Does a country/culture affect the music?

Ormion

Procyon I'm glad that you mentioned Japan. Apart from Prana and Jikooha most of the japanese psy acts tend to be more quirky, something that reflects the culture.
Brazilian psy is too energetic either is full on or darkpsy. Mexico as well. Compare the mexican darkpsy to the swedish one. The first is highly energetic while the latter is more mysterious.
You can also see that mediterranean countries have a strong focus in 'big' melodies. There's a connection here.

Culture plays just a big a role. Just compare Sweden and Italy as an example. You'll find tons of melodic acts coming from both countries, but the Swedes tend to base their melodies on minor keys while the italians do the opposite. This is why I often tend to find southern european music super cheesy.

Procyon's opinion on the scene in Brazil doesn't surprise me at all. Most brazilians are of African descent, and thus have no tradition for elaborate melodies. They should be capable of programming some killer drums though...

Exactly Gaga. Making a long thought short, Brazilians (and other warm countries) tend to make melodies with short, but intensive, bursts, that are ultra-sweet. While melodies from the likes I cited above (Escandinavia, Low Countries, Germany, Japan) they tend to have longer, more elaborated melodies that "explode" in a more subtle, but powerful way. This is how Goa/psy, in the golden era, was built. What is modern bad full-on, as we know of, but a sequence of senseless melodies bursts over a powerful kick (you are right here again about Brazilian artists, but unfortunately you can't keep a dancefloor rocking solely on good kicks).

I disagree about the climate influencing the music the way it was described, for I have lived in two countries with completely opposite cultures and climates: Japan and Brazil. And I don't see how cold Japan had such marvellous acts such as Matsuri Productions, the refined melodies of tech-trance, goa and psy, while 300-sunny days Brazil had such bad taste music, Wrecked Machines one of them I mentioned recently. And Brazilian artists seem they can't build a true good melody sequence, they're only mediocre, in the electronic field, let me make it clear. I dare you point a single psy/goa Brazilian song with an awesome melody. IMO, what Radi said is quite the opposite: the colder the country the more instrospect the people, and their music tend to be richer, to express their hidden emotions. And vice-versa.

I think you are all a little bit confused about "being in a festival during summer in a hot country" while "dancing to goa/psy written in cold countries".

agree with that, look what's happened to australia!

we got more sun than all you guys put together, no euphoria here

actually i'm surprised about these "german" style, "israeli style", "french style", etc etc

I'm french, but if i had to produce goa trance some day, i would just produce something that i like among the world wide scene, i would take inspirations from Israel, Japan, UK, whatever...

for example i really like the israeli old sound of California sunshine and I think lots of my productions would sound like that... or like Blue planet corporation, who is french but that would be just a coincidence then.

I am not really into Talamasca, Deedrah, Neuromotor... sound, there is no reason why I would try to sound french like they do :D (no offence to these artists, i enjoy some of them, they just are not my favourites).

Filteria is a good example.

Wether, enviroment, culture, landscape...... Anything that can influence humans will get printed in the music. England is so psychedelic because of culture, SA is so wild because SA is a wild country. Germans are very techy and they already speak a very technical language, so is the music..... every country finds its own inspiration in diferent things.

well, are we thinking it of where the artist was born? or where they make their music? example - Darkpsy born in France but has produced his music in Portugal and he has that Portuguese sound.

Not necessarily where someone was born, but perhaps where they were raised (if they're different places), would have an effect. As well as where one lives at the time they make the music.

It definitely does... Australia's descent into some kind of mish mash progressive/diversified psy culture is a huge reason I'm glad I've escaped overseas for now.

I can't really speak to what cultural or environmental factors have caused the change but its a bit about the younger guys making the music and how they were bought up... Australia's NNSW "chunk" scene is an absolute travesty to psychedelic culture... Hopefully things change by the time I go back! Heh..

what is this chunk scene in NNSW?

IMO NNSW has produced some great psy...thinking mainly of the zenon boys though i guess

what is this chunk scene in NNSW?

IMO NNSW has produced some great psy...thinking mainly of the zenon boys though i guess

what is NNSW?? No Non-sense South West? ;p

Northern New South Wales haha. Close though :)

And I just meant how it was a lot about bass driven stuff over melody driven stuff for a while. Think i was exaggerating a bit though. some good stuff has come out of there. Just seemed like only one type of stuff really got played. You are right about zenon though yep.

I actually thought that too for years... New Sensient album changed my mind though. Extremely psychedelic. And not as minimal perhaps.

Listen to Galaxians. You may still disagree but if it can change my mind can change anyone's heh.

I actually thought that too for years... New Sensient album changed my mind though. Extremely psychedelic. And not as minimal perhaps.

Listen to Galaxians. You may still disagree but if it can change my mind can change anyone's heh.

Will listen, thanks!

Probably one of the factors is musical environment, which consists in typical music for the country where the musician was born. I suppose, a human since early childhood accumulates musical information (from TV, radio, etc) and then produces some kind of synergetical fusion of that data. The mechanism is similar to cognition of native language :)

Yeah I agree. Just looking at all those interviews/biographies where artists say who influenced them, there is a clear trend. When artists have similar influences to each other they often create similar music (obviously with their own unique approach though).

The music they create is often very different from the music that influenced them as well, which just shows how creative the human mind can be (probably our greatest asset). Each new generation gets exposed to new music and then creates their own new music based on those influences.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." sums it up pretty well I think. :)

• 4 weeks later...