01 - Shunya - Deep States (Revisited)
02 - Kanka - Mira
03 - No Room - Made In Rainy
04 - Already Maged - Sulphur And Mercury
05 - DoHm - Silent Existence
06 - Farebi Chilebi - Swoon
07 - Molokow - Fields Of Aaru
08 - Parus - Afterlife
09 - Captain Kirk - Break On Through (To The Other Side)
10 - Six Fingered People - Polypi

In the mist of nothingness, where breath and matter is nonexistent, a small fragment unknowingly begins to glow and evolve chaotically. This object becomes the center of everything, and for the first time in the infinite history of this land, color is created. Blue and orange clouds of gas combust into tall ruby fires amongst scattered pearly stars, violent oceans of green and purple waves bounce up and down newly formed spiraling horizons, and clusters of strange and exotic entities gasp into existence. Its dance spreads a beautiful and endless dream world of floating bricked towers, grassy mazes surrounding thick metallic waterfalls, and snowy pathways dripping downwards into oblivion. An observer, far away from the boundaries of this universe quietly sits and stares deep into its eyes. Then, from within the very depths of arabesque paradise, sound is created. He wakes up to find himself lost in this newly spawned world. Confused, he staggers in a daze, mystified and terrified by a barrage of strangely welcoming plants that move back and forth in dashing winds. Climbing through the alien world, he reaches the peak of a cliff and stares out into an open plane of astral creations, floating slowly in a never-ending abyss of abstractionism. As he glances over the wonders of his new reality, he takes a relaxing seat and smiles. This is the afterlife.
Deep States (Revisited) by Shunya
The eery yet soothing pads layering against each other are extremely fitting for this engulfing introduction. As I stare at the album artwork, I feel as if I am being taken away into another state of consciousness. Similar to the sounds of Solar Fields, the slow yet heavy bass progression delicately opens up a door into another dimension. The imaginary walls of this world are easily accessible, thanks to this captivating expressionism of sound. I can definitely tell you used Komplete to create this, if I am wrong let me know. You did an absolutely fantastic job at utilizing your sounds, crafting them to produce a wonderful soundscape. Everything morphs into a road and I am taken on a constant journey where the universe the song creates evolves. It is so calm and intricate. If putting me into a deep state was your intention, your certain achieved it with this tune.
Mira by Kanka
Beginning with the chitter chatter of a delayed synth line, Mira progresses with echoing pads and abstract percussion to start a bit of a different style. Different from the first track, Kanka shows uniqueness through wobbly, delicious bass lines and constantly organic tuned sounds. Around 3:30, it develops into a more active, heavier vision. I can also hear Solar Fields and Carbon Based Lifeforms inspiration in this track. It paints a interesting journey, making me want to go for a long walk in the middle of the night to explore unfound areas. I desire more, and enjoy the melodies that carry this track into a psychedelic art form. The land of Mira is awesome.
Made In The Rainy by No Room
Darker elements are chosen in Made In The Rainy. Paying attention to filling up the left and right channels with clearly enjoyable sounds produces an original and perfect backbone. In the center of this structure lies an addicting drum line mixed with some enchanting sounds. I feel as if I am inside a cave, running through a maze of rock hard, wet walls that lead into a cavern full of dazzling creatures. The style is a bit brighter towards the four minute marker, sounding like rain dripping into puddles. I didn’t particularly care for the melody towards the end but it did get its point across.
Sulphur and Mercury by Already Maged
Another darker track, as expected from its chemically raw related title. I am very glad to hear each artist in the album so far has stayed true to a unique style with different development and interesting composition. I thoroughly enjoy the progressions towards the beat that comes in at the one minute marker. The out-of-tune chords match the mood perfectly, and the light touch of background noise is wonderful. I can imagine a haunted house full of undead figures dancing the night away as a group of curious teenagers with a stupid dog come across the gloomy horrors. I can’t help but smile at this track. It it wonderfully quirky. Why wasn’t this used in a cartoon? It definitely could be. Oh man, after the four minute marker things get really interesting. The length of Sulphur and Mercury is highly entertaining with top notch replay value and production quality. The composition is groovy! And oh boy, your going to really dig the track around six minutes. Everything is psychedelic from captivating start to original finish.
Silent Existence by DoHm
Woh, is that quote in the introduction from the movie INK? AWESOME choice! If it isn’t I am mistaken, but either way I love the voice sample. In this track, we move onto a more tribal feel in the downtempo spectrum. With expected progression, the orchestration of percussion, guitars, and pianos follows an epic and deep electronic simulation into an African-like land. Satisfying leads and euphoric buildups make this track beautifully made. The melodies are all very well done! I can see myself playing this in the car to go deep into thought.
Swoon by Farebi Chilebi
Looks like its time for a slower, Jazzier track! Nighttime elements sprout up from the ground into a forest of gooey swamps and dark green trees that tower high into the moon filled sky. Get ready to feel lost, bewildered, and confused in this darkpsy head bobbing universe. The bass in the background of this strange and twisted environment is funky enough to make me feel drunk. Yes, that is a very good thing. With unconventional sounds, memorable tunes, and slow-time progression, Swoon is an impressive creation that can take anyone on a journey. I can’t stop listening to that baseline, its like I’m being chained down to my chair with this awesome track. Hell yeah.
Fields of Aaru by Molokow
Aaru must be somewhere in the Middle East, or no wait, the wild wild west, well wait a minute what the? Man this style is gorgeously diverse! Woh baby, I can play this sexy song on the dance floor. The beat creation skills featured in Fields of Aaru are simply swell. With obvious automation talents, Molokow can bend sounds at will with his synthesizers. The instruments are fitting for every minute, crafting together a desert theme full of sand and sunsets. Smooth, clean, and perfectly progressive. It even gets a little glitchy after the 5 minute marker, so your in for a treat. This is one of my favorite tracks on the album. I love it! Every little gap in the drum pattern is filled with some really interesting and creative elements. I want to live wherever these fields are.
Afterlife by Parus
Head bobbing, funky, downtempo styles are everywhere. String instruments, slower than usual Goa elements, and some kicks far out melodies bring everything together in a sort of Asian culture that reminds me of Buddahism. I feel this track is referring to the Third Eye, taking on a attitude meant to take listeners on a pathway towards enlightenment. It has a lot of organicness to it, yet it also adds some high class nostalgic and well programmed sounds that zap and zip in the foreground while a mixture of drums and guitars sing together. The mood is inspiring, and I feel very up in the air at every second. This track is very professionally done, paying high attention to the collection of highs, miss, and lows in order to layer it all on a beautifully done canvas. If anything, this track certainly reminds me of the masterful cover art. It feels like I am dead, traveling through a world unknown. Its like astral projection, and I am not talking about the psytrance group.
Break on Through (To the Other Side) by Captain Kirk
Starting with a twisted and strange sound world, Break On Through (To the Other Side) has the same feel that Afterlife does, yet it opposes it with a darker attitude. Echoing, triumphant pops and gargles fly and crash into mountainous walls, tribal elementals wash over the funkylicious body, and slowly evolving quirkiness fills the track to the brim with darkpsy inspirations. Unique from a downtempo style, Captain Kirk slows down a psytrance feeling commonly used for mind screws and gives it a fresh dose of styling beat mashing, scarily long textures, and basses meant to move crowds through the night. It is very interesting to hear this dark style slowed down and intensified. Awesome stuff. Prepare to board a spaceship to another dimension with heavy metal playing aliens around the six minute marker. Don’t worry, they are cool dudes and are totally down for kicking it as long as you have VIP backstage passes.
Polypi by Six Fingered People
IDM configurations ahoy! Blast that bass and get off your ass to this danceable delight. Taking from commonly used dubstep styles and drum n bass influences, this bigger, better, and broader idea combines all of that and turns it into a killer gangsta smash of totally tubular bodacious and sexy put-these-shades-on-bro kickassery. With a totally different feel, Polypi is the best ending for this album I could ever ask for. It ties everything into a nice package of bitchin drum kits, plucking synth explosions, and chillaxing beat grids. Take a ride on the soul train into a Psydub, Downtempo experience and enjoy the sexy universe of apparently Six Fingered People. (They must be the runner up band for the aliens in the last song).
OVERALL
An extremely diverse, talented, and unique group of artists who rest near the lower bpm side of the musical spectrum come together to bring you a brief look into the moments after death. In this “afterlife”, expect anything from soothing pad structures laced with intelligent and advanced synthesizer programming, to funky and quirky idm beat lines meant for moving any head. The album progresses through a wonderful electronic journey that can expand your imagination to its outer limits. Put on your best pair of headphones or blast this in your car on a road trip, the wonderfully played compositions and killer bass leads will tear you up with euphoric joy and inspirational engulfing marches of pure music. As the artwork describes, the psychedelic, downtempo, darkpsy, and idm experience of “Through The Afterlife” is destined to make anyone think. Open your mind and let the powerful masterpieces plant a seed into your brain. Its going to grow into a colorful, abstract tree that holds the very cores and visions each artists holds so dearly to their hearts. And boy, when this tree stops sprouting you will have all of these artistic expressions lined up neatly side by side in an image that can only be described as phenomenal. Have you ever had a permanent idea stuck inside your head because of a discovery? Well, now you do. Take a moment to be taken away to the land after death and breath the world in deep. Your going to love it.
10/10

(MP3, FLAC, WAV)

- Review by FatKidWitaJetPak (Nick Sumbles)

- Special Thanks to Ektoplazm for the download bandwidth.

- Special Thanks to James Mccarthy for his incredibly talented artwork! Check him out here.

Easily my favorite release this year.

In these few weeks your reviews have become a natural part of psynews, for me at least - hope you'll continue to write them on a regular basis. Thanks a lot.

In these few weeks your reviews have become a natural part of psynews, for me at least - hope you'll continue to write them on a regular basis. Thanks a lot.

+1

That means a lot guys. I am currently writing a book about the current Psytrance movement (1994 - Present) that goes over the passions and perspectives of listeners and artists everywhere. I have been writing reviews for years. Back on a website called Newgrounds, I had about 1300 reviews on there. I discovered Psytrance in 2012, and a month ago I decided to put all my passions towards understand the visions behind the synthesizers. Now, I am interviewing and reviewing as many releases as I can. I am glad the community here cares and gets the music as much as I do. There really is a wonderful amount of discoveries to be made, and every song takes me closer to achieving that enlightenment. Thanks for the support!

This blew me away!! What a stunning release! Can anyone recommend me more releases with this kind of trippy/foresty downtempo?

Yes - V/A - "Conundrum Concoction" from 2012 was fantastic - there are 3 Molokow tracks, 3 Derango tracks, and 3 Prisma tracks on that one - stellar release..

Yeah, I was already aware of this release, have it in my wantlist for some time now... Should be getting it asap! Any other releases like this you guys know about?

Really nice compilation this, the tracks by Dohm, Already Maged and Farebi Chilebi stand out the most for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I was already aware of this release, have it in my wantlist for some time now... Should be getting it asap! Any other releases like this you guys know about?

Really nice compilation this, the tracks by Dohm, Already Maged and Farebi Chilebi stand out the most for me.

I remember first hearing DOHM a couple of months ago in his Swampology release. I adore his deep and dark soundscapes.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...