Are you employed?

Procyon

What's networking?

It involves using personal and professional contacts to assist with a job search or to help achieve career goals.

Exactly. You dont have to network to be able to get in a company.

You have to be good at something, and have confidence in yourself.

Of course it HELPS if a friend recommends you, but it isnt necessary.

It's not absolutely necessary, but it's a great advantage to have. You can have amazing abilities, but most of the time an employer doesn't give a rat's ass about your skills without employment experience.

^DP is speaking the truth. Networking gives you a huge advantage.

DP is speaking half the truth.

This approach works verry good for IT and eletronic stuff or if you'r a sales/markting/travel guy.

Go code some fancy cool new app-thing and put it online somehwere. Companies on the same business will come after you to ask you working for them without you networking at all. You don't even need to signup on LinkedIn... if you do so you get even more jobspam.

But it doesn't work for 'normal'ppl. What kind of business network do you have if you'r selling burger or cleaning up the toilet? Yeah.. I'm sure the burger king general manager will message you immedialy if he sees that you quit on mc'dondals :D:P

It involves using personal and professional contacts to assist with a job search or to help achieve career goals.

It's not absolutely necessary, but it's a great advantage to have. You can have amazing abilities, but most of the time an employer doesn't give a rat's ass about your skills without employment experience.

I see you mentioned "employment experience". I dont recall me saying anything about that, nor do I recall the thread mentioning this.

So why do you mention this?

we were talking about networking and wether or not that was necessary. Employment experience has nothing to do with it, and is of course an entirely different subject.

It certainly doesn't hurt and there is Zero sense in shunning things like linked in... Just putting your head in the sand and pretending they don't exist or help at all is silly.. Might as well take advantage of such simple tools.

The more people that Know you are good at your job the better, and that's what they are for.

And yes I'm employed. Had only 3 months off when I quit last year after 11 years for Holiday. Now working holiday overseas. Long service payout + shit tonne of owed holidays from my last job was epic. :D

Well, as I am in the process of divorcing after an eight-years marriage, I'll find myself unemployed near December, as he will close/sell our lounge bar. After I calmed down, I decided to start a hairdresser/barber course. It will give me money, free time on weekends I don't have now and a new profession.

Four years? How do you manage? I'm curious. I've been unemployed since June and I can't stand it anymore.

I like being unemployed. I have plenty of things to keep me busy, in fact I don't have nearly enough time to do all the things I'd like to.

I like being unemployed. I have plenty of things to keep me busy, in fact I don't have nearly enough time to do all the things I'd like too.

Yes.

Lucky bastard, I guess. I wish I could enjoy my unemployment the same way you do.

:D

Have I ever told you that I had a dream that we are best buddies in the universe? That you are the most smart and beautiful person in the whole world? You are a dream come true? :wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub: (don't call me "bitch!", I am being sincere, I swear it's all true!!) :D:D:D:D

I'm flattered, but after four years of unemployment the money is almost gone.

I'm flattered, but after four years of unemployment the money is almost gone.

:o what? Really? Oh, not that it was about all that mountain of money everybody is talking about, no! I was being sincere, really. Errrr, if you excuse me, I have to visit my grandmother's aunt's uncle who is not feeling well. See you!!! :D:D:D

• 3 months later...

Studied 2 years of history at the Antwerp University after which I studied 3 years to become a licensed teacher (history-English-religion) .... However during my last year I really started to dislike teaching ... too much paperwork and stuff ... so now I manage the daily operations of a small 4-star hotel (36 rooms) in the center of Antwerp which I have been doing now for the past 4 years ... interesting but stressfull at times ...

After I was fired at the first hotel I worked for (reorganisation because of crisis) I was unemployed for a year ... traveled most of that time and was lucky enough to find a new job after my first job interview ...