Forest Psy

Shpongled247

What are some of your favourite forest releases? No purely dark stuff or psycore please just legit forest like the masters Derango/Puro Surpo/Hallucinogenic Horses :)

Some of mine are

Derango - Tumult obviously

Attoya - Wooden Beats

Kiriyama - Reach Escape Velocity

Procs - All albums :)

Atriohm - Ukalen etc

Encephalopaticys - All

I don't think so, sounds more like progressive that is somewhat more interesting than the average progressive.

Here's a previous thread on forest psy.

Forest is something I've never really understood. Of the various samples I've heard, I can only catch the barest glimpse of a 'sound'. I guess I just think of it as part of the darkpsy genre, and I'm not sure it really needs its own name.

Would love if anyone has some newer stuff

I've just remembered a couple more good ones:

Khooman - The Depths

VA - Boom Shiva Freaks

Forest is something I've never really understood. Of the various samples I've heard, I can only catch the barest glimpse of a 'sound'. I guess I just think of it as part of the darkpsy genre, and I'm not sure it really needs its own name.

I had the same problem at first - when Tumult came out and people were calling it forest it just sounded like other darkpsy to me. Now I've heard more forest I can hear the difference, but I have no idea how to describe it. And they certainly aren't that different (e.g. the second release I posted above is arguably just darkpsy rather than forest), so I think of forest as a subgenre of darkpsy in the same way that psycore is.

A couple of recent (2012) good forest (mainly) compilations not mentioned before

Brainzcrew Vol 2

Parvatrip 3

Antediluvian Audio

Rainbow Circle

I don't think so, sounds more like progressive that is somewhat more interesting than the average progressive.

Here's a previous thread on forest psy.

I suggest not relying on samples when trying to understand music since it usually takes more to absorb the "sound"... and as Rotwang says it is not obvious in the beginning since the tight relation to dark psy in general, which is I agree it has. The main difference as I hear it is the that the sounds/samples used in forest trance are usually more wet, grainy and "organic", and the use of weird quirky melodies and themes is often heard. Also the bass layer is usually different, not the same tendency to use the same "one note" bass all the way through a track.

maybe not a typical example but a more explicit one

Forest is probably my favourite type of trance, but I prefer the Parvati Records / Phreex Network kind of sound to Ka-Sol, Attoya, Hallucinogenic Horses etc.

I love the more hypnotic, deep, bassline grooves, stuff like this:

http://youtu.be/lYLq0FKjQRM

http://youtu.be/FnZm0SIO4VA

Some fave albums (other than pretty much everything on Parvati!) are:

1355937200_va-shakti-tandav-2012.jpgpnx1cd006_b.jpg

rvm1cd002_b.jpgmqr1cd008_b.jpg

ban1cd001_b.jpgdkp1cd001_b.jpg

• 1 month later...

Shaman's Foretaste from 2004. was in my case always a definition of true forest sound. Still not sure does this progressive type of music can be classified as real forest-trance. Let me know...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot17IE2MZ_o&feature=share&list=PLA9EFBCEDC358D338

I think this follows the definition of tech-trance.

For example, I was sure that this track is "a slow darkpsy", but then I found out it's more like Tech-Trance, tell me what you think..:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJP3ap1cNDo&list=PL96evuOzlW021mN7YlGLHA_k6RypuEcMc&index=1

Yeah I love forest, it's so complex and rich, without relying on a bassline for impact. It can be melodic or simply textural; I think it's one of the subgenres with more integrity these days.

But the big question is: Will Derango ever release a sequel to Tumult?

I suggest not relying on samples when trying to understand music since it usually takes more to absorb the "sound"... and as Rotwang says it is not obvious in the beginning since the tight relation to dark psy in general, which is I agree it has. The main difference as I hear it is the that the sounds/samples used in forest trance are usually more wet, grainy and "organic", and the use of weird quirky melodies and themes is often heard. Also the bass layer is usually different, not the same tendency to use the same "one note" bass all the way through a track.

Exactly!! :)

Since Derango - Tumult and some other obvious Forest releases (that had the name "Forest" in it, or had a very distinctive sound and Foresty cover) I've began to experience it as a genre by itself. It's not just a subgenre of Dark Psy for me, but a different stream in the Psy scene.

I don't have much favorite cd's, but more favorite artists. Most of the VA's only have 2 - 3 tracks I really like.

Derango / Purosurpo / Hallucinogenic Horses

Attoya

Traskel

Captain Kirk

Taigan Sun(set)

and of course the golden oldies: Ka Sol and BOTFB!

Yeah I love forest, it's so complex and rich, without relying on a bassline for impact. It can be melodic or simply textural; I think it's one of the subgenres with more integrity these days.

But the big question is: Will Derango ever release a sequel to Tumult?

Mmmm i can only dream but for some reason i don't think they will... they have released a lot of stuff since then though including good downtempo stuff... Just not sure they will release a full album... Pretty hard album to follow i think! (No one has since! heh)

Ionized submitted a fucking awesome picture

va-under-the-moss-vol-2-300x300.jpg

I agree!! I play this album ALLL the time out in the woods during my DJ nerd outs. Man, the sampling that says "What a nice dungeon floor you have... tell all your minions to bounce up and down" is AWWESSOMMMMMEEEE. What a wonderful album.

• 9 months later...

Other than the Techtrance, Goa & early psy sound i really enjoy the forest sound but not so much the dark psy sound. i generally follow a few labels:

Audio Ashram (Kaosmos & Kaosmos 2)

Bijah

Forest Freaks

Mighty Quinn

Moon Koradji

Mushroom Hunters

Rockdenashi

Vantara Vichitara

Yggdrasil

And this year I plan to check out:

Treetrolla

Medulla Oblongata

Chronicle Of Mystery

Getting back in to these genres over the last 6 months makes me really regret selling my DJ gear in 2012. Really need to save up for some again, somehow mixing this style is so much more fun than just listening!!