Do you suffer from any mental illness?

Goa Travellers

47 members have voted

1. 1. Do you suffer from any mental illness?

• No
    • Yes - Depression
    • Yes - Phobia (all type)
    • Yes - Chronic anxiety (all type)
    • Yes - Obsessive compulsive disorder
    • Yes - Schyzophrenia (all type)
    • Yes - Addiction(s)
    • Yes - Chronic hallucinations
    • Yes - Attention deficit disorder / hyperactivity
    • Yes - Cognitive / memory impairment
    • Yes - Autism
    • Yes - Bipolarity
    • Yes - Other(s)

I have mild dyslexia. When im reading i tend to jumble up words. Not while talking or writing though. Its extremely annoying because i know exactly when ive read wrong. It drives me crazy because i like reading and sometimes i have to repeat the sentence just to make sense of it again. And from what ive read there is no known cure for dyslexics . I would hate to live with this condition for the rest of my life.

I have also passed out donating plasma. The lady next to me said "you have really red blood" and that was all it took.

I hear you...I don't do blood tests often, but every time I do, I tell the lady "You've been warned, every time I do a blood test, I faint". And after 30 sec, I begin to pass out. Always :)

I have mild dyslexia. When im reading i tend to jumble up words. Not while talking or writing though. Its extremely annoying because i know exactly when ive read wrong. It drives me crazy because i like reading and sometimes i have to repeat the sentence just to make sense of it again. And from what ive read there is no known cure for dyslexics . I would hate to live with this condition for the rest of my life.

I have had the same problem, since I was a child. The doctors told me this is not dyslexia but Information Processing Disorder. In my case, I also don't watch movies because I don't grasp any information. People usually have to repeat several times for me to grasp the information. Otherwise, it's just a vague mixture of nonsense words. Like listening to or reading an unknown foreign language. To read a page in a magazine, it can take as much as half an hour, because of reading every sentence over and over again till I get the idea. At one point, I get worked up and give up.

"Mental illness means, literally, an illness of the mind, as opposed to an illness of the brain. But can minds be ill? I argue that they cannot. Mental illness is, therefore, a myth. Since illness affects only the body and the ‘mind’ is not a bodily organ, the mind cannot be ill. ‘Mental illness’ is, therefore, an oxymoron."

"Mental illness means, literally, an illness of the mind, as opposed to an illness of the brain. But can minds be ill? I argue that they cannot. Mental illness is, therefore, a myth. Since illness affects only the body [...]

Begging the question much?

I have had the same problem, since I was a child. The doctors told me this is not dyslexia but Information Processing Disorder. In my case, I also don't watch movies because I don't grasp any information. People usually have to repeat several times for me to grasp the information. Otherwise, it's just a vague mixture of nonsense words. Like listening to or reading an unknown foreign language. To read a page in a magazine, it can take as much as half an hour, because of reading every sentence over and over again till I get the idea. At one point, I get worked up and give up.

I was ok as a child, developed this condition only recently. I've noticed that while im reading slightly complicated sentences i have to make a trade off between reading the words in the exact order that they appear and getting the meaning right in the first shot. I could grasp the meaning by skimming through the sentence but since i have developed this condtion i have become a little obsessed with trying to convince myself about getting the order right which reduces the ability to get the meaning as it were.

I wonder if this is standard operating procedure for everyone or typical for dyslexics.

I was ok as a child, developed this condition only recently. I've noticed that while im reading slightly complicated sentences i have to make a trade off between reading the words in the exact order that they appear and getting the meaning right in the first shot. I could grasp the meaning by skimming through the sentence but since i have developed this condtion i have become a little obsessed with trying to convince myself about getting the order right which reduces the ability to get the meaning as it were.

I wonder if this is standard operating procedure for everyone or typical for dyslexics.

This happens to me a lot in these circumstances: 1) when the text is uninteresting to me, but I have to read it anyway. 2) when I already have an idea of what's written. But when the text is of my interest, I can read it full-attention. Also, I read very fast unintentionally, I think this plays a major role in my ''lack of attention disorder" applied to texts. But it also happens during conversations.

• 4 weeks later...

i have panic anxiety disorder which i have got under control thru cognitive therapy

i also have hppd and derealisation / depersonalization which triggered the panic disorder

ive had this constantly and without any decline for 12 years now. but during these years ive learned to cope and to live with it, finally.

Thanks for sharing Mergi... Cool to read...

It is somehow weird, you manage to work "normal" as a human being, but somehow you feel something is always different, weird and wrong... lol... or you think different, or people are unlogic or they react much different as expected (all the time) or they simply make no sense in social behaviour... Aah :) I am happy I was on holidays for 1.5 month, because now we have to go down in this psycho world again, héhé :)

I could +1 pretty much everything master noebis posted.

Doing presentation in front of a crowd isn't too much of a problem mostly because it is a fact driven situation. Of course I'm usually a nervous wreck the few minutes running up to it but these days I simply let it do that and turn it into something constructive instead.

Unfortunatly when it comes to pubcrawling or other festivities I'm a complete nuisance. I can essentially kill a party just by my mere presence, OK it's not that bad. But I shy away from people in general, of course if someone wants to come by my corner in the bar and talk I'm all ears.

Generally I can not relate to people at all, and discussing something is out of the question because I don't have much of any opinions on anything. I like facts though, but discussing facts isn't exactly "fun".

Mergi-"You know, today I recorded a lot of new vinyls. When I'm done recording I sort the recordings after I've edited them and normalized them in folders beginning with a folder for the label, then a folder for my a- and b-side...."

Well you might get the drift...

Going on dates is a fucken nightmare. I feel like I'm on a job interview and everything is going down the crapper because I simply can not understand any of the messages the lady is trying to send me.

But that goes for a lot of human innuendoes. Irony, sarcasm, jokes so on so on. I simply do. not. get. it.

I also 'suffer' from the lack of emotional response. I guess, it's not that much a problem. I know what's right and what's good for people and act accordingly. I see it as a strength to be able to keep a sort of emotional distance on some stressful or problematic situations. I reckon in the end, these problems and stress are made up, these words are there to describe mental states and person's viewpoint or stance on his life. We're there to make subjective decisions in a world that's in reality objective. The world exists and that's ultimately the only fact we can make about it. The rest is up to a person to decide - what do I want to be in relation to the experience I'm having? would be the defining question.

You can choose what you are and what you feel. The human being has enormous potential to decide. It's just that the large number of people are not aware about this and belittle their 1) abilities 2) responsibility.

I don't know, saying you suffer from lack of emotional response and then saying all of us have the oppoturnity to decide our feelings...? I don't think it's that simple at all. Forcing an emotion and feeling one are completely different things..

I view a lot of things that don't concern me objectively and base whatever I feel of that on that, but that won't work when it affects me. I can view a thing that concerns me, personally, objectively, but to choose an emotion based on that is not really a decision.

I don't know, saying you suffer from lack of emotional response and then saying all of us have the oppoturnity to decide our feelings...? I don't think it's that simple at all. Forcing an emotion and feeling one are completely different things..

I view a lot of things that don't concern me objectively and base whatever I feel of that on that, but that won't work when it affects me. I can view a thing that concerns me, personally, objectively, but to choose an emotion based on that is not really a decision.

Heh, I used the word suffer but if you read carefully you see it's not what I mean as I don't see much negative to my condition.

You're right, it's not really that easy to decide a feeling per se. Maybe I didn't put it clearly. It has actually more to do with person's awareness. To be more precise, it has to do with person's acceptance of the conditions where he's in. Yeah I know... sometimes there comes situations where you can't escape a bad feeling. Even Jesus was sad at times. But most of the problems I see people holding, most of them are not real problems at all. These problems are usually superficial and to large extent, caused by ego.

I'm telling a personal story - as soon as I learned to be responsible for myself, I learned not to blame other people or environment for the karma I'm going through. And this karma is simply put, a cause and effect relation. Whatever I'd decide to do, it has an effect on my mind and in a larger picture, personality. You read this text I'm writing and it has an effect on you, guaranteed (whether good or bad I'll leave that aside). Your mind is like a large piece of wax, and your decisions are like fingers touching the wax and molding it.

What do I want to be in relation to the experience I'm having?

This is the ultimate question of life. The more you ask it to yourself, the more you'll begin to understand about your possibilities to be in control of your life. Your feelings are to a large extent related to the viewpoints you decide to take. To choose constantly a good viewpoint on life of course takes wisdom, but what spurs wisdom to grow in our minds is ultimately our own will of mind.

• 3 months later...

As far as I am concerned, I don't have any major problems. I do at times suffer minor cases of sadness but that's as much as I can think of. I guess I do have some social anxiety, but I usually been trying to overcome that lately.

Incoming rant:

I guess the reasons for these problems is because of what happened during middle school. I like this girl (stupid I know, but I was young and had a brain of a small child, I was probably the most naive person in the planet at the time). So I wrote her a letter of how I liked her and how I would like to go out with her (stupid I know, I was really shy at the time since I grew up in a slavic family and didn't talk with americans besides a few folks). What happened next is that I apparently put the letter in the wrong locker and you can guess what happened next. The person who found my letter was not smart and told everyone around him about it. So now I looked like an idiot and she really did not like me. This was the most fearful feeling I had at the time, since I grew up very innocently and was naive and thought everyone was nice and good. So I spent the next 1-2 years sad because people knew what happened, and what was worse was that I had probably half my classes with that girl. So I dreaded classes everyday, and she tried to not acknowledge me. I became twisted to some degree and became abusive toward other girls (very stupid of me, every time I think about it now). I also developed addictions which ruined me and still affects to this day. I became very secluded from others and found an interest in music. I am blessed that other people came into my life during my later middle school years. I was able to open myself to others, and learn to be social again. I regretted that I even acted like an idiot in the past and tried and been trying to change. It was during this time of recovery when I discovered trance and I loved it right away. It was a new sound, something completely unique to me. I started to collect tons of trance music and trance was pretty much all that I listened to. Fast forward to today, I still collect trance albums and other stuff. Music is part of my life now, one of my blessings and havens in life. I have learned a lot during these years and have been able (for the most part) overcome most of my problems from the past. Then I found psy/goa music from John '00' Fleming in the beginning of this year, and throughout this year I've probably collected and listened to about 100 psy/goa albums and possibly even more. My family may not understand why I love music so much, but I would be sad if I lost the ability to hear music. And now I'm going to go to college soon and have no idea what I want to do with my life. I've thought about history, since it is one of my greatest passions ever since I was in elementary school.

I guess this is the end of my rant. Sorry for a wall of text. :)