What's happened to Saikosounds?

franki

I have many free downloads, but also some bought stuff, however I like buying mp3 files, i think when I buy files from online stores like Amazon or from discogs the artist gets money for that, do they?

However some labels charge a lot or offer low quality, I tried buying stuff from Astral projection's own store but was only offered 112 kb bittrate, so I bought from Amazon. I bought a few tracks on Twisted.co.uk but there it is really expensive, 2,50 for only one track, that is just incredible.

legit free???

besides ektoplazm where else is there?

if the artist doesn't get anything i not interested

ektoplazm is what i was talking about. i mean really...186 pages of free albums plus new stuff added all the time is more than enough to keep me in fresh beats.

I have many free downloads, but also some bought stuff, however I like buying mp3 files, i think when I buy files from online stores like Amazon or from discogs the artist gets money for that, do they?

However some labels charge a lot or offer low quality, I tried buying stuff from Astral projection's own store but was only offered 112 kb bittrate, so I bought from Amazon. I bought a few tracks on Twisted.co.uk but there it is really expensive, 2,50 for only one track, that is just incredible.

mp3 radi............ really

you waste your time and money on that low grade rubbish format?

no wonder you stuck in the dark ages with five artists!

Who the fuck buys mp3s? If I pay for it it must be lossless. No exceptions.

im not trying to start a fight here...but seriously...no one can tell the diff. between a high quality mp3 and lossless. you cant...you may think you can...but you cant. not only that but 99% of the equipment youll ever hear it on and 99% of the envirenments youll ever hear it in would prevent you from hearing a difference even if you could...which you cant.

of course neil young would have you belive otherwise...but hes trying to sell you something.

lossless files only real use is for 1:1 storage, so that you can compress it to whatever bitrate you want any time you want. its a complete waste of drive space if all youre doing it for is audio quality.

I can hear the difference. One point, You have to have good audio equipment to hear the difference clearly, comparing to to wavs, or audio CD properly mastered.

About year ago I was also in the oposition, saying to evryone that there's no difference, or the difference is unhearable. But these days I was listening music on weak eqipment.

I think You will hear the difference when You decompress mp3 to wav & put in in the cd player, not through a soundcard comparing wavs & mp3

It only occurred to me now to check this site for info on Saiko. Man, this is really sad! 8(( I almost cant believe it.

Saiko was great at having cds instock and even at times random old releases you would expect to find at Discogs. I remember becoming a Saiko believer when randomly Slide-Unstable came back instock. wtf?? mine! ;p

Since the beginning of this year I spent hundreds of dollars at Saiko on several orders and still have lists ;p My last purchases from them was 2nd week of March. Psyshop is fine too and they ship to me quick but... SAIKOSOUNDS, MAN! ;p they had cds other places didn't. BeatSpace has been reliable for instock releases when others are sold out. Their prices are a little higher.

I remembered when Saiko switched to having 4minute samples which cheered me up so much. It was in May 2005 I think. A trip I made during that time of the year is when I noticed it for releases that week.

a moment of silence for Saiko..........

...ok. now continue the oonst

Aren't they coming back at all? What happened with the unsold stocks? It is so sad really.

IMO, problem is that psychedelic trance is not selling well enough to keep a business based on it. I see people buying Goa CDs, and directly from the labels, and even there the numbers must not be that cheerful, I guess. Not buying thru a medium like Saikosounds. Beatport is still open because it sells other genres, psychedelic just a small part of it. It is sad, Saiko was one of the veins of the old scene, when MP3 was a geek term known by only a few. Signs of the times...

In a few years, I think artists will write goa/psy only for the passion of it. Mubali once said in a forum about artists not selling well that he had found a permanent solution for the problem: he found a real job.

I agree with procyon. The future is very simple:

You'll have a few labels releasing limited print cds, maybe 300 or so, for the real freaks, and the rest will become digital. Will it be enough to pay the artists? Hardly... Music-releases will become PURE promotional!

Once you had enough promotion, you'll be booked on parties (which still go strong) and THAT is their income then. Not the music itself, but the parties, because artists prices are NOT low at all to be booked these days...

I can hear the difference. One point, You have to have good audio equipment to hear the difference clearly, comparing to to wavs, or audio CD properly mastered.

About year ago I was also in the oposition, saying to evryone that there's no difference, or the difference is unhearable. But these days I was listening music on weak eqipment.

I think You will hear the difference when You decompress mp3 to wav & put in in the cd player, not through a soundcard comparing wavs & mp3

Blind test?

I for myself can say that I don't hear the difference between high-quality MP3s and WAV-files. Both are used for DJing and both sound (imho) equal on a club soundsystem. But there is a huge difference allready between MP3s with 320 or with 256 kBit/s, that's for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

I literally googled "saikosounds" today and THIS thread was the first thing that appeared! Isn't that news!

Saikosounds was huge I thought. I gave them thousands of dollars for hundreds of electronic albums between 1999 and 2009. You'd think they'd still be up since all of their business is online? That's curious and worth questioning IMO.

correct me if I'm wrong but, does SaikoSounds not have a facebook page anymore? I've found it before but cannot do so now.. hmm..

• 1 month later...

So how did they get rid of their stock?

They returned our stock to us. Not sure about other labels. Wonder what they did with the stock belonging to now defunct labels. It's sad they went bankrupt. Rob is such a nice and inspiring guy. Was always a pleasure to do business with them. They will be missed. Thanks for all, Rob & friends.

• Like 1

Wirikuta has been closed down for some time now. I think the unsold stuff from Saiko will maybe be sold by them around, i am sure they returned all they could and kept the stuff from out of business labels.

I am just sad I couldn't do one final order with some discs only they had in stock. But yes Rob was the man, friendly and dedicated.

• Like 1

^ that is one thing I love most about Saiko - their inventory was superb. many times being the only place I could find a cd. Also have the list that showed when they got new arrivals or re-stocks. Sometimes I would browse that long list and find something back I'd forgotten about. I think that is how I found Slide - Unstable years back ;p

• 2 months later...