So does everyone here dislike Darkpsy?

Ormion

we all like or dislike music right away. the dissecting comes after when you wonder 'why'

so naturally, dark psy for some of us doesn't naturally stick

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought you were more in Forest and not 'regular' Darkpsy. My bad. :P

Haha, well did you mention what regular darkpsy is, and that was specificity what you meant?! :P If you meant psy-core/hight tech/glitch what ever people call it, I could see there would be less completely dedicated followers ;)

And yes I am total forest freak, but I do listen some dark psy, but mainly the "old-skool" kind ;)

But some forest also is quite related to "regular" darkpsy, like this fx:

Flipknot – Temple At The Edge Of Infinity

^ that Flipknot song is a perfect example where the effects can be something special but they don't exceed throughout the track. I like this bassline.

Im stumbling through cds today and I find this track - may not help convert anyone but strong buzzing chainsaws to the ear ;O

go to 2:12

Fungus Funk - High Feelings

Yes many darkpsy sound as forest and many forest as darkpsy. For me they share more similarities than differencies this is why I found strange for someone to like the one, buit not the other.

I also like psycore as long as is not too fast. Everything above 170-175 bpm is too fast to take it seriously.

I don't like it much. In this case it isn't the fact that it goes too fast, since BPM are quite low on this track for a dark psy trance, but it's background sound. It come and goes but nothing really get builded up in the back.

what about this one, eatable enough for you :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wFOflnrZhE

What do you think of this?

[media=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH0vcHYQ6Dk]

[/media]

I think it resembles a lot full-on with schizophrenic sounds in the background. If you swap it for a more space texture, it will sound like fine full-on. I like Mubali and Ocelot, but I can listen to their CD only once, after the third track it starts sounding like just one huge 60 minutes track. The FXes are overused by everybody in the genre.

But I think that darkpsy (the good one, I mean, under 145 bpm) works only with megablast sound systems, in parties and clubs. At home, with earphones, it sounds too frenetic and dizzy.

But I think that darkpsy (the good one, I mean, under 145 bpm) works only with megablast sound systems, in parties and clubs. At home, with earphones, it sounds too frenetic and dizzy.

For me it's the other way around. I'm a huge darkpsy fan, but I don't really go to darkpsy parties. I find darkpsy really difficult to dance to. Then why I'm listening to it? I think it's the best music for mindfucking. And that works better when you're alone than while hanging with others. I also don't like when the bass is too powerful in the parties and that goes for every music. I remember in a Psykovsky party all I could listen was the bass and none of the other sounds. Bummer.

Also darkpsy and all dark music is better suited for open parties than clubs. (Although that applies to all psytrance genres).

Like I said in the other thread I find darkpsy a really introvert genre. I prefer to listen to it in my mp3 player while walking in the city at night. It gives me an isolation feeling. It's very eerie.

what about this one, eatable enough for you :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wFOflnrZhE

this is actually pretty ok. you can surely tell a nice story if you integrate that in a psytrance/fullon set, but a whole set would be a bit much. it's kinda like the darkpsy i liked when i first got into psytrance:

this one has atmosphere, melodies and well thought out use of fx. all that with no screechy noise overload. i bet most darkpsyheads wouldn't classify it at darkpsy now, but it definitely was darkpsy back then.

what i don't get, is why everyone keeps talking about how much work a darkpsy track was. i don't care if it was a lot of work or if the artist did a lot of "microediting", as long as it sounds good. no amount of work that has been put into that music can make it sound different to my ears than just hitting "random" a few times on a plugin like effectrix that's been put onto an fm lead.

there are numerous examples for great tracks that probably can be done in a few hours.

try this one:

(imagine this one pitched up to a reasonable speed)

it's nothing more than a beat with a simple acidline and some modulation thereof. but it's a acid classic and one of my absolute favourites at that.

btw: that midimiliz track is great. an almost ideal combination of psytrance and techno-aestethic, complete with atmosphere and melodies :)

Padmapani - yes! Penta! I remember that album being 'dark' back then as I was getting more into PSY. and yes, it still is ;D

it doesn't have todays bass overload which tries to confused us now ^_-

^Superb track^

The whole Debut album is amazing.

@ Padmapani

The question that Darkpsy is easy to made is something that only the artists themselves can answer.

Do you really believe that the Derango track I posted can be made in 3 hours? AFAIK there's no magic-button vst that creates fx when you want it and even if there's one you still need to edit, eq and arrange them.

Have you ever heard a Kashyyyk track? Do you really think it can be made in a day?

How about this dark?

I love this and the entire Debut album.

I love darkpsy. Speed is not relevant when it takes me into a deep and complex journey. How about the first track on 'Akashik Memory' by Ghreg on Earth Vs. Electrypnose?:) or Exorcisto by Osom?

P.S. most of the time, when I try to play this to other friends, all they say is that it sounds like a washing machine and it makes me sad ):

Yes many darkpsy sound as forest and many forest as darkpsy. For me they share more similarities than differencies this is why I found strange for someone to like the one, buit not the other.

I've been following both genres since they started growing and I really love "Forest" (or what I can call Forest) and I dislike "Dark Psy". It all comes down to one element: I don't like when the patterns get too mechanical (//Dark Psy) and I love the more organic and deep sounds AND patterns that are composed in a thought out way (//Forest).

Example: Encephalopaticys uses the same typical bass structures and pattern sounds as most Dark Psy artists, but places them in a slower / better to follow pace and makes every sound count. So that feels more natural / Forest to me. Whereas most Dark Psy artists throw it all in your face, hoping that you will freak out at some point.

And yeah, the track above me is my most favorite Forest track... :)

@ Padmapani

The question that Darkpsy is easy to made is something that only the artists themselves can answer.

Do you really believe that the Derango track I posted can be made in 3 hours? AFAIK there's no magic-button vst that creates fx when you want it and even if there's one you still need to edit, eq and arrange them.

Have you ever heard a Kashyyyk track? Do you really think it can be made in a day?

my point was exactly that for making great music it isn't necessary to edit details of some fx for hours. i don't doubt that most of the darkpsy artists spend a lot of time on exactly that and there's also nothing bad about that (i myself spend many months on a single track, which is definitely excessive and probably detrimental to the whole thing), but anyway, i'm just wondering why people are most often discussing darkpsy (i mainly hear that on other forums) like "he must have spent hours tweaking these fx" like it's some kind of dick sizing contest about the amount of time needed for tweaking all those details. with other styles you more often hear things like "whoa, this euphoric melody takes you right to outer space" or "great melancholic atmosphere" or something instead of "man, he must have spent hours microediting those fx".

i'm not trying to diss darkpsy. i do not enjoy it and i hate how it has stolen all the nighttime on the parties, but i think the regulars know that already, so i guess i'm just trying to understand the mindset needed for enjoying it :)

there's no doubt i'm missing that mindset. putting effectrix on a noisy sound and pressing random ten times or so will turn up a pattern that's for me indistinguishable from any darkpsy, but that's just my perception. i'm dead sure, that you'll say "what kind of noisy crap is that" when confronted with the result ;)

ive been listening to darkpsy almost exclusivley (in terms of psytrance) for some years now. i think for a lot of the people who dont like it, they dont realize that like other things, there are different styles. i do not like psycore hardly at all, i also dont like those random glitchy sounds that are prevelant in a lot of darkpsy. fast does not = dark and glitchy does not = psychedelic.

i do it too though...i dont want to hear anything anyone might ever call "full on"...EVER.

give me hard driving rythyms and complex leads and im a happy camper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp0vfQmALNk

my point was exactly that for making great music it isn't necessary to edit details of some fx for hours. i don't doubt that most of the darkpsy artists spend a lot of time on exactly that and there's also nothing bad about that (i myself spend many months on a single track, which is definitely excessive and probably detrimental to the whole thing), but anyway, i'm just wondering why people are most often discussing darkpsy (i mainly hear that on other forums) like "he must have spent hours tweaking these fx" like it's some kind of dick sizing contest about the amount of time needed for tweaking all those details. with other styles you more often hear things like "whoa, this euphoric melody takes you right to outer space" or "great melancholic atmosphere" or something instead of "man, he must have spent hours microediting those fx".

That I agree. After all darkpsy is not a fx contest. The idea is to create effects that will enhance the trip, not just throw them in randomly in the song.

I think though that the really talented darkpsy artists are not like that and spend many hours trying to create the perfect song, not just a bass and add some fx all over it.

i'm just wondering why people are most often discussing darkpsy (i mainly hear that on other forums) like "he must have spent hours tweaking these fx

Think it's coming from the experimental / do-it-your-own background of a lot dark psy artists.

Also have this discussions a lot.. with ppl pointing me to sample cds that contain professional fx and stuff. Ofc they will sound better than my selfmade presets, and a lot better than my self-coded synths, but that's not the point. If I wanna do some fancy mainstream fullon it's the right choice as ppl are expecting a certain type of sound, otherwise it isn't "fullon" for them anymore. If you do dark nobody expects anything - you have all freedom you want.. if I feel like spending 2 months on that psy-fart so that is sound like i want it to be, then I will spend 2 months on it^^ It's less a dick sizing contest, more the kind of an attitude to do it on your own - even if it doesn't sound that good like layered samples from a CD... it just doesn't matter.. it's dark-psy.. do whatever you want, most ppl don't listen to it anyhow as soon as you label it "dark" =)

Xenomorph - Qlippoth [2003]

Parasense - Avangard [2003]

Terminator vs. Dejan - Overdrive [2005]

Ghreg On Earth ‎– Sigilweaver [2005]

Terminator - Spirits Of The Plants [2006]

Regarding the compilations, anything from Deja Vu +:

VA - Evil Voices
VA - Multiple Personalities 2
VA - Twisted Flavors
VA - Sonic Seasoning
VA - Earth Mutations

to make it short guys

could you please rank your top 5 releases of darkpsy below 160 BPM please ? :) i'm getting more interested in this genre recently...thanks

Below 160?

I'll list albums only

Psykovsky-Debut/Da Budet (Tanetsveta is even better but faster)

DarkPsy-Fear

The Nommos-Primal Meltdown

Kindzadza-Waves From Inner Space/Insoluble (Nano Ninja is the best but again faster)

Para Halu-The Future Sound Of Para Halu

Polyphonia-Beyond The Ocean Of Time

Baphomet Engine-Baphomet Engine 2

Psychoz-2012 No Return