The harsh reality... Why Psytrance has become shit

Anoebis

Well, Tomorrowland is thé perfect example of a hype, where simple music appeals a HUGE crowd... The decorations are amazing, and the soundsystems too... And probably the atmosphere as well (as everyone goes there as if they are the chosen ones...), but the music...? Terrible... It's all a matter of taste of course, but when Yahel, Astral,... played there, it were their worst tracks they played! (Although I am sure Axis would have worked for such a public as well!!)

i like to bag shit out from time to time (think you all know what i mean, but when it comes down to it, when you are on the dance floor ANYTHING GOES!

i remember seeing back in the day old people, young people, just people, having fun, and that should always be number 1,

i can't stand alot of the generic tracks coming out these days, if someone is invading your space on the dance floor in a bad way, then thats a problem, otherwise, i love to see people having fun, the dance styles, the idiocy, but as long as it's harmless..... love it.

psytrance is psytrance goood and not so good, but.............. fuck it, lifes to short!

you guys in europe got it good with your scene, we got our share to, but, man you got a good thing going!

my 2 cents

nice vid joske

fucking hillarious

love it!

That video on the first post is so true...and sad...

What makes me happy with it is that we (Suntrip) release something completely different.

Note the source of this video is on Loud's Youtube page, and they can, because they are amongst those who have a non-"normalized" sound.

I guess you dance like her.

No, my dancing is nowhere near as good as hers. Luckily for me, though, the kind of people who go to the same parties as me are not going to judge me on the quality of my dancing, or how I dress, or my haircut, or any other stupid shit like that.

Please don't tell my friends you know me, ok? :(

Sure. We wouldn't want your friends to know that you associate with people who dance the wrong way, would we? These are the same friends who you said would take the piss if you started using an Android phone instead of an iPhone, I assume? You're welcome to them.

ps Psy Jackson, how fucking original. What a joke.

I know, right? They could at least have come up with "Psychael Jackson".

I nevet mentioned then and now that it was the old-schoolers that sneered at her, as you three inferred.

Another video that caused real furor, but this time inside the psy trance crowd was this one below. It was kind of a benchmark for many - mainly old schooler like myself - because it sort of officialized the "new" psy sound (the same featured in the Future Ducks of London) and the new crowd, the new generation that was arriving at the dancefloors and were doing ridiculous dances, like this girl.

What's the name of the track playing? I gotta have it for my next dj gig...

Doh! I was going to ask what the song name was too ;p

@paradox: for those arriving at the scene at that time (2006-2007) this is the only psychedelic trance they know. For those curious this piece of crap was written by GMS and Wrecked Machines, two big pieces of s**t, no doubt.

I'd had many talks with my psyhead friends and we agree it was then and even certain releases from 2005, when the cheesey psy started. a shame

edit: forgot to mention that because of this, is was sometime in 2006 when I stopped keeping up to date on releases which still screws me to now. I dig out some gems from time to time and remember being so happy when I foundd Jaws Underground and Psywalker albums. CPU's - Discodelic was a bombshell towards my psy passion...wa wa ;p

and yes, dance how you want!

and who is Loud? Did I miss something? haha!

Watching the Tomorrowland video - thats way to many people! I have no problem walking through a crowd like that but, give me some trance-dance space. it looks like a fun time but I cant just jump up and down to music. not sure if that would kill my knees quicker ;p Now I wonder what the crowd reaction would be if it was music we all approved playing instead..hmmmm

if someone is invading your space on the dance floor in a bad way, then thats a problem, otherwise, i love to see people having fun, the dance styles, the idiocy, but as long as it's !

I remember seeing this one girl change her dance moves up to "push" a guy back to where he was dancing all frenetic and way to close to her space. it was awesome and my friend next to me noticed it too. This girl changed her arm movements to a waving fashion and kind of thrusted forward a little, but still in place while giving the guy eye contact. he was clearly doped out on something but got the picture haah!

Im very self-aware when dancing and love changing up what Im doing when I see someone trying to walk by, squeezing through, allowing me to dance around them out of the way haha!

forgot to mention for the 10 reasons video psytrance is shit, I absolutely cant stand number 4 and have had many posts mentioning so on DI when catching a song. a senseless breakdown that kills the energy of the track and worse when there is a breakdown when you think a climax is about to happen. on the dancefloor this throws me off too and Im just like "aww c'mon!" haha!

Triplets are no longer a valid musical device ... ?

I think it's more a laugh towards the tendency to use a simple break -> triplets as a cheap "wow" factor (trust me, I've seen it on the dancefloor numerous times). Nothing wrong with triplets used in good taste, but those breaks, THOSE GODDAMN BREAKS, THEY'RE FUCKING EVERYWHERE (and as pointed out in the video, lead to the exact same thing, or maybe the exact same thing with one extra fart noise).

This seems like an ideal opportunity to bring this to a new audience.

Been a while since I last heard this. Fucking brilliant :DD Israeli baba plur shanti om.

maybe it is the future? ( approach to this ->

Eww, I could barely stand the 2 first minutes and had to stop after 3.

Eww, I could barely stand the 2 first minutes and had to stop after 3.

I watched... all of it... IT'S MY DAY OFF! I CAN DO WHAT I WANT WITH MY TIME! ;p

• Like 1

Loved that video. :D

Heh while I love every part of psy and the scene and even some of what it has become, I can definitely still laugh at it, and at myself heh. If you can't do that then...

Also makes me appreciate goa more :P heh.

Ps: I have tried and find all of Louds albums booriiiiing, but in a totally different way somehow. Least they are different I guess!

Sure. We wouldn't want your friends to know that you associate with people who dance the wrong way, would we? These are the same friends who you said would take the piss if you started using an Android phone instead of an iPhone, I assume? You're welcome to them.

Man, I can't believe you take seriously some of my black humour jokes. Do you really believe that I am such a cretin to ask a person to not tell my friends that he knows me?? Or that my friends and I really are so narrow minded that our friendship is based on iPhone or Androids?? All this was supposed to be teenager-style drama/joke comments, a la Family Guy or SNL, whatever. Tell you what: just like everybody else I am ridiculous at several points of my day, I call myself names for things I say or write wrongly. I laugh at myself and I laugh at others too. You could use that, it would make you less "so serious" to the point of - me - not seeing the line between you being perhaps healthly sarcastic or you being perhaps insulted (and insulting as we debated in PM some months ago). Relax a little when confrontated, make fun of other comments. Tell the person to go to hell, or to even deeper. But do not take them so seriously. I have met other Germans (very well endowed, by the way) that were witful and nice to be with, and when you guys joke you can be devastating. Try that.

If we meet someday at a party, I am going to be first to go and shake your hands, give you a hug and lead you to my tent. Or yours, if you wish so :D . (It's a joke ok? I don't want you believing that I made an pass on you and calling the police on me for harassment, right???)

As for the other pieces you picked from my comments, you win. Relax, man.

You could use that, it would make you less "so serious" to the point of - me - not seeing the line between you being perhaps healthly sarcastic or you being perhaps insulted (and insulting as we debated in PM some months ago).

I apologise for coming across as overly insulting.

Relax a little when confrontated, make fun of other comments.

That's what I was doing?

I have met other Germans (very well endowed, by the way) that were witful and nice to be with, and when you guys joke you can be devastating. Try that.

Actually I'm British (though I do have German blood).

Get a shag shack you both!

This seems like an ideal opportunity to bring this to a new audience.

Om killargh :lol:!

LOL. I really laughed MAO. It summarizes what psytrance has become today, unfortunately. Also regrettable is that the hot hunk in yellow swimming short (and the party itself) is Brazilian. This video even made to the national TV in a program about drugs.

Another video that caused real furor, but this time inside the psy trance crowd was this one below. It was kind of a benchmark for many - mainly old schooler like myself - because it sort of officialized the "new" psy sound (the same featured in the Future Ducks of London) and the new crowd, the new generation that was arriving at the dancefloors and were doing ridiculous dances, like this girl. Oh, I forgot to tell you: she was nicknamed "Psy Jackson" and was the target of jokes for years.

Perhaps that girl was just having fund and taking a piss at all this music/Jackson shite :D?

HOLY FUCK Procyon, the music in that video sounds like SHIT. If someone refers that garbage in the video as "psytrance" I, I.... I'm just speechless.

Relevant:

Haha, LMAO, brilliant :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dance like nobody is watching and enjoy in music that you love. It's simple :)

p.s. - Dance lessons from mr. Max ;)

LOL, yeah, he seems to be crazy there, nice in fact ;)!

forgot to mention for the 10 reasons video psytrance is shit, I absolutely cant stand number 4 and have had many posts mentioning so on DI when catching a song. a senseless breakdown that kills the energy of the track and worse when there is a breakdown when you think a climax is about to happen. on the dancefloor this throws me off too and Im just like "aww c'mon!" haha!

I fucking hate modern psytrance/full-on breaks, you get your breaks, no matter if its good or shitty and then after the break theres no climax, no power to the track, just the same boring baslline+kickdrum loop that was there prior to break, fucking crap, total let-down motherfuckers!

Been a while since I last heard this. Fucking brilliant :DD Israeli baba plur shanti om.

Sounds like a killar remix, you workin on it?

Well, I was rather passionate about oldschool psytrance and all this whining years ago about that good old days are gone were really popular(especially given that I never experienced 90s with their glorious and legendary tracks, albums and parties), that was circa around 2005-2007(when I also discovered psy and re-discovered Alien Protein which since then has been encoded into my DNA, irreversibly -_- ), then I started to listen to more of the contemporary sub-sounds of psytrance such as forest, psychedelic ambient, quality full on, later psy-progressive mashup came and I learned to enjoy all kinds of music no matter its age or name.

So I dont care that much about these videos, it might be true, but Im not a party goer, Im yet to go to a party but when I do it will one that will have everything that I desire it to have, not wasting myself with shitty maisntream wanabe-cokeheadpsyshit party.

So, all is cool, I listen to occassional newer released, still worship my Alien Protein, life is beautiful :)!

This video is blowing up everywhere. It's even huge on Reddit. I appreciate Loud's sense of humour and the points made therein... but to treat this as a serious, comprehensive survey of all the things that are wrong with psytrance today is to totally miss the joke. I don't think this deserves serious scrutiny and debate. LOL and move on, you know?

Still, if I am to give my 2 cents, I would sum up their top ten list like this: psytrance is shit because producers are unoriginal hacks pumping out cookie cutter garbage with a high level of craftsmanship/technical skill but no real artistic value. But hey, it's dance music, and there's always a lot of that generic filler going around no matter what style or time period you examine so don't sweat it... just focus on what's good.