Brand new Shpongle just released!

Lemmiwinks

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am listening and reviewing within the next few days. Having never hear of Sphongle before, my view will be solely based on the album as a single, not relating it to the other albums Sphongle has produced. From what I have heard, it seems cinematic. I will post results here in a few days.

I am listening and reviewing within the next few days. Having never hear of Sphongle before, my view will be solely based on the album as a single, not relating it to the other albums Sphongle has produced. From what I have heard, it seems cinematic. I will post results here in a few days.

That should be an interesting perspective, looking forward to it. After that, I would definitely recommend you listen to all the Shpongle albums, in order.

I listened to the album through headphones and also floor speakers. There is only one track which is cinematic and that would be "The Epiphany of Mrs Kugla", which is still good but may be on the less psychedelic side. There are musical samples from the TV show Twin Peaks and from Pink Floyd's On The Run. Pink Floyd was one of Simon's favorite bands in high school, so it's not a surprise to see the influence. Consider the last track a Shpongle remix of On The Run, if you will.

My initial impression: a good album but not a masterpiece. 7/10

Guest antic

It's ridiculous. The album is available in full length on Twisted Rec.'s youtube channel, yet I can't fucking buy the CD anywhere - the shop at shpongle.com hangs during the process and no other shop seems to be selling it. Way to go Twisted and please don't be surprised if people will simply pirate it, if you make it so difficult to buy it legally...

Hope Benji's album will be more easily accessible.

Guest antic

...the shop at shpongle.com hangs during the process and no other shop seems to be selling it...

Ok, problem solved - turns out I couldn't use polish letters in the address, which Chrome or Android wasn't highlighting properly. I've just ordered the limited edition CD and am downloading the digital version as we speak :)

Alarm off :D

It's ridiculous. The album is available in full length on Twisted Rec.'s youtube channel

That's very nice...but quite late. I seriously tried to find proper samples to make an informed decision. Eventually I ended up downloading a warez copy just to hear what I'm buying. Then I "pre-ordered" both the CD and the vinyl. So a friendly message to Twisted (and anyone else releasing music while worrying about piracy): if you want to reduce the grey download count, how about giving good options to legit buyers? I may be a fan but not a "shell out 30e without hearing first" fan.

Seriously, the only thing I need for buying is long, easily playable samples. Not 30 second clips. Not a tiny, ugly, crashing flash player hidden somewhere. Not two pages of marketing blurb about how totally awesome the release is. Just the samples, first and foremost. Thank you.

The album is great, BTW.

Guest antic

Wow. Antic mate calm down, it's just music.

See Dolmot's post above - it's not just me having issues with Twisted's misguided policies. I'm puzzled why the CD's not available in regular on-line shops, why to find it you have to dig deep and have to deal with shops noone ever heard off and why digital release comes before physical one discouraging legit purchases - it's difficult to shell out 20EUR for CD if the whole album is already available in torrents for a week.

And so it happens that music is one of the most important things in my life so don't be surprised such an unproffesional behavior gets me worked up :)

Probably i'm the only one here who isn't amazed that much with latest Shpongle full-lenght. Dunno why, but this album sounds nice but in my case it doesn't offer something new and fresh that you could expect from Shpongle, especially after so much waiting. One of the reasons probably is that they somehow spoiled me so much that I'm expecting always more and better, but this time i'm kinda dissapointed. Saying that especially because the fact that I enjoyed a lot more not-so-much-hyped psychedelic chillout releases by Kurbeats (ex. Yggdrasil) and new Entheogenic. Anyway, I'll give a couple of more plays for MoC album, but feeling is a lot more different than it was when NLBNIL was released in 2005.

Guest antic

Probably i'm the only one here who isn't amazed that much with latest Shpongle full-lenght. Dunno why, but this album sounds nice but in my case it doesn't offer something new and fresh that you could expect from Shpongle, especially after so much waiting.

No, you're not alone in this. It seems like they took the weakest (IMO :)) tracks from last album - I Am You, No Turn Un-stoned - and built full album in that style: Raj is talking, Michelle's singing, there's a 'trippy' part in the middle and 4/4 dancefloor ending; leaving behind all that magic found in Electroplasm, Nothing Is Something or Fluorescent Suit. Seems to me like this time there's fewer 'live' musicians involved, resulting in the music sounding more electronic, calculated and cold. As a result it's much more homogeneous compared to Ineffable Mysteries, which was a true ride through some weird - and thus exciting - places. Also, Michelle Adamson was never a good singer and her presence in a lot of tracks doesn't really help.

Sure, I've only listened to it 3-4 times so far while doing something else and it might grow on me, but nothing so far wowed me like it did with past albums - nothing made me stop what I do, rewind the music and listen more carefully. Guess they simply passed that point of being able to surprise me... :-(

I've bought from said shop before. They are selling it early as a marketing campaign to cash in. They don't care about cheap psy hippies any more, they have the hipster American cash crowd behind them now. Digital before physical is a regular feature of Bandcamp. There's actually nothing surprising it at all. It's simple marketing & profiteering. If you don't like what they're doin noone's forcing you with a gun to your head to support it.

Also, Michelle Adamson was never a good singer and her presence in a lot of tracks doesn't really help.

Hey Whoaa.. You can knock the music but no one says anything bad about my Michelle !

:P

Lol

Guest antic

I've bought from said shop before. They are selling it early as a marketing campaign to cash in. They don't care about cheap psy hippies any more, they have the hipster American cash crowd behind them now. Digital before physical is a regular feature of Bandcamp. There's actually nothing surprising it at all. It's simple marketing & profiteering. If you don't like what they're doin noone's forcing you with a gun to your head to support it.

So I can either buy & shut up or not buy & only then I'm allowed to criticize?

Good luck with that kind of attitude in your grown up life (work, raising children, etc).

Hey Whoaa.. You can knock the music but no one says anything bad about my Michelle !

I'm with antic on this one. I love Hari Om's singing, though. Is she on the new album?

Guest antic

I'm with antic on this one. I love Hari Om's singing, though. Is she on the new album?

I'm yet to receive my physical copy and mp3's come without any tags, but I'd say Hari Om is unfortunately absent here - all the singing is quite straightforward, without the professional virtuosity she displayed in e.g. Sea of Blissful Awareness, so I'd say it's Michelle all the way.

Which I'm not saying is bad, but the album would definitely benefit form someone more capable :)

Guest antic

I'm yet to receive my Epiphanyal copy and mp3's come without any tags, but I'd say Hari Om is unfortunately absent here

I take it back - Hair On is featured on at least two songs - Aquatic Gardens and Epiphany.

Damn, I need to stop commenting until I heard the CD at least 10-15 times :-)