goatree-the-force.jpg

Information :

Artist : GoaTree

Title : The Force

Label : NeoGoa

Date : 29 May 2013

Genre : Goa trance

Tracklist :

1. Ray Subject - Nanoverse (GoaTree Remix)

2. Mementos Mortis

3. The Force

4. Sleeper

5. The Prayer

Review :

I recently heard about NeoGoa, a new label releasing newschool goa stuff. This is the project named "Morphic Resonance" who catched my intention and this is why I've been looking for other things made by this label. I've to say that Im not disappointed !

So NeoGoa come here with a little album (or a big EP, it's how you want) called "The Force", with 4 track from GoaTree, which I've never heard about, and one remix from the same person. Alright, let's check it !

Ray Subject - Nanoverse (GoaTree Remix) :

This album start with a remix of Nanoverse, originaly from Ray Subject. At start it sound quite spacey and strange, but fast come some great melodies. It sound very nice, like an oldschool goa trance track released with newschool equipment. Later come strong acid lines, who slowly but surely get developed. Then you got a break with some background sounds which give this track a nice atmosphere, and then, BOOM, you got this kick in the face, accompanied with awesome melody, at 4:40 ! This whole track is excellent, with nice melodies and pretty good acid lines ! This is what gave me the desire to listen to the whole album.

Mementos Mortis :

After such a good first track, you always need something very good to continue the great serie. And GoaTree made it, oh boys. The track start with a strange sound but very fast come a very strong and heavy kick, just as I love it, giving this track a terrible rhythmic. Acid lines and background melodies follow, making of this track a nice song, combining a powerful kick with beautiful melodies. The bassline is very nice too : simple but effective. I particularly appreciate the sound coming at 4:49, it fits very well with the track ! To resume, that's a very good track.

The Force :

Another nice song, using a lot of melodies with a nice kick & snare to give this track some good vibes. The acid lines playing at beginning of the song are just awesome, oldschool forever ! This track contains a lot of beautiful melodies, which have always something changing second after second, making it great ! Nothing else to say, a good track, but not as good as the previous one.

Sleeper :

A sample, some background sounds, a rise, and here you are thrown in another song. This is the track with the highest BPM of the whole album, melodies are going faster and you quickly feel it. Here again, the tunes are pretty good, giving this track an oldschool aspect, with those kind of acid lines and uplifting melodies. It still has a good kick, with nice rythmic, using hat and snare. At 5:19 the track take another dimension : there's a flute melody with some voice samples at end of this one. I've say that I didnt except that, but it does fit very well with the rest of the song. Pretty good track here too !

The Prayer :

What a track ! It starts with a huge powerful kick, I've rarely heard such loud one ! It's clear that at the beginning, this track as a more dark atmosphere than the other one of this album, because the background tunes are less melodic. But then come some nice synths notes. After this, a break, and then, at 4:10, GoaTree got all the elements he needs to make you dream ; he throws this great rythmic with the loud kick, and he serve it with an awesome melody, like you may hear in oldschool goa trance or in nitzhogoa tracks. Without forgetting the dark atmosphere of the beginning, it make a great combination. Is it already finished ? No, then come some beautiful voice samples, sounding somehow religious but who perfectly fits with the song, and giving this track a deeper atmosphere. And of course, on 6:52, we got back some famous acid lines, nicely filling the track. The song slowly ends with the voice samples. This is far away the best track of the album. Not a very good track : a legendary track, who surely deserve it's place in most of newschool goa trance compilations !

Overall :

What an incredible surprise I got while listening to this album ! This if for me one of the best newschool goa trance album I've ever heard. It contains some very nice tracks, with a lot of wonderful melodies and pretty nice acid lines. There's also some amazing heavy kicks, giving those tracks nice rhythmic. The tunes made me think a lot about those nitzhogoa melodies. By the way, the last track is exceptionnaly good, it became a classical goa song to my ears !

Some word on the cover : A very nice cover, directly linked to the artist's name "GoaTree". A nice job from our forum mate Richpa !

Last thing : this album is free, avalaible on Ektoplazm ! Enough said for me !

Best track : 5

Worst track : 3 (Still a good one of course !)

Rating : 9/10

To download it :

Free @ Ektoplazm.com

Thank you very much for your review and i'm glad you enjoyed in this release. However, over at Ektoplazm you can get complete Neogoa catalogue for free with over 17 hours of goa trance and psychedelic ambient music released for non-comercial usage. I'll forward your review to mr. GoaTree, i'm sure he will be happy to read very positive review for his first release.

Thanks again!

Oh cool! I was JUST about to review this lol. I have probably listened to it 7 times in my car. I agree totally with your review and also give it a 9/10. It seems some songs are a little bit "static", as in they could be developed to farther distances.It is certainly clean, well mastered, and easily danceable, but I simply crave more.

Thanks for joining the Psynews team with me man! I am totally new here as well, so looks like we will be learning together. Are you reviewing releases from Ektoplazm only? (or most). We should talk and be a review team :)

Thank you very much for your review and i'm glad you enjoyed in this release. However, over at Ektoplazm you can get complete Neogoa catalogue for free with over 17 hours of goa trance and psychedelic ambient music released for non-comercial usage. I'll forward your review to mr. GoaTree, i'm sure he will be happy to read very positive review for his first release.

Thanks again!

Well I actually picked up this release by chance, I could have chosen any other one from Neogoa. But for sure Im gonna check some more stuff from this label !

Nice review man, keen to read more of your stuff :)

Thank you for your appreciation, it's very rewarding when you are using some time to write a review and when people like it.

Thanks for joining the Psynews team with me man! I am totally new here as well, so looks like we will be learning together. Are you reviewing releases from Ektoplazm only? (or most). We should talk and be a review team :)

I have seen you've been recently registered to this forum, as me. And I saw some of your reviews, I enjoy seeing that there's some people who are still making reviews !

No, Im not only reviewing releases from Ektoplazm, I do all kind of review. Until now I wrote 4 review :

1. V/A - Goa Trance Revolution (2013)
  2. Atma - The Secret of Meditation (2009)
  3. Phobia - Adaptation (2008)
  4. GoaTree - The Force (2013)

As you may see, I do review new as old release. I do not only review one kind of genre.

Ektoplazm is great for writing review of new releases, since it's free so you can instantly have a listen to it without have to wait for receiving album.

About the idea of being a review team : Yea, why not my friend ! We could say which release we're going to write soon and maybe we could even make some reviews together ! I don't know if it has already been done, but it could be a nice experience !

This release almost slipped under my radar for some reason, I think I confused it with something else with a similar name. A really quality album that I hope others haven't missed out on. Neogoa is killing it as a label at the moment!!

This artist combines old and new-school goa well. The beat and bassline stand out (but not too much) over many old-school releases too.

1. Ray Subject - Nanoverse (GoaTree Remix) begins a little like a distorted, partial version of Requiem For A Dream's theme song. It's fairly moody. This element reprises several times and is catchy; the ambient compliments. The synth work is good, adding intensity to the gentle aspects. The interlude has feeling; it's evocative, adds variety. The last act is good too; the artist incorporates that "extra" synth layer to keep the final act fresh. Very good track! B+

2. Mementos Mortis has some unique melodies, though not that memorable to me. Some layers add variety, though repetition sets in at times (for me). After an OKAY beginning, the tune at around 2:35 is fairly catchy, but the middle act, while far from bad, I find hardly worth mentioning (beat emphasis at 5:42 forward is nice). The sound/synth work in the last forth (around 6:38 to 8:51) stand out more. Overall I'm not impressed and between a C+/B- with this track. The song lacks the evocative "edge" (generally means advantage) of the opening as well as something more unique to take its place. Decent song. C+

3. The Force is intriguing. I'm hooked by the entrance. The song is dark, edgy, has character, and keeps me involved throughout. Strong sound/melody (synth) work are enhanced by catchy voice samples and warm and resent atmosphere! This song has edge relative to intensity and dark elements (at least moody elements that feel determined, driving, and night-esque). We don't get enough goatrance like this anymore! This is one of my favorite songs of the year. Great track! A-

4. Sleeper stands out too. Lots of catchy sound/melody working combinations and rhythms. The segments without the beat are interesting. Some wild, exciting synth work adds energy. I like an artist that takes risks. This is another great track that's arguably better than the last one (though I like The Force more :)). Few will argue that this is more spontaneous; it showcases solid variety, and moves through different, memorable locations that correlate with its whole nicely. A-

5. The Prayer takes a while to get going. The first 2:45 minutes are fairly uneventful and repetitive, more or less. The song picks up after that, and showcases a beautiful, uplifting synth melody at 4:10 that's my favorite part of the song! The female vocals are nice too. But the middle interlude drags. Also catchy are the echoed synth sounds and and an acid element. I think ambient notes (or something more) could have enhanced the overall song. Fortunately, from 6:42 to 7:19 has an attractive, goa-esque buildup that releases at 6:20 and engages until the ninth minute. It's great. I would have ended the song at 9:35, as the female voice continues a minute further to less effect IMO. Overall, this is a well done song with beauty, depth, substance, and light (I'm between a B+/A-). Another great number! A-

Conclusion - Very good release! Why only 5 tracks? Considering the album is free, I'm not complaining, just curious. Also, why call this Goatree? That artist name sounds too "nice" or generic (no offense) IMO. It does not showcase the style, such as this album that's more night-esque sounding. The title of the album, "The Force" is good though. If Suntrip compiles another Temple Of Chaos-esque compilation at some point in the future, I imagine this artist has potential to be a candidate based on some of his work on The Force (both the track and self-titled) album. Msg to artist: Keep up the great work and thank you for sharing your creative talent with others for free. All of the tracks stand out and are very good/great with exception to #2 IMO. The Force is a great release that showcases some awesome (means fantastic in our country) work.

Favorite tracks - 1, 3, 4, 5.

B+

I guess the reason why I like this so much is the combination of that old-school rawness and downright in-your-face-value (and with this I do mean the Kick and bass) together with nice melodies. Great use of voice-samples, fitting them perfectly into the right atmosphere. Ow and that acid comes straight from the 90's I reckon...

Very good job!

And it's free!

hey guys, thanks for reviews and feedback

it is great to read how you percieved certain parts/elements of the tracks, especially I am more than happy that you have found out that "something" in the prayer

I will focuse in the future to get rid of the static parts ;)

Probably this is the best place to say that full-lenght album by GoaTree is now confirmed and it will be released by Neogoa in 2014! Thanks again for reviews!

Please keep us tuned with that ;). And also if you could give me some news about how Morphic Resonnance album is going...If I remind me well, it will be released in July, is it right ?

hey guys, thanks for reviews and feedback

it is great to read how you percieved certain parts/elements of the tracks, especially I am more than happy that you have found out that "something" in the prayer

I will focuse in the future to get rid of the static parts ;)

this is a good things that you read some reviews in order to see what is good and what isn't with your music. I just hope your next album will also be good, so you can confirm you're in my favourite newschool artist ;).

Please keep us tuned with that ;). And also if you could give me some news about how Morphic Resonnance album is going...If I remind me well, it will be released in July, is it right ?

We're working at the moment on his EP release and that one probably will be sometime in August, and hopefully he will appear on our compilations aswell. Regarding the full-lenght album, we will speak about that and if all goes as planned you can expect it sometime in 2014. Will keep you and other people interested in MR posted and informed, here on Psynews and on our social networks :)

• 2 months later...

lO3V0AR.jpg

Artist: GoaTree

Title: The Force EP

Label: Neogoa

Date: May, 2013

1. Ray Subject - Nanoverse (GoaTree Remix)

2. Mementos Mortis

3. The Force

4. Sleeper

5. The Prayer

There's a goa tree now?

This it?

EEeFJ7x.jpg

Ents...do things...very...slowly. You just read that in the Ent voice didn't you?

First I've heard of him. But leave it to Ivan and Neogoa to uncover the good stuff. Released at the same time as Slow Tachyon by SoulQuark if it is even half as good it's another bucket of win.

Nanoverse- I've heard some Ray Subject tracks in the past but they've long faded from memory. This is a good remix that captures the old school style reminiscent of the OOOD sound back when he was all up in your goa ear hole.

Memento Mortis- This one kinda drags. Not terrible by any stretch, but it's been done many times before. I did like the end when he began to pile on the layers. Somewhat sinister. Just took too long to get to that point. But don't fade on me...it gets better.

The Force- "The force is what gives the Jedi his power. It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us, penetrates us, it binds the galaxy together."

cZsfvcn.gif

"Down, sh*t is going." And there you are with the Yoda voice.

It's actually a performance enhancing drug. Undetectable by even the most corruptible IOC official. A great track. It's how you do some dark bad assery. Thumping rhythms and quality knob twiddling. Great ending too.

Sleeper- Once you get past the cringeworthy sample you're in for a pretty good track. But you gotta get past it. And if you manage to push through the gag reflex (like when one eats hummus) the end has another sample to make sure it's full spew ahead. This one gets skipped every time cause I'm tired of dry heaving.

The Prayer- You magnificent bastard. This is a helluva pumping good time. Bollywood-esque vocal? I feel like an Indian pimp who can't pronounce his v's. I haven't heard a prayer this good since electronic universe (winks at Radi).

This was a quality EP. Storming goa trance that ushers in a new name to the scene. Way to go Neogoa!

Free at Ektoplazm

Mdk