Goa's Second Golden Age?

Shpongled247

Well.. Master Lu Bu I could list 50 of my favourite different "neo" goa tracks and it wouldn't matter. Everyones perception is different, and everyones taste is different based on their own life experiences and infinite amounts of incalculable variables... and you are allowed to not like what I like, that is what makes this world such a beautiful place ;)

However to really over generalize, If you dont like this, or wouldn't do anything to be at something like this, then you probably don't like neo goa. Hehe :P

Annnnd this link probably covers some of the best stuff released in the past few years

https://soundcloud.com/anoebis/anoebis-with-a-watch-you-know

Happy trails my friend

Thanks for the share shpongled. Still feel it has a long way to go. Now I respect what you say about everyone being different.. Fact. Now you see only some of us can be champions. I know and understand a championship mentality so I can say this, but if you see an up and coming fighter who wants to make fighting his career then you throw him some breadcrumbs. You see he's good but just doesn't have what it takes. Now mind you training fighters is how I make my money to eat. So we take this average fighter, give him an honest chance and in the end he is not championship material. Someone who is determined does not settle for average. They will train harder until they have a better chance at the fight game. Ultimately they are no champion. In my gym there is no if we win we get ice cream if we lose we get ice cream. My name and my reputation is on my studs. In the end no one remembers second place and I will always demand more until we have achieved our standard of fighting.

Thanks for the share shpongled. Still feel it has a long way to go. Now I respect what you say about everyone being different.. Fact. Now you see only some of us can be champions. I know and understand a championship mentality so I can say this, but if you see an up and coming fighter who wants to make fighting his career then you throw him some breadcrumbs. You see he's good but just doesn't have what it takes. Now mind you training fighters is how I make my money to eat. So we take this average fighter, give him an honest chance and in the end he is not championship material. Someone who is determined does not settle for average. They will train harder until they have a better chance at the fight game. Ultimately they are no champion. In my gym there is no if we win we get ice cream if we lose we get ice cream. My name and my reputation is on my studs. In the end no one remembers second place and I will always demand more until we have achieved our standard of fighting.

You make it sound like Goa is a fight to the death. I think it's quite the opposite.

Ironsun you know what I like you. You know why you took the time to read it but you felt it. I know this because you responded with a statement I felt. I agree its the opposite but you know what this music is decaying. Your positive attitude is something everyone needs.. Lift em up. I ask you listen to this story.. Re read your comment and we will have connected.

The student approaches the master and says I found the truth. So the master says you have.. ? So the master asks the student to take a walk to a pond. The master then almost drowns the student then tells him when you seek the truth like you seek the air to breathe then come back to me. I seek goa like I seek air.. Where are you?

Master Lu Bu, I agree a lot to what you say. You are right, average is not enough and there is hardly any new stuff that meets the same quality as the old stuff, for me it is just different music. Good that there are some artists that try harder, like psychedelic Quest, but I think you should not give up hope entirely. I am very optimistic that when Astral releases new stuff it will meet our expectations. For me an example fo this is AP - One, a full on sounding track but with real goa elements, it is a full goa track in my opinion and there is another one. Back from Hell by Astral is really atrack that I level at the same quality of all oldschool releases so I have big hope they will produce something that will make us happy.

When I listen to most newschool goa it is usually nice, but I always have a heart pumping fast since there are those passages that I just don't understand. Some strange melodies out of sinc usually because the artists try hard to use as complex melodies as possible instead of just using normal complex melodies like earlier and just produce normal goa tracks like earlier. Buying analog synths is not the deal if artists do not produce what people really wish to hear. It isnot the synths but what artists do with them. Filling the songs with 10 000 sounds playing at the same time and producing complex out of sync melodies is not what real goa lovers want to hear in a goa song. they want a solid structure with good melodies and they do not want to hear the strange influence and sounds of newschool goa. I find the sounds of newschool goa strange and they sound a lot like computer generated music compared to oldschool goa which sounds like real analogue electronic music.

If I had the chance to work with others who wish to produce oldschool goa and the right gear we could produce songs that will not remind one second that they are neo goa trance, but be reall goa trance, from percussion, over melodies to the mixing and mastering, it will be everything the same.

Another funny thing which exists only by some goa trance listeners is that the old stuff sounds dated. Play any old goa track, even simple stuff like Ayahuasca - New Moon, a normal listener would not say it is a very old track so it is something that is made up by some goa people who want nea goa. The sound is allright and the complexity aswell, people can produce tracks like the ones that were produced in the 90s with better production quality now without being dated.

There is so much to write but Master Lu Bu has summarized it I think.

"My main objection is neo goa basically is one loop with a splash here and a sprinkle there. I understand evolution but the bottom line is neo goa is boring. I can listen to some oldschool tracks where I can hear a blatant improvement can be made. bottom line is old school still adds enough to make the track always evolving. Deeper in the patterns and more variation to keep your interest and the mind wandering. "

"As we all know there are multiple ways to view things. Now you read that and chose to call it trolling for obvious reasons. Then we have the other point of view of passion. Thats how i wrote that.. with pure passion. Now this you can understand. There are some of us who love goa. I do and it's all I listen to. When your listening to goa all of the time there comes a point when you have nothing new and nothing fresh to listen to. So you go back to the collection find something and give it a spin. In the end it's not enough.. We need more. So we have this neo goa which is supposed to fill the lack of goa for those of us in my spot. I know I'm not alone when I say this but I have higher expectations for neo goa. I don't sugarcoat things I speak my mind. It's no where near the level it should be. Go get an oldschool disc then listen to neo goa. You will obviously notice the difference. Fix it "

I don't know what you mean, but I know I am right. The claim by many goa trance fans that the old stuff sounds dated and needs evolvement only exsists among the goa scene. The tracks do not sound dated in matters of quality or musical complexity. Play any oldschool goa track to people who do not know about goa trance and ask them when it was produced, they will not say it was produced 1995. So the reasons some people give that neogoa must sound different are not the truth but a made up illution that is not the fact.

Im not a pro and have no hard numbers at hand, but I believe that during golden age of goa you could sell thousands of copies of VA's/albums/ep's while today you can barely move 500-1000 at best, no?

Either way, for me goa has never been neither overhyped neither underrated throughout the years Ive been listening to it.

I think the sells can be increased a lot of goa would be more popular, but for that to happen some artist of the newschool has to throw some astonishing release which gets memorized not only to goa lovers, who knows when that will happen. I think if one of the big artists would make the effort and throw an incredible release it will enhance the whole scene.

the main difference with old school goa

in the 90's, people would say "my fav tracks are mahadeva, dancing galaxy, LSD, shamanix, astral warrior, exit eternity..."

nowadays people will say "my favourites artists are filteria, mindsphere, e-mantra, ..."

Guest D N H

Yes, i understand what you mean (i think we mean the same), although imho it is the opposite. In the 90s it was impossible to choose only a few favorite artists.

Hey radi!! I remember you when I was on here years ago. I have to say your use of the English language now is perfect. Better than mine and I'm American!! Second thing I remember is how much you love ap. I'm with you here. I think the track humans will play for robots morning mix was good. Reminded me of a dancing galaxy styled track but definitely new. It had a polished sound but not over the top. Fine sounding is how I would put it. Some new elements but in the end it was ap. ultimately it's either going to be a new old style which is fine. Or it will be a chopped up version of the old but the energy will be so high settling is not a big deal however the novelty will wear off quickly. At this point I just want any info on the progress. If you know more please feel free to update me.

Thanks for the compliment man, but I am also impressed by your use of English. I like how you clearly describe how newschool goa is not really enough for you and you return to the old stuff. Aktually i think your use of English is better. Anyway I live in a country, where a language as important as English means nothing, altough I have as you say good English skills, I did not get a job for mroe than two years in idiot Germany, this summer I think I leave, but that is offtopic.

My main objection is neo goa basically is one loop with a splash here and a sprinkle there. I understand evolution but the bottom line is neo goa is boring. I can listen to some oldschool tracks where I can hear a blatant improvement can be made. bottom line is old school still adds enough to make the track always evolving. Deeper in the patterns and more variation to keep your interest and the mind wandering.

nothing more nothing less

• 3 years later...

I definitely think that this is the beginning of the second golden age!

Morphic Resonance, Imba, Proxeeus, Lunar Dawn, Ephedra, M-Run, Celestial Intelligence.... and so many more guys are on f%$*#^ fire! I cant wait to see what they have in store for us!

Ok, honest question towards the younger crowd of Goa. If you hear a track from M-Run (that you have never heard before) and a track from Celestial Intelligence or Imba (again, you've never heard before) can you actually tell the difference and guess to which artist it belongs? If you answer yes, then either I am too old for new music or maybe there is a chance for a Silver age ( :P ) or both.

I honestly think I would. But Im not gonna say for sure until someone tests me hahah

What you are trying to say is that modern goa doesnt have variety and artists personal touch in from of signature sounds, right? In most cases, its true. But neither does oldschool when you actually take it down from its high throne. I would be able to identify a few artists just by sound alone. Pleiadians, Hallucinogen, X-Dream, Astrals cheesy goa and MFG in that case and a few others. Im not pro of course.

I think you old ones are trying very hard to nit-pick, not realising that old school isnt really that better, its just that you grew up with it and simply think its best.

I love both old and new school. I listen to both everyday and think that some of it can compare in quality and creativity.

I just think that those guys I mentioned have a lot of talent and potential, and their art and skill will grow. If they dont make it happen, no one will and goa will die.

• Like 1

Ok, honest question towards the younger crowd of Goa. If you hear a track from M-Run (that you have never heard before) and a track from Celestial Intelligence or Imba (again, you've never heard before) can you actually tell the difference and guess to which artist it belongs? If you answer yes, then either I am too old for new music or maybe there is a chance for a Silver age ( :P ) or both.

I'm not that much younger I guess, but for me personally M-Run really is one of the few who got his own recognizable style, since the early days of his Mokk project. The only similar artists at some point are Adrenalin Run (his side-project with Stevo) and Project Shidartha. For me personally it's not that hard to recognize the difference.

i think u can EASILY notice a track from m-run or e-mantra from the rest ^^