Which way are you doing the reviews ?

darkill

@ all the people writing reviews for Psynews, here are some question, just in order to see how other people are doing.

How are you doing your review ? Here some questions, would be cool if you could answer :).

1) Are you directly starting to write in a new Topic (Or answering to a topic if it already does exist) or are you writing your review on a text editor before (By example with Microsoft office) ?

2) Do you directly write the review after listening to the album once or you rather listening to it several time before writing it ?

3) How are you picking up the release you're going to review ? Do you let the hazard goes ? Do you choose release that had an impact on you (It may be positiv or negativ impact) ? Do you try to focus on release from a certain label ? Do you try to review stuff that were recently released ?

4) Do you write some words about every track of the release or you rather having a block of text about the whole album / compilation ?

5) Do you give a rating with your review ?

For me personnal case :

1) I am directly starting to write in the forum, however I take care of frequently saving the full text on a text editor

2) I rather having listened to the album a lot before reviewing it. I should know every track that stand on the release.

3) A bit of all what I mentionned in the question. I try to cover a lot of release, I don't specially aim for a label or a kind of genre. I try to review old and new release, even if I rather reviewing new release since it's less popular in some case.

4) At start I were writing words about every track. Now I still does this for compilation, however for the album I rather having a block of text about the whole thing.

5) Yes, except for my first one.

1) Are you directly starting to write in a new Topic (Or answering to a topic if it already does exist) or are you writing your review on a text editor before (By example with Microsoft office) ?

I write in Text Editor on my Mac, save it in the cloud, edit it a little bit on my iPhone when at work, then finalize it when I get back home.

2) Do you directly write the review after listening to the album once or you rather listening to it several time before writing it ?

It all depends really. If the album is a long one, then I will listen to it three or four time before writing my final thoughts on it. If it is simple and only a few tracks long, I typically understand the album quicker. Most of the time I listen to the album at least two times.

3) How are you picking up the release you're going to review ? Do you let the hazard goes ? Do you choose release that had an impact on you (It may be positiv or negativ impact) ? Do you try to focus on release from a certain label ? Do you try to review stuff that were recently released ?

I review many different albums that spark my interest There is A LOT of music out there, and I have different areas of focus every year. This year, I am highly engulfed in current neo styles, 2005 and up, and am grabbing everything I can from Ektoplazm, Psymania, and Psynews for interviewing. I also do requests, but requests take me longer than usual.

4) Do you write some words about every track of the release or you rather having a block of text about the whole album / compilation ?

If it is a Various Artists album, then I write about each track to give comments out to each individual artist. Then I wrote about the entire album as a whole. Various Artists albums always take me the longest to review. If it is one or two artists, I talk about the album as a whole and go over my favorite tracks.

5) Do you give a rating with your review ?

Yes, definitely. Readers usually skip right to this.

1) I use notepad on my phone as a draft. That way I can be anywhere and make edits. Sometimes inspiration hits me in the craziest places (like the crapper) and I always have my phone with me.

2.) If the album is really crappy you don't have to listen to it more than once. Talamasca knows what he did. Ep's are easier obviously with fewer tracks.

3.) I try to get to all the goa releases. I do requests. And there are some artists I follow. As you have seen I will pretty much review anything.

4.) I've tackled every track and I've written summaries. Depends on the music and the mood I'm in. And how lazy I am. If you go track by track it takes some time.

5.) All the time, but I don't use numbers.

Mdk

• 3 weeks later...

Reading this thread, made me remember some old reviewer-drama-circlejerk which I was a part off... I spread to both Isratrance and Psyforum.co.uk (obsolete now) and it was massive...

This thread is very entertaining. So is this.

Good times, indeed.

Anyway, sorry for derailing this thread... Reading it, just made me nostalgic about when I was an active reviewer.