The harsh reality... Why Psytrance has become shit

Anoebis

Rotwang posted the perfect example of the 10 rules applied into a track :excl: Well done!

LOL. I really laughed MAO. It summarizes what psytrance has become today, unfortunately. Also regrettable is that the hot hunk in yellow swimming short (and the party itself) is Brazilian. This video even made to the national TV in a program about drugs.

Another video that caused real furor, but this time inside the psy trance crowd was this one below. It was kind of a benchmark for many - mainly old schooler like myself - because it sort of officialized the "new" psy sound (the same featured in the Future Ducks of London) and the new crowd, the new generation that was arriving at the dancefloors and were doing ridiculous dances, like this girl. Oh, I forgot to tell you: she was nicknamed "Psy Jackson" and was the target of jokes for years.

[...]It was kind of a benchmark for many - mainly old schooler like myself - because it sort of officialized the "new" psy sound (the same featured in the Future Ducks of London) and the new crowd, the new generation that was arriving at the dancefloors and were doing ridiculous dances, like this girl. Oh, I forgot to tell you: she was nicknamed "Psy Jackson" and was the target of jokes for years.

If old-schoolers are in the habit of sneering at how others dance then the "new" psy sound is exactly what they deserve.

Triplets are no longer a valid musical device and there's now a 'right' way to dance?

No there's not. What really happened in 2007 is that this girl became the symbol of everything that made psychedelic trance ugly: the bad music, the "pay attention to me, please!" attitude, the party this was shot (Butterfly in the last edition left foreign artists without pay and air tickets). So the Psy Jackson dance was only the most visible part of a scene that some time was referred as "the new Goa" but ended up as the land of modern psy (which send us to the first post)

Edit: it was Sam of the original psy mailing list fame who once wrote that Brazil was about to become the "new Goa" in a review of Ypy Poty Festival - which I went.

• Like 1

No there's not. What really happened in 2007 is that this girl became the symbol of everything that made psychedelic trance ugly: the bad music, the "pay attention to me, please!" attitude, the party this was shot (Butterfly in the last edition left foreign artists without pay and air tickets). So the Psy Jackson dance was only the most visible part of a scene that some time was referred as "the new Goa" but ended up as the land of modern psy (which send us to the first post)

Edit: it was Sam of the original psy mailing list fame who once wrote that Brazil was about to become the "new Goa" in a review of Ypy Poty Festival - which I went.

Hi mate here's an opinion from someone who was in Goa in the 80's. It's that shitters like you with a superior attitude over how music is supposed to sound & how people should behave that has turned what was once a scene of love & joy in just exisiting in to a scene of attitude and pure ego building. You sound like that guy from Elyisum, Kristian Thinning. All he ever did was complain abou thow the scen had crapped on him, just the same negative rubbish over and over until people got tired of it.

I had a chat recently with my friend who is very big in the USA edm scene, and he knows what he's on about, I mean he was Aphen Twin's roadie for his first ever tour of the USA back in 95 or something, and the whole electronic scene see us as either old hippies with anegative attitude for the future or just as scene for drugs and little talent. I hate to say it but people like you just really prove the point. Get over yourself, that chica shouldn;t give a f#ck what you think and if she had 1% of self worth she'd just laugh at you and your pathetic opinion. You sound like a tired old record. Needs to been thrown out with the rest of the old school garbage.

• Like 1

Hi mate here's an opinion from someone who was in Goa in the 80's. It's that shitters like you with a superior attitude over how music is supposed to sound & how people should behave that has turned what was once a scene of love & joy in just exisiting in to a scene of attitude and pure ego building. You sound like that guy from Elyisum, Kristian Thinning. All he ever did was complain abou thow the scen had crapped on him, just the same negative rubbish over and over until people got tired of it.

I had a chat recently with my friend who is very big in the USA edm scene, and he knows what he's on about, I mean he was Aphen Twin's roadie for his first ever tour of the USA back in 95 or something, and the whole electronic scene see us as either old hippies with anegative attitude for the future or just as scene for drugs and little talent. I hate to say it but people like you just really prove the point. Get over yourself, that chica shouldn;t give a f#ck what you think and if she had 1% of self worth she'd just laugh at you and your pathetic opinion. You sound like a tired old record. Needs to been thrown out with the rest of the old school garbage.

Man, I dismiss your opinion because 1) you preach pretentious "peace" in a post full of offenses which don't really reach me. 2) I really saw this video and took part in its discussions at the time, but I nevet mentioned then and now that it was the old-schoolers that sneered at her, as you three inferred. Actually it was some of her mates that did it by publishing the vídeo with some ugly comments. 3) you're not in the local scene to understand completely the variations that affect the said scene. The same way I am not empty-head to analyse, say, the Russian scene because I don't know what exactly goes on there. 4) Ouch! Another one who could use a dance lesson ;) You too, don't wave that hand at me in front of my friends. It's embarrassing me.

Triplets are no longer a valid musical device and there's now a 'right' way to dance?

That.

Anyway, there is no need to take the video as some kind of ultimate truth. It's just a caricature made for a laugh. Same thing could be done about dark psy or goa or Techno or any kind of music, attitude, dancing an so on.......

Come on guys, everyone knows what he means... Many of us were part of the scene in the 90s or early 00's, and everyone saw a huge evolution on festivals... Music-wise, atmosphere-wise, dance-wise... I don't care how people dance as long as they have fun... but I understand his point and I don't think he wanted to laugh with that 1 girl... That girl is simply a symbol of "modern" psy-trance... If she loves to dance like that, whatever... if people see me dance, they would probably think I am a monkey too...

There's another video of Brazilian psy dances that caused a great debate so that some orgs felt relieved when the "dancers" didn't show up. But better not posting it here yet, some readers need to improve their interpretation skills to understand the subtleties of what they're seeing, the deeper meaning of it. No sarcasm intended at all.

infantile, simple-empty, all the same music's for primitive peoples (they love it!) = popularity = big money
this sh*t unenjoyable without drugs = need lof of drugs = big money
the music can be produced cheaply (a pc enough), be sold dearly = big money

if its working, profitable in every aspect.

this is my opinion.

maybe it is the future? ( approach to this ->

(sorry for my english bad..)