It's easier to get lost in. (Like Goa Trance.)

To the person who asked why its so fast heh.. I don't like super fast psy core but fast dark doesn't sound fast at all when you are tripping properly. Quuuiiiiiiite cruisey actually :D heh Maybe that's why!

I USED to like dark psy, but personally I find it kindof peaked around 2005, there were LOADS of great dark psy tracks at that period like Para Halu - Let The Peace Control Your Body, Ghreg on Earth - Siren Stars, Ocelot - Upward Spiral, Psyfactor - Frear Square, Psykovsky - Corpos Mentis...

Afterwards everything just sounded as a pale copy or a play in the "my shit is faster than yours" game, where artists seem to just throw in random noises on high BPMs... The ONLY dark psy album that I've listened to lately that has some integrity left is Oerstis - Recursive Consiousness

This is how dark psy SHOULD sound like IMO ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8aUjtDflco

oh yeah, this one always brings a smile on my face like "who in his right ming would think of chanting a mantra on this music???"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiBbEVERXV8

PS I think not many people here realize that this particular substyle is oriented towards ketamine, whereas most psytrance has psychedelics in mind? I think that's the main reason why most people of the "old" generation don't really dig it...

What? No.

well it just so happens that almost all the people I know of who are like 100% into dark psy are also very much into ketamine... coincidence? I think not ;) I have also experienced this music on special K and I must admit it DOES make a lot more sense: the ultra-fast bassline prevents you from going to sleep, and all those random screechy WTF noises go well along with the random WTF feeling of a K-trip :) I mean, just like with psytrance, one COULD apreciate it when sober but little details DO make a lot more sense when you take the substance that the music was designed for...

Also, from a practical point of view, really long festivals rely more and more on dark psy... why is that? Take acid 3 days in a row and the 3rd day your tolerance will build up so much that you won't feel much more than drinking a cup of coffee... ketamine on the other hand works indefinately when taken regularly (ok, there's also a tolerance buildup but way less than to psychedelics). The more you think about it, the more it explains stuff on how the scene is turning rececently ;)

I'll agree with the guys saying that I wouldn't mind listening to A LITTLE BIT of good forest or Dark-psy at home but I don't want to listen to it at a party......

AND BTW

1000th post biatch

well it just so happens that almost all the people I know of who are like 100% into dark psy are also very much into ketamine... coincidence? I think not ;) I have also experienced this music on special K and I must admit it DOES make a lot more sense: the ultra-fast bassline prevents you from going to sleep, and all those random screechy WTF noises go well along with the random WTF feeling of a K-trip :) I mean, just like with psytrance, one COULD apreciate it when sober but little details DO make a lot more sense when you take the substance that the music was designed for...

Also, from a practical point of view, really long festivals rely more and more on dark psy... why is that? Take acid 3 days in a row and the 3rd day your tolerance will build up so much that you won't feel much more than drinking a cup of coffee... ketamine on the other hand works indefinately when taken regularly (ok, there's also a tolerance buildup but way less than to psychedelics). The more you think about it, the more it explains stuff on how the scene is turning rececently ;)

I highly doubt that what drugs are you using have anything to do with what music do you listen to. I have friends who smoke pot and listen to greek pop music and I've met guys that take LSD while listening to New Metal.

I think you overestimate the influence of drugs in psytrance. I highly-highly-highly doubt that festivals plan their line ups by taking account what drug is 'hot' at the moment.

BTW wich festivals rely on darkpsy acts? The only ones I know are the ones that have exclusively a dark-ish line up. Otherwise most big, long festivals rely almost exclusively on full on and prog.

I highly doubt that what drugs are you using have anything to do with what music do you listen to. I have friends who smoke pot and listen to greek pop music and I've met guys that take LSD while listening to New Metal.

I think you overestimate the influence of drugs in psytrance. I highly-highly-highly doubt that festivals plan their line ups by taking account what drug is 'hot' at the moment.

BTW wich festivals rely on darkpsy acts? The only ones I know are the ones that have exclusively a dark-ish line up. Otherwise most big, long festivals rely almost exclusively on full on and prog.

you're joking, right? Of course it's not an obvious link, there's a continuous feedback, ie. people onto a certain substance will "dig" a certain artist, and the bigger the crowd wanting him, the higher the chances are that he'll be booked at festivals. Now, I don't want to come off as some druggie, and like 98% of the time when I listen to music I'm sober, but claiming that psytrance is NOT made with a certain substance in mind is being WAY into denial mate...

you're joking, right? Of course it's not an obvious link, there's a continuous feedback, ie. people onto a certain substance will "dig" a certain artist, and the bigger the crowd wanting him, the higher the chances are that he'll be booked at festivals. Now, I don't want to come off as some druggie, and like 98% of the time when I listen to music I'm sober, but claiming that psytrance is NOT made with a certain substance in mind is being WAY into denial mate...

I'm not that much into drugs, but I have a very hard time to believe that when an artist sits down to write a track he's thinking about what kind of drughead his audience is.

Just because some tracks sound better under an influence of a specific drug (for example ketamine works better with darkpsy like you claim) that doesn't mean that this kind of music is written to appeal to the specififc drug users.

I'm not that much into drugs, but I have a very hard time to believe that when an artist sits down to write a track he's thinking about what kind of drughead his audience is.

Just because some tracks sound better under an influence of a specific drug (for example ketamine works better with darkpsy like you claim) that doesn't mean that this kind of music is written to appeal to the specififc drug users.

lol didn't it occur to you that maybe the artist himself is using that particular subtance? Electronic music history is FULL of examples of certain styles that became huge at the same time that a certain drug became popular...