Naughty snare drum

The white noise is good, but without the resonance, and not the release but decay. Attack, Sustain and Release set to 0. Then use compressor with alot of gain, play with EQ's. This way you can get similar effect.

Then if you'll want even better sound, you can create more layers with copy of your snare and just play with them, change decay and maybe attack on the envelopes, apply filters (maybe even add some resonance with fast decay to add more punch to it).

• 2 weeks later...

You could layer several sounds. A formula I've found works well for me is

a. chunky snare sample, with a nice blunt transient and loads of punch around the 200hz mark and mono

b. some kind of clap: dominant around the 800-2000hz region, I like adding a touch of some kind of stereo effect to widen the sound up

c. fizzy highpassed up high open hat, maybe with a little stereo reverb to open up the sound even further

Each sound fulfils a purpose: A contains the cojones of the sound whereas B gives it body and definition and opens the sound and c) brightens the sound up and expands the stereo field a little further.

Play with their levels and removing parts of their spectrums where necessary (eg no point having any mids on the fizzy layer when that's being covered by the other ones) and running all three through a compressor to mash them up more cohesively.

• 2 weeks later...

its filtered white noise (one of the filter might have an exponentially falling envelope) with a click at the beginning mixed together. Add compression and eq if needed. Some times mixing in some bit crushing and sample dividing could provide some more noisy timbres.

• 2 weeks later...

It's better to take a oneshot sample (im my preview VEC1 Snare 028) and dress it with several effects :)http://www.sendspace.com/filegroup/HluZEq225NybIy3ZvuHBdQ

The most important is compression. In the included mp3 file you can hear the difference between the first four snares with effects bypassed, and the second part, where all inserts are turned on.

Could you explain further, please? :)

you can apply bit crushing distortion (and other distortions such as saturation etc...) and balance the mix between the dry and wet signal to your liking to achieve a veriety of noises for your snare hit.