So does everyone here dislike Darkpsy?

Ormion

It seems that the vast majority of Psynewers hate it (even though we do have a darkpsy track in our compilation voted by you :P).

Apart from me and Rotwang does anyone else listens to it? I don't mean liking couple of tracks, but actually following it.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like a lot of Forest darkpsy; Ghreg on Earth, Derango, Troglodytes, Hallucinogenic Horses, Encephalopaticys, Atriohm etc.

Feel free to point any more out!

This style of psytrance is extraordinarily complex, and relies less on a prominent bassline than "glitchy darkpsy", which I find very vulnerable to derivative imitations of the few excellent artists: Kindzadza, Psykovsky, etc.

I am a Forest freak almost as much as a goa freak. so no. everyone here doesnt hate dark psy.

I do however hate generic boring FM Lead Dark Psy that is completely unintelligent and not psychedelic in the least.... That kind of "dark" psy is a joke.

Edit: That is some really good stuff olly, most of my favourites there :o Add on Dohm perhaps and a few others.

I like a lot of Forest darkpsy; Ghreg on Earth, Derango, Troglodytes, Hallucinogenic Horses, Encephalopaticys, Atriohm etc.

Feel free to point any more out!

Look here.

This style of psytrance is extraordinarily complex, and relies less on a prominent bassline than "glitchy darkpsy", which I find very vulnerable to derivative imitations of the few excellent artists: Kindzadza, Psykovsky, etc.

Before forest and glitchy stuff there was the kind of darkpsy made by Parasense, 2004-era Kindzadza, The Nommos etc., which seems to be the most hated genre on psynews according to this thread and other comments people have made. I just don't understand why. Those artists took elements from early psytrance that people here like (e.g. Hallucinogen, X-Dream, Hux Flux) and took them to extremes, and the result was some of the most avant-garde and, IMO, psychedelic releases of the Noughties.

Look here.

Before forest and glitchy stuff there was the kind of darkpsy made by Parasense, 2004-era Kindzadza, The Nommos etc., which seems to be the most hated genre on psynews according to this thread and other comments people have made. I just don't understand why. Those artists took elements from early psytrance that people here like (e.g. Hallucinogen, X-Dream, Hux Flux) and took them to extremes, and the result was some of the most avant-garde and, IMO, psychedelic releases of the Noughties.

Thanks a lot, i'll check those out.

I had honestly completely forgotten about that older style, but thinking about it I do actually really appreciate it. I used to listen to artists like Fungus Funk, Terminator, Para Halu and Samadhi a lot when I was younger, I remember it was some very heavy music which i'll have to re-visit.

I do not follow dark psy at all. It's too fast paced and aggressive for me. I've not listened to dark psy on a dancefloor, so may be it will have a different effect on me if I experience it the way it is supposed to. A few tracks mixed in here and there is fine, but I don't know if I'll be able to listen to it all night long. :unsure:

I love dark sounding tracks which have a low tempo.

Music is a journey for me. I try and engulf myself into as many styles as possible, aiming to expand my horizons and explore different worlds. At some point, I discover the magical and am instantly hooked. Then, I become simply fascinated with the new universe I have encountered, turning over every stone and revealing the ideals and passions behind it. I do not limit myself on a particular "genre". In fact, I only label music for vocabulary reasons. A lot of music in the same genre is actually quite different. Sometimes, music is just... music. It is art. It is an encompassing singularity that defines emotion. I laugh. I cry. I think.

Darkpsy is one of my favorite genres. Sure, there is a lot of overdone "add random noise here" factors, but there is also a lot of "lets completely change everything and innovate your reality into something totally unexpected". To give a few serious examples, I would like to bring up the labels Anomalistic Recordings and Jellyfish Frequency Recordings. They have a series of dark, gooey, lets-take-our-listeners-on-a-journey albums ranging from Psycore, Darkpsy, and Forest. After giving over twenty of these albums a few dedicated listens, I can easily come to the conclusion that Darkpsy is a new territory of awesome. My reality vanishes and my body is injected with pure energy. I could easily dance the night away.

Sure, it certainly takes a bit of mind opening to fully enjoy the experience, but once you close your eyes and focus on the incredible textures, unexpected bassline euphoria, and echoing synth leads, you will likely love it. This "dark" world of sound is truly something different... and I am addicted.

I predict the poll will go as:

Love it - 2

Like it - 1

Hate it - 50

Methinks you're missing some inbetween levels there!

I don't 'hate' darkpsy, but there's little of it I like. I've heard some that was OK, I just don't know what.

I just don't get why it is so fast?? That's the part that turns me off - I love "dark" psytrance, but this super fast "darkpsy" music is exhausting..

I feel the same way. I just can't like anything above 160 BPM, it sounds cheesy to my hears and sometimes not listenable.

But i DO like some darkpsy, i guess i'm probably lazy to look around.

I remember liking Derango back then.

Para Halu - The world of peace (2005) is great IMO.

And recently ive been listening to a couple of tracks of the album ACID WALTZ, and it really deserves a review here cause it is AMAZING music!

SO yeah, enjoy some sometimes, but to answer your question i'm not following it at all.

i like it!

just like other stuff more, do follow a bit

prefer south african style the most

can some one post some of these south african style tracks. I've been hearing good things about them.

It seems that the vast majority of Psynewers hate it (even though we do have a darkpsy track in our compilation voted by you :P).

Apart from me and Rotwang does anyone else listens to it? I don't mean liking couple of tracks, but actually following it.

Ahh come on! I hope you were not serious when posting this, I mean you should know it more than you an Rotwang who digs dark psy around here :angry:

What is not to like?! :P

When it comes to psy-core then I only like a few artists (Kindzadza, Psykovsky ect.) but generally I get tired of listing to it quite fast.

Dark Psy is the psy genre that I like the least tracks/artists of. But the ones I do like, I really really like... :)

When it starts getting too fast, technical, breaky or just random I'm out. I don't like any High Tech / Psycore (not even Kindzadza and Psykovsky). I only seem to like it when it sounds more organic and atmospheric. I noticed that a lot of the artists that make slower/deeper Dark are now being categorised as "Forest" more, like Derango, Encephalopaticys... Those are the artists I really like :)

Derango / Purosurpo / Hallucinogenic Horses

Traskel

Attoya

Encephalopaticys

Taigan Sun(set)

Atriohm

Technical Hitch

Captain Kirk

(and you're hearing this from a full time oldskool lover :))

I agree, that is kind of weird. I think some part of the answer is that people tend to over-look this. The main focus on darkpsy is on the later period, hence that is what people relate to when they are asked. There are many gems from this period. Zolod definitely was a huge driving force and for me the best producer in this realm.

I like good dark, I just don't listen to it as frequently as I listen to goa. Good dark for me is Kindzadza, Psykovsky, Phobos Azazel, Derango, etc...

If heard at a party I will dance to it too =)

I was into darkpsy especially when Deja Vu vas active, and after the death of Zolod I've lost interest in darkpsy music in general, but sometimes I like to play some older darkpsy releases.

well..as usual...all hate it ..but darkpsy stages are always full lol

Yeah, weird isn't it? I Always think it's because the people who are really into the music and who tend to dig deaper are also the more active members on fora. While the dancefloor is filled with people who "just" like to party and who are into the more direct, hard and bassy stuff. I might be wrong... :)

I deeply appreciate and respect darkspy. The level of creativity is astonishing and the speed is just so trippy and relentless. With that said I couldn't tell one artist apart from the next and I feel almost no emotional connection to it. It's not rhythmic and is hard to dance to so darkpsy is basically just a cerebral and psychedelic attachment for me.