The harsh reality... Why Psytrance has become shit

Anoebis

@rotwang

yup, seems like it.

@imba's photo

iirc that was at czechtek 2004. i actually was at the same festival and there were much stranger sights to be seen there. it's also part of the anarchistic idea prevalent at those events to no care about such things.

@darkill & Padmapani: I believe your disagreement is based on a misunderstanding - correct me if I'm wrong but I think darkill used the word "psychedelic" as a shorthand for "psychedelic trance" as a genre, whereas Padmapani read it as an adjective describing the track. IOW, a track can be psytrance without actually being psychedelic.

Oh yeah, that must be this ! I didn't think he would us Psychedelic as an adjectiv :P

Thank you for having clarified this !

I wish more fullon psytrance sounded like this - long build-ups, sick break-downs, killer groovy vibe, tight samples, sound effects way trippier and more original than what you hear nowadays - these tracks and the rest of the album is from 2001, and sounds so much fresher than what I hear nowadays..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9aeXwCoEh4

I really had to laugh a lot - all the more so since much of it seems true, from what I've gathered so far. In fact, most of the ten points had crossed my mind before at parties when the more mainstream kind of stuff was playing. The triplets in particular made me laugh: last time I was at a party (my second one of all time, actually), I couldn't help thinking how easily the majority of the audience could be 'tricked' into applauding the DJ and dancing more intensely as soon as such triplet bass lines set in. I found it to be a really cheap trick with little to no musical value, since there was nothing else to catch interest on the musical side.

I really had to laugh a lot - all the more so since much of it seems true, from what I've gathered so far. In fact, most of the ten points had crossed my mind before at parties when the more mainstream kind of stuff was playing. The triplets in particular made me laugh: last time I was at a party (my second one of all time, actually), I couldn't help thinking how easily the majority of the audience could be 'tricked' into applauding the DJ and dancing more intensely as soon as such triplet bass lines set in. I found it to be a really cheap trick with little to no musical value, since there was nothing else to catch interest on the musical side.

Sur, using only triplet to make public dance is not that good...

But making a dynamic and powerfull Rythmic with the help of triplet can make a really good stuff !

As Rotwang said, I think it's more about fact that those triplet are overused

Yes, certainly. I wouldn't argue against triplets as a matter of principle, of course they could also be used to make tracks more dynamic and rhythmically complex, but I haven't heard any such examples so far to be honest.

• Like 1

Yes, certainly. I wouldn't argue against triplets as a matter of principle, of course they could also be used to make tracks more dynamic and rhythmically complex, but I haven't heard any such examples so far to be honest.

Well, take a hear at this

This send you directly to the middle of the track, when tripplets come, but you can listen to the entire song, that's an amazing track !

Look at how the triplet help giving this track a good rythmic. The snare does it very well too !

I don't even speak of the atmosphere of this track...So wonderful !

I've had the luck to have seen Zen Mechanics playing it live at Timegate 2012 ! It was fantastic ! It has even been recorded ! If you wan't to see it, it's here

• 2 years later...

This video nailed it down. Psytrance has become shit. This is why when I say I listen to psychedelic trance, people think I mean "psytrance", and I say "no, not psytrance as you know it". I only listen to goa trance (old school and neo-goa), to clear things up. These are really different genres.

• Like 1

Uncreative, repetive nothingness. Its why I stopped going to psy-trane raves although there are some Djs doing a good job of keeping goa alive here and that makes me happy.

I think that the increasing popularity of stimulants is the catalyst for such "evolution" of sound.

Huh! One more supporter of Russian "Drugs and Mafia" killing/controlling the scene ;) looks like I'm right :P

Well I kinda am. I mean Im totally fine with drugs and even though I wasnt there to witness it back then, I reckon they were always present in the scene. Just dont like the direction the scene took and Im pretty sure the repetitivness of sound was the product of the needs of an intoxicated mass. :)
  • Like 1

Regarding the video, it perfectly describes nowadays' commercial "psy"-trance and, also, that's why I lost some interest towards new prog and psycore stuff.

Btw, triplets are good when used properly.

Russians are always to blame for everything. :)

Hey wait a minute.. I didnt mean it that way. Long time there was some discussion on the same lines. And I had just given an example of a what the general 'feeling' and 'reality' is of here. If you are Russian, I'm sorry I didnt mean to disrespect your country. But man, your mafia is everywhere. Thank god that Krokodil is not here! And if you look carefully its more like accusing my own country's government for being non-stringent.

I am a Russian but I take it easy. It was ironical, no offence taken at all :) I actually understand what you are talking about, I'm not into drugs and rave parties, for me psytrance is just music I love and nothing more, but I'm aware about our drug dealers and their connection to horrible Russian darkpsy music.

Well, if you are living in India and know the word "Krokodil", that's not a good sign actually.