Shpongled247

blackstarrfinale-auryn.jpg

Album: Auryn

Artist: BlackStarrFinale

Genre: Goa Trance

Price: FREE

http://www.ektoplazm.com/free-music/blackstarrfinale-auryn

Track List:

01 - Nothing (feat. Psibindi On Vocals) (143 BPM)

02 - The Child Hunter (143 BPM)

03 - The Many And The Luck Dragon (143 BPM)

04 - Uyulala (138 BPM)

05 - A New Name (145 BPM)

06 - Graograman (138 BPM)

07 - The Star Cloister (144 BPM)

08 - The Emperors Journey (143 BPM)

09 - Doña Aiuola (145 BPM)

10 - AURYN (138 BPM)

As most of you probably know, Auryn is the debut release by producer BlackStarrFinale on the now well known and increasingly prominent goa label NeoGoa. Being presented for free by the wonderful people over on Ektoplazm may sometimes lead people to believe that perhaps an artist isn't quite capable of a commercial/paid release yet. This album however absolutely proves that wrong, as not only is it an incredible album in itself, it more than holds its own against the big boys of the commercial neo goa world.

Track 1 - Nothing

Beginning the album in comparatively calm fashion, Nothing features tribal like beats as gorgeous vocals by Psibindi flow throughout. Building gradually to a crescendo halfway through its seven and a half minutes we are treated to an introduction of some beautiful background melodies that pave the way for the rest of the journey. A small break three quarters through and a strong bassline picks things up again where Luis flexes his dancefloor muscle. Soon enough streams of 303 like acid race us to the finish line... Epic Opening Track is Epic! 8/10

Track 2 - The Child Hunter

A relaxed intro and reverberating piano notes lead us into a false sense of calm before the second track kicks off with a thumping bassline and almost full on style digital sounding leads. This is where BlackStarrFinale's real talent lies in my mind, the fusion of neo goa and extremely modern full on styles, but more on that later... The Child Hunter continues its barrage with overlayed piano notes and increasing acid drenched melodies until the end. A great track and sign of even greater things to come. 8/10

Track 3 - The Many and The Luck Dragon

Wasting no time, this track is a stomping goa trance monster from the very beginning. Lush strings and thick atmosphere are matched with a chunky beat and some simply gorgeous lead synth sounds. Acid soaked psychedelic sounds spring back and forth in a cacophony of melodic bliss that soon becomes larger than life halfway through the track. A nice break gives us a moment to catch our breath and we are back into it. Those basslines just keep coming and Im sure this stuff would be absolutely killer on a dancefloor! 8/10

Track 4 - Uyulala

Huge and dripping Intros. This guys has got them. Building and building with that again digital psychedelic sounding melody until around 6:25 when some pressure is released. This isn't my favourite track of the album, possibly least favourite as it maybe doesn't have as many wonderful melodies as some others. 7/10

Track 5 - A New Name

Remember those epic Intros I told you about? Well the drop into this track as it begins is fatter than a fat kid with a jetpack. ;)

The Bassline is so chunky you could be forgiven for thinking you were listening to full on. Again though he pulls it off with class as this track just goes and goes and goes and goes...Absolutely stellar acid lines criss cross throughout and again he has those damn squiggly sounds I just cannot get my head around. One of my Tracks of the Year. Love it. 9/10

Track 6 - Graogragam

Reminding me almost of serbian style prog to start with, this track soon morphs into something more familiar and by 6 minutes in you are surrounded with some of the most intricate digital melodies I've heard for a long time. Funky throughout it has a real groove and gait that any dancefloor is going to eat up. Can't wait to experience it myself! 9/10

Track 7 - The Star Cloister

Shit gets real from the start here as The Star Cloister is an epic flight through inner/outer space that takes no prisoners. Speeding through the cosmos to a wonderful conclusion its a real journey from start to finish. I would perhaps have liked a little more variation on melody on this track but hey, thats just getting picky! 8/10

Track 8 - The Emperors Journey

Whoa. Thats the first thing that comes to mind as the beat drops at 55 seconds in. Im still surprised constantly how he can create such atmospheric intros for each track without it becoming samey or seeming redundant. However, this isn't one of my favourite tracks until about 5 minutes in when it picks up pace and arpeggiated streams of thick synth work are bought into the mix. 7/10

Track 9 - Doña Aiuola

I don't know how to say that track name or even have any idea what it means, but that doesn't matter when its this good. One of the chunkier tracks on the album it really kicks off around 4 minutes in for me after building and building. I love the way he structures his build ups and release/listener pay offs in tracks. Theres something really refreshing about it. 8/10

Track 10 - Auryn

Here we are, the final track, and wow that went quick which is always a good sign. Auryn is a pounding, thumping sci fi epic of a track that has to be experienced. The culmination of this epic journey of an album doesn't disapoint and just continues to astound with its tight bassline, deft hat work and then soon enough of course the return of those screaming 303 lines as we blast off into hyperspace. 8/10

Conclusion

Wow. I have listened to this album non stop since release, and each and every time I am left astounded. I have just not found anything like it before..

Like a breath of fresh air sweeping into the neo goa scene, what BlackStarrFinale has done here is just astounding to my ears.You can feel his passion has poured into it. Even though it may at times sound digital, probably because it is mostly, it has a soul that many other albums are lacking entirely.

I didn't expect to like this album as much as I did..

I had no idea going in that he had produced such a thick and smooth sounding album, one that blends perfectly and succinctly the styles of neo goa and the chunky driving pulse of "full on". This is destined to turn some heads on dancefloors around the world and perhaps place him along side the big commercial artists of this scene where I would say he belongs.

This is my album of the year so far, out of neo goa, or psychedelic music in general. Well done Luis and Neogoa.

Overall Album Rating: 9/10

Thank you very much for this first review here on Psynews, i'm really glad you like the album. My personal favorites from AURYN are Nothing, The Many and The Luck Dragon, A New Name, The Star Cloister and AURYN. Overall i think Luis with AURYN prooved himself as one of the most interesting artists in newborn goa trance genre, with unique approach to Goa trance music and sound. That makes him perfect for Neogoa, because we're pushing hard to deliver interesting, diverse and quality music for free, to psychedelic goa trance and ambient lovers and fans.

Also shouts to Paul for helping out with snakes and to Igor (Deimos) for wonderful job regarding the mastering and sounding of AURYN.

It looks like Luis has a penchant for child-fantasy films like Neverending Story and The Princess Bride :) Incidentally, Lost Buddha's Southern Oracle track also uses a great Neverending Story sample. Fortunately Luis didn't put too many in this album, would be easy to overdo it.

I first discovered his funky, groovy style through Classic Attack on Dimensional Gateway 2 and it was defenitely the most momentous track there.

You guys are right to single out the uniqueness and the excellent intros of this music. Its definitely dancefloor music, I need to play it through a big system to get the full value out of those basslines. You can tell that he puts care into every element of the sound. Great album.

I'm always a bit self conscious when it comes to the whole "me make music" thing so I'm a bit lost for words, but it really is good when other people enjoy that which I've spent so much time working on. Thank you everyone for all the positive stuff you've said about AURYN, I'm really very pleased it makes other people happy.

You can feel his passion has poured into it. Even though it may at times sound digital, probably because it is mostly, it has a soul that many other albums are lacking entirely.

Thank you Shpongled for a lovely review. I have indeed put a huge amount of myself on AURYN, doing exactly what I wanted throughout. I'm really pleased this has transpired somehow. I do have a liking for the more digital sounding synths, especially in contrast to more analog sounding instruments.

Also shouts to Paul for helping out with snakes and to Igor (Deimos) for wonderful job regarding the mastering and sounding of AURYN.

Both of them are gold. The snakes were exactly what I had in mind, and couldn't be happier with Igor's respectful mastering work. None of that would've come together without you at the centre of it all pulling the strings and crystalising the artwork into something beautiful. Thank you Iván.

It looks like Luis has a penchant for child-fantasy films like Neverending Story and The Princess Bride :)

Haha yes I do! The Neverending Story is such a wonderful book which has changed for the better my approach to life. If you ever stumble upon a good copy, printed in red and green, treat yourself to it for an evening, read it in one go. Thank you for the kind words :)

Excellent album. Nice job.

9/10

Thank you Mr Freeze :)

nG5Yeay.jpg

Artist: BlackStarrFinale

Title: AURYN

Label: Neogoa

Date: June, 2013

01 - Nothing (feat. Psibindi On Vocals) (143 BPM)
02 - The Child Hunter (143 BPM)
03 - The Many And The Luck Dragon (143 BPM)
04 - Uyulala (138 BPM)
05 - A New Name (145 BPM)
06 - Graograman (138 BPM)
07 - The Star Cloister (144 BPM)
08 - The Emperor’s Journey (143 BPM)
09 - Doña Aiuola (145 BPM)
10 - AURYN (138 BPM)
Luis Pabon has been a key cog in the neo goa apparatus since the beginning and has finally released his debut album for free. I was so excited to hear it because most of his tracks go above and beyond. Besides, he's a friend. Well, an acquaintance really.

Fine, we're just Facebook friends. Is that what you wanted to hear? I think he likes me, but everytime I see him his sticking his tongue out.
So with great anticipation and excitement I listened to his new album.
This is where I would've put something like a sad panda or some girl crying. But since photobucket has been a pain in my ass lately, I'm this close to no longer using pics or gifs in my reviews. But anyway...sad panda.
I didn't like it.
This was the part of my "job" as a reviewer that I didn't like. He has worked so hard for so long, how do I write a negative review for an artist that label head and good friend Ivan Richpa was so proud of? When an album is terrible it's easy to go negative. But that wasn't this situation. So I decided to call Ivan and discuss it with him.
But he never answered. Should've known. Calling Croatia I probably would've had better luck using two dixie cups and some string. I needed to get away from it for a bit and just not listen to anything for awhile. Go hiking, that always helps me refocus and get a fresh perspective. That worked and with it staring at me I decided to re-engage.
And boy am I glad I did.
This album is different. Way different. It doesn't have the instant appeal of some where you instantly recognize how good it is. At least for me. Put on the M-Run disc and you know it's awesome as the involuntary butt shaking commences. Pick a Suntrip release and you know you'll be smiling.
Come to find out this was his intent.
Starting at the beginning this was based on the kids novel the Never Ending Story. Never read it and the only thing I remember from the movie was this huge creepy dog muppet that could fly. So I did a little research and found out that Auryn is the name of a Spanish boy band.
*looks quizically at monitor*
O...kay? My subconscious was telling me to dig a little deeper. Turns out the AURYN (always capitalized) is a magic talisman that gives so and so their power. That would be the two snakes having a tail sandwich on the cover. Then I wondered how the f*ck I ever learned anything before the internet.
So it's not the groove that will get you. It's not all of the layers of spiraling melodies attempting to transport you to Nirvana either. So what the hell is it?
The depth.
Is it goa? Is it psytrance? It's both with a storytelling mission. I don't know what that story is that's up to you the listener. Long unwinding melodies will suck you in and before you know it you're three tracks past where you thought you were. It can be trancey and it can then become aggressive as it seems to have an infinite number of twists. It's pretty obvious he went the extra mile to make something different and he succeeded in that respect. All the gifs in the world wouldn't help if I tried to describe each track so I'm not gonna do that. Suffice it to say he poured his heart and sould into making something incredibly complex and original.
Sounds like it worked. You gotta check this out.
Mdk

Trance2MoveU nice review. I think some people may feel the way you did at first. Perhaps not sure if its goa or psytrance if they are hardcore purists of either... Still though if they give it a chance it is just its own journey.

Also I think this stuff is what dancefloors who don't know what to do to goa need. It will be great.

Track 5 for my money is where it really takes off. Still listening, and will be for a long time. :D

Thank you Michael for a great, sincere and felt review! Glad you came around at the end too :) wasn't really trying to be different, but I certainly didn't try to blend in too much with the signature sound of any genre either.

To be fair I knew about the boy band already, but had the idea of AURYN in my mind since I was a teenager, well before they were born.

The first two things that grabbed my attention was the artist's name and track titles.

On first listen, it was a hit-and-miss for me. Being a big fan of melodies (synth leads), I quickly warmed up to The Child Hunter. After that I felt mixed until A New Game arrived that lifts the album towards some of its best tracks. I don't think the opening song is the that friendly for the general listener, but the building-up approach to something tastier, more desirable I like. The Many and The Luck Dragon is memorable too with a beat that changes up; its melody/sound work I find less infectious than The Child Hunter.

I love some of the ideas and execution in the album. The artist's experimental approach produces some innovative work! At times however, I find that the PSY-approach and harder kick when combined with the GOA influence, is a bit much (at times, not always, and this is arguably) when trying to enjoy the more magical, harmonious aspects. For example, the melodies in The Child Hunter I think are great, but the psytrance influence is so prominent that these euphoric elements appear less emphasized at times because the PSY elements are in the forefront just as much. I'm a huge fan of Goatrance, so I love soaking up those euphoric moments that are partied here in Psytrance atmosphere. Also, the kick drum I wish was just a little less in tracks like Uyulala. I raise the volume to hear the melodies more, but the kick becomes so much that I end up lowering it. Also in Uyulala, there's a beautiful melodic segment that comes (in the middle) and also the final two minutes. I would have enjoyed more of this influence and less pounding psytrance that overpowers much of the song. I just really like the harmonious melody/sound work on this album; for me a track like Uyulala becomes so much catchier [from 5:07 to 5:32] when they arrive. Nothing I find lacking in memorable sound/melody synth work and not very memorable.

That said, some will love this Psy-meets-Goa child. It's different. It's unique. I love some of the tracks or parts of them; an example of the latter being Graograman from 3:57 to 6:01. I love that section, but the following part (before the last minute more or less) sounds less evocative, more generic psytrance to me. That said, the part between is simply giving us a breather before the next emotive-influenced section. So it works. The artist is aware and carefully structures, develops the tracks. There's great work on this album, even if some of the strongest Goa influence is often immersed in a thumping beat around psychedelic textures, soundscapes, and less euphoric synth work. It worked with Jikkenteki's work after all. Although I find this album less accessible (at least right away) than Goatree's The Force, it's an interesting release with a good amount of imaginative work, and I adore the attention to details and moments of magic, harmony, beauty, and wonder, like a fantasy movie! I recommend giving this album a couple listens before critiquing this unless you're that enthusiastic to share.

Favorites: 2, 3, 5, 7, 10.

B+

this is an intersting album. at the first listen i was like "wtf? is this even goa rather than psytrance?" and put it away for a while. but i gave it a second chance, and after revisiting the album today, i got a wholly different view of it.

it's creative, doesn't follow any conventions, the tracks are unique and definitely tell a story. to keep this short, i give this a solid 4/5 throughout.

isn't this exactly the kind of goa that's supposedly missing in the whole newschool department according to some discussions we've had here? there isn't any kind of "fitting as many layers as possible" or "fluffy astral projection sound" in here. the next time this argument comes up, i'll point those claiming the above here.

• 3 weeks later...

The album is GREAT, definately my cup of tea. Never boring, never cheesy and nevertheless melodic.

his music is not following the newschool formula.

Oh yes, the formula - could You explain it a little bit? Do You mean Pleiadian-ish or Astral-ish flavour in maaaaany newschool tunes?

Offtopic: Ormion, I really enjoy Your 'Introduction to Psytrance' videos, helped me to clear some grey areas, although sometimes I can't grasp the differencies between subgenres even I have contact with ths music since '97 (like dark goa vs oldschool psytrance - for me it's the same, just turning the knob 2 degrees to the left for a few seconds more ^_^ ).

Oh yes, the formula - could You explain it a little bit? Do You mean Pleiadian-ish or Astral-ish flavour in maaaaany newschool tunes?

Offtopic: Ormion, I really enjoy Your 'Introduction to Psytrance' videos, helped me to clear some grey areas, although sometimes I can't grasp the differencies between subgenres even I have contact with ths music since '97 (like dark goa vs oldschool psytrance - for me it's the same, just turning the knob 2 degrees to the left for a few seconds more ^_^ ).

As new school formula I mean too many pads, many melodies that don't stand out and lack of raw power. BSF has a unique style that I love.

Thanks for the nice words about my videos. You don't need to see many differencies. Maybe it's better to not care about subgenres. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you again guys for the lovely words, but also for such sincere criticism, they're both appreciated and very helpful. It's now time for me to think past AURYN, and will be toying with new ideas over the next few months before I settle on a new theme for a second album.

will be toying with new ideas over the next few months before I settle on a new theme for a second album.

Take Your time & You're welcome:

http://www.imdb.com/search/title?genres=fantasy&title_type=feature&num_votes=1000,&sort=user_rating,desc

http://www.imdb.com/search/title?genres=sci_fi&title_type=feature&num_votes=1000,&sort=user_rating,desc

;)

• 4 months later...

Hey Ivan. I'm glad to see that AURYN won, I think it's excellent. I would have liked to vote too, is there a mailing list I can join so I don't miss future opportunities to be involved?