One way ticket to Mars - Competitors for the Mission to Mars project

Guest D N H

Guest D N H

I believe most of you have heard it that a mission to planet Mars project is on the prepare with the goal to place the first settlement by its permanets settlers, the first colonists & human explorers.

Mars One says 80,000 have applied for one-way mission to red planet

Almost 80,000 people have applied to take part in a one-way mission to Mars, each of them completing a rigorous application that stresses the need for a "Can Do!" attitude, asks individuals about their sense of humour and requires the submission of an application fee that can be as much as $75.

Mars One, the Dutch company behind the proposed mission, says it has received applications from more than 120 countries. It also says that the role of Mars explorer/guinea pig is "the most desired job in history". More than 17,000 of the applicants are from the US – the most of any country so far.

"These numbers put us right on track for our goal of half a million applicants," said the founder of Mars One, Bas Lansdorp. "Mars One is a mission representing all humanity and its true spirit will be justified only if people from the entire world are represented. I'm proud that this is exactly what we see happening."

According to the company's chief medical officer, Norbert Kraft, Mars One is eschewing the usual astronaut candidates – scientists and pilots – in favour of YouTube fanatics and internet people, "because what we are looking for is not restricted to a particular background."

All applicants have to do is pay the application fee, which ranges from $5 to $75 – in the US, it is $38 – and then submit a video in which they answer three questions. The specific queries chosen by Mars One to select four people to represent the expansion of the human race are:

1. Why would you like to go to Mars?

2. How would you describe your sense of humor?

3. What makes you the perfect candidate for this mission to Mars?

After completing the gruelling application, Mars hopefuls will have to sit tight for a while. Mars One is hoping that 500,000 will have applied by the end of August. That number will be whittled down to 50 to 100 for each of 300 geographic regions identified by the company. By 2015, that number will be reduced to between 28 and 40 overall.

Those people will train for seven years; Mars One plans to run a reality TV show with an "audience vote" deciding who will ultimately get the nod. The $6bn cost has to come from somewhere.

Happily, Mars One is publishing people's video applications to their website, allowing peers to rank the videos on a scale of one to five. One of the best-rated applications is by Ilona, a Finnish, 23-year-old "critically discerning cosmopolitan" who says she is a "bookish diplomat by nature". At the time of writing, one of the least popular applications had been submitted by Michael, 26, from the US, who lists his interests as "Star Trek: "minus the deep pace nine".

Any thoughts about it? Could this be a flippant enterprise or maybe something concealed behind it?

Have any of you guys here applied for participating to this Mission and to leave the earth forever to live on Mars?

That is difficult, I can imagine mars is a great planet after terraforming, it is even not very cold. It gets warm there in summers and much in the south the temps go up to 25 degrees which is a great temp. The smaller gravity compared to earth would allow for long walks and lighter movement. Mars is a very similar planet to earth and is not a damgerous planet at all. There is no oxigen which could be produced with terraforming but besides that there are not heavy storms, I mean really heavy like on Jupiter, the Atmosphere is light and has no hard pressure. It can serve humans for populating and/ or taking the ressources from it, haha. It will offer a lot of ressources for sure, but we have not to take everything like we did with earth. Besides the lack of plants and air it is hostile I think. It even has water.

you forget that mars doesn't have a magnetic field like the earth. if you lived with similar style as on earth on a terraformed mars (ah well, we're born a few centuries too early for that if that will ever happen), you'd have quite a sizable cancer risk.

It has some magnetic field, not big, but it does have a weak one according to the latest v shows I saw. Also the magnetic field could be increased. If humans need a second planet Mars is the best choise, there is no other planet in the solar system except earth, that is so quiet and hostile, even the temperatures are great in summer, 25 degrees, that is incredible.

Compare Mars with other planets and moons in the solar system and it is a very good planet. Basically the magnetic field and the lack of air are the only problems, it is calm, not heavy storms, it has water on the surface and under the surface, it even has seasons and there is snow on mars. The atmosphere even holds the temperatures at night,

Going to Mars on this 'mission' would be the last thing you ever do.

They make no bones about it being a one-way thing, they are looking for an older couple because they are the most stable psychologically and probably because if they died it wouldn't be as bad as if a 20-something girl died...

Companies all over are looking for new ways to make money and extracting minerals from the deep sea, asteroids, and even Mars has come up but they need people who will risk their lives to do the work.

The early work will be the hardest and the most dangerous. I will bet there are many pages of wavers you would have to sign to go do this kind of thing - but there are a lot of unemployed people!

So, come work for me, I will be starting a deep-sea mining company soon...just don't expect a glamorous life, a great place to live, or even much of a future.

Death could come at any time, but hey! it beats what your doing now, right - right.

I am wondering why especially this thread does not recieve any answers, is mars so unintersting to you? I would probably not like the idea to go there without returning, but Mars can be a good planet for people who want to populate different planets and in order to get ressources.

Honestly I hope this project dies on birth. We humans need to learn to preserve Earth first before thinking of populating another planet. The way it is, it looks like someone who is deep debt due to bad accountings asking a loan from a bank to cover his mess.

And do you think we will learn that? Do you think anyone will be driving less, buying less stuff he does not need? I know people who upgrade their computers as soon as a new computer item is available, people who drive a lot for fun and very fast so they use lot's of fuel and much more, that will not stop in near future I tell you. Even the electric cars are not progressing a lot and people don't like them at all.

I want to stay on earth and love earth as a planet, but would like some people to explore other planets, in future they could serve for ressources and so on.

I thought briefly about that when I first heard about it. I'd be willing to make a one-way trip if I felt there was a good purpose, but I'm not sure this mission has a useful goal. The goal seems to be just "get people on Mars". Okay, what then? What's the benefit? We can't colonize Mars so there should be some practical scientific purpose behind it.

There is certainly good practical scientific work that could be done on mars.

Will beans grow in martian soil? Will fungus survive? How far down do you have to dig to find water reservoirs ?

Is there life trapped underground in caverns?

All of those questions would take some time to answer and in the mean time you would have to survive in the same box you arrived in because there is no shielding the cosmic rays that bombard all the planets.

You would be eating freeze-dried paste every day hoping to get something growing before your stores of paste ran out and you starved.

Here is a link to a good story about the exposure to radiation on the way to and from Mars.

It states the exposure for the trip to and from Mars to be 660mSv.

So 180x2 gives you the 60% of the standard career exposure limit for space agencies today (1000mSv).

Quick math gives me 600 days to increase cancer risk by 5%.

The Curiosity rover is a great instrument for this kind of information.

And how is it on the planet itself? I saw that it has some magnetic field convering parts of the planet, so where an magnetic field exists life might be similar than on earth, plant some plants and enjoy the hot summer at the equator 20 °.

Here is a link to a good story about the exposure to radiation on the way to and from Mars.

It states the exposure for the trip to and from Mars to be 660mSv.

So 180x2 gives you the 60% of the standard career exposure limit for space agencies today (1000mSv).

Quick math gives me 600 days to increase cancer risk by 5%.

The Curiosity rover is a great instrument for this kind of information.

Anyway, the minimal cancer risk will not hinder the people going to Mars.

No I don't think we'll learn that. It's sad to think that in 1000 years time we'll have colonized Mars, Moon, and probably all the other terraneous planets as well.

I don't know but how I see mankind I personaly think that either we will change our ways rather fast or we will nuke (maybe not exactly nuke but something related to war) ourselves back to the technology level of the middle ages or something like that. Means if we really manage to colonize any planet within that time that's a good sign. Imagine how far we could have evolved space travelling if all the money that was and is blown out for wars and war technology was invested in space technology.

I personally think that recruiting volunteers for a mission like that is a good thing. Mainly because forcing people to do it is not right. I also think that it shoud not be a problem to find the right people among the volunteers. What makes me sceptical is the reality TV show part of it. I mean the public votes who will be able to go. I wonder on what criteria: who looks hot naked? Who is the biggest bitch/bellend? But besides that the possibility for a manned Mission to Mars sounds tempting to me. Not that I'm ready to give up my life but still.

Big brother on Mars would be very interesting and since a lot of people would watch it a lot of money would be returned. Looking how the people sit with normal dress inside their building on Mars while you see the red sky and Mars landscpae would be something human kind has to discover, it is absolutely sciense fiction but I don#t know if we will be here to see this.

If one of the biggest problems about interplanetary travel is radiation from cosmic rays, what's the best way to protect people? They talk about shielding, but that's just thick metal. What is it that protects us from cosmic rays here on Earth? Isn't it the planet's magnetic field? Shouldn't there then be a way to create a magnetic field around a ship to do the same thing?

No way would I ever apply for this. Radi, you make it sound like a trip to the park, Mars is a pretty hostile environment for a human to live in. Large amounts of cosmic radiation, thin atmosphere offering little protection from space debris, no running water. The reduced gravity would play havoc with your body, no thanks!

There is little magnetic activity at places, they can be there, it is not the most hostile but not that unhostile aswell. With plants they will be able to generate oxigen on the planet's surface with time.

Guest D N H

To generate oxygen in Mars might be a little more complicated. If plants could help in this process then it should be mile squares of tropical flora. However, oceans are the major providers of oxygen and without them life on earth would be now in a red alert situation.