Order the psytrance/goa styles from most favourite to least favourite

Ormion

What do you mean by "Psy"?

For most people Psytrance is the universal name for all genres, others use it only for all post 2000 music and others tend to use it for '97 - '00 stuff (when the term was first widely used). I'm just curious :)

by psy i mean psychedelic trance that has more atonality than goa for example some of artha's non goa tracks

I honestly listen to the most ambient/psychill, but I'm not sure it can really be considered "psytrance". It's really a completely different genre, even if a lot of the spirit and themes are the same. That being said:

Suomi (fun, experimental, and doesn't take itself seriously)

Full-On when it's good (95% of it is horribly generic)

Goa

Forest

Prog

Darkpsy (I need some kind of melody/harmony and most darkpsy doesn't have it)

A lot of this is in the eye of the beholder though and how they perceive certain genres. For example I've heard The Lone Deranger described as goa, psytrance, or full-on depending on who you ask.

I honestly listen to the most ambient/psychill, but I'm not sure it can really be considered "psytrance". It's really a completely different genre, even if a lot of the spirit and themes are the same. That being said:

Suomi (fun, experimental, and doesn't take itself seriously)

Full-On when it's good (95% of it is horribly generic)

Goa

Forest

Prog

Darkpsy (I need some kind of melody/harmony and most darkpsy doesn't have it)

A lot of this is in the eye of the beholder though and how they perceive certain genres. For example I've heard The Lone Deranger described as goa, psytrance, or full-on depending on who you ask.

The Lone Deranger is definitly a goa trance album. Full on ? I really don't see how you can think it may be full on, since full onweren't even born when this album was released !

By the way I forget to say that in my mind, the term "Psytrance" doesn't means "Psychedelic Trance". I know that at start it was used to, but now in my mind, "Psytrance" term moved to be a genre, and psychedelic trance is used in order to describe the whole psychedelic electronic music movment. I means this is my opinion of course.

The Lone Deranger is definitly a goa trance album. Full on ? I really don't see how you can think it may be full on, since full onweren't even born when this album was released !

didn't they call anything with more energy "full on" back then in the 90s?

didn't they call anything with more energy "full on" back then in the 90s?

I've never heard anyone use full on to described like this. I wasn't around back then so I'm not sure, but i'd still say no

Difficult to put into order, because I like a lot of sub-genres equally.

Top are: Forest, Goa (old & new), Darkpsy & twilight / nighttime psytrance

Next up: Full-on (Free-spirit records style, not the Israeli style stuff,) Zenonesque, the odd bit of prog as long as it's got elements of psy. (Much of it I find lacks any excitement or real interest.)

Then: Hi-tech. Some is excellent, but a lot of the more recent releases don't have much of a psytrance feel at all.

Lastly: Israeli style full-on. I really hate the commercial sounding stuff, especially if guitars are involved or any industrial elements.

I love some Psy-bient -chill-dub etc, but I'm more selective than I am with dancefloor music.