Anyone here using an analog sequencer for actual music production?

Namaste!! :D

I was wondering...Do trancers use analog sequencers such as the MAQ16/3, the Dark Times or the MAM SQ16 to actually produce music, not just tinkering?

MAQ16_3_Dark_Edition_front_medium.jpg

This gear sure looks good, but it looks extremely limited compared to a soft sequencer such as Cubase, at least for our musical genre with so many tracks per tune, sounds, instruments and SFX. Please share your opinion ;)

Boom! :D

a Dark TIme would be great to have. I also considered the Midipal.

However, because of the lack of money a knobby midi controller and a vst sequencer will have to do. Before that, I used a selfmade puredata patch and later found out, that it lags on windows :D

Usually when I use such a sequencer, no music is made. It's just so much fun to play with it.

Well, if you count the sequencer on the 303 or x0xbox, on any drum machine like the 909 or the more modern machinedrum, or on many synths like the mopho or the roland sh-101, then I would say there are many people who use hardware sequencers. If you are only talking about dedicated sequencers like the doepfers....... well....., not so many.

Well, comparing an analog sequencer with a DAW does't make much sense. How many analog sequencers needs someone to get to the sequencing power of a DAW, hundreds? The only hardware sequencers that come to mind are the MMT8, the Cirklon and the Elektron sequencers, and they all are digital, what means, they are a dedicated computer.

Analog sequencers are used to produce melodic lines, riffs and rythms. To ensemble a tune it is more practical the used of a DAW, multitrack harddisk recorder or even tape.

How could be Psytrance produced with only analog hardware sequencers??

1 x 909 with it's own sequencer in song mode

2 x 303 with it's own sequencer in song mode

1 x 101 with it's own sequencer

1 x Juno 106 with the arppegiator on

1 x Doepfer analog sequencer triggering a sampler

24 or 32 mixer board + eventide multieffects + more multieffects + more multieffects

All in sync and doing the mix on the fly to a Dat tape. Maybe with a couple of punch ins to fix some mixing errors....

Well.... to myself it doesn't make sense nowadays, I rather print the sequences and do the rest in Logic..........

I agree with you! :)

But, yeah, as you said, if it's just to have fun at home, for a live experiment, the above configuration is nice.

I'd love to have a 909 and a 101...... also the 303 would be nice :wub: ..... very nice!!!!