Much Ado About Nothing (Joss Whedon)

Veracohr

I was wandering around today doing nothing in particular and happened to walk past a theater playing this movie. I think I had seen a brief trailer at some point. Being a big Joss Whedon fan, I immediately bought a ticket.

Honestly this movie made me feel stupid. I had a very hard time following the Shakespearean language, and people kept laughing at things that I either didn't think were funny, or I just didn't understand the line that set off the laughter. I walked out after an hour (though I had to use the bathroom anyway). I don't think I'm particularly dumb or uncultured, but I just felt stupid not being able to understand it, and then I actually felt ashamed as I walked out, as though I were some kind of lowlife mouthbreather for not finding it funny or even comprehensible.

I don't have a lot of experience with Shakespearean stuff, but I didn't have a problem with the language in the Romeo & Julet movie, nor with the play of A Midsummer Night's Dream that I saw. I think I could probably recommend this movie to people that can follow the language. Like I said, I like Joss Whedon, and the cast was a Joss Whedon All-Stars cast, and it seemed like it was probably good if you could follow the dialogue.