How we listen to Trance

GagaISM

I've noticed that most Trance listeners don't care much about the technology behind the music. There is a tendency to listen to and judge the music solely on melody and feel. Nothing wrong with that, but quite interesting as gear feticism is rampant in most other electronic genres. How many of you people know what a Roland TR-909 or JP-8080 is and do you even care?

I know about the Roland TB-303, used for acid basslines or acid melody.

At start, it was done for guitarist, but it finaly wasn't very good for that, and finally it gave huge help to the electronical music.

Lot of acid goa melody have been done this way.

Don't know much about the TR-909 and JP-8080...

I've noticed that most Trance listeners don't care much about the technology behind the music. There is a tendency to listen to and judge the music solely on melody and feel. Nothing wrong with that, but quite interesting as gear feticism is rampant in most other electronic genres. How many of you people know what a Roland TR-909 or JP-8080 is and do you even care?

I know those synths but I don't hear them often even in oldschool goa trance. The tb 303 is not used a lot in Trance, but a few did use that synth in goa trance and it sounds good. Also the JP, Boris Blenn uses it a lot, it is a beautiful string generator and also great for leads, I wish many more artists had used it or would use it now. It is the ultimative synth but not used a lot.

Leaves me without words.

I had the feeling that a lot of people didn't hence the thread. You often see the analog vs digital discussions, but the actual programming possibilities (and limits) played just as big a role in creating the classic Goa sound. There's thus a compositional aspect to analog equipment as well which I find very interesting. It never ceases amaze me how an act like Koxbox managed to do completely new things with much of the same equipment used by their peers.

The Roland TR-909 was the first drum machine to introduce the punchy kick most Techno music is known for. It's been used by everyone from Jeff Mills to Astral Projection.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_TR-909

Okay, thanx for the information ;)

I thought everyone knew what a 909 was.

In my personnal case, I've heard multiple time about the TB 303...but never about the TR-909 except in this thread

I think most people who dabble in production will know. I know what they are and where they fit in the birthing of the scene.

To the real question though, and more interestingly i think.. Once you do know somewhat how things are made, do u listen and analyse the music differently?

I find I sometimes do, but to be honest I'm only learning production so still have no idea how some of my favourite sounds are made. As I do learn that though I then become fascinated by the arrangements more and more...

Sometimes however I just turn off that analytical part and enjoy the music.. I'm glad I can still do that :)

Tbh I think it's better to not having any idea about the technology and even better about music production in general. IMO if you're too much in the technology side every time you listen to a specific hardware/vst you can be like 'Oh this is 303', 'I'm sure that's Albino','Sylenth! Unmistakable'.

The same with writing music. Ever since I started to produce my own tracks I've realized that I'm unintentionally trying to 'decipher' the tracks instead of fully enjoy them.

I'd rather much rather know what's going on than enjoy something which is actually generic shit. I can't stand the idea of "lost innocence". It's such a christian concept. A 909 will always be a 909, but only one in a million can play it like Mills.

I think there is a good bit of truth in that...

However by the same token you don't have to be Alex grey or Picasso to appreciate a painting.. So I have no idea what is ideal...

Perhaps a little of both naivety and understanding of the underlying mechanisms?

The more I've learnt about production the more I've learnt how to recognize talent. That extra little thing that separates the greats from the not so greats. It might have changed my perception of a few artist in a negative way, but I've come to appreciate others so much more.

Tbh I think it's better to not having any idea about the technology and even better about music production in general. IMO if you're too much in the technology side every time you listen to a specific hardware/vst you can be like 'Oh this is 303', 'I'm sure that's Albino','Sylenth! Unmistakable'.

The same with writing music. Ever since I started to produce my own tracks I've realized that I'm unintentionally trying to 'decipher' the tracks instead of fully enjoy them.

being a 303 head i get this with every acidline. "wait, this is no real 303, but is it phoscyon or abl2? hmm.. so the resonance is almost like the real thing, but the low-mids are a bit musty and digital sounding, so it must be abl2" ;)

It's hard to emulate an analog instrument in the first place, but the 303 is probably one of the hardest. I've never heard anything but a 303 sounding like a 303. Not even the hardware clones like xoxbox and Acidlab.

yeah, although they say that it's essentially the same thing, the x0xb0x does have a distinct sound, somehow "woodier" for lack of a better expression, and the envelopes aren't 100% right all the time. there's nothing like the real thing. still for goa, due to the usually crowded arrangement, you can most often get by with an emulator.

Now that we're talking about the 303, does anyone know who was the first to use it in Goa/Psy Trance?

that's a strange question considering that it was used widely in trance before goa trance split off from it. so the question is: when does goa trance start. the earliest goa trance release i have in my library is the dragonfly compil project ii - trance and the 303 is already featured prominently on there.