DJs/Producer Flow & personality behind the decks?

Shpongled247

So after a while of going to parties etc i started to realise just how much depends on the mood or connection of the producer playing the music for me.

That came after seeing some of my favourite producers bored out of their minds, not into it at all. Then I saw Hux Flux recently, never was a favourite but he had such awesome, playful, psychedelic energy behind the decks, that it is up their with my best gigs.

Anyway, I know it's all about the music, or is it? And what are some of the best/most into it guys u have seen?

Well we'd all like to think it's all about the music, but no. Of course the energy from the guy behind the decks/gear transfers into the audience. Some of the recent guys I've seen who's really into it are Cosmosis, Prometheus, Aavepyörä and Eat Static. Others whom I randomly remember are Asura and OOOD. And of course Raja Ram just has to be mentioned :D Also, our (Finland's) own lovely DJing couple Miazu & Polly are quite the burst of energy on stage.

Of course, some (especially) DJs need more concentration to play a good set, but still you can see if the energy is there or not.

I myself am trying to balance between deep concentration and almost dancing like a lunatic on stage :D at least when playing goa. The chillout is a bit different but nevertheless I don't keep myself hunched behind my laptop all the time. Gotta see how the audience reacts.

And of course Raja Ram just has to be mentioned :D

Indeed, I was going to mention him as soon as I saw the OP. Laughing Buddha deserves a mention too. I find that a good DJ's enthusiasm can be really contagious.

I have not seem him live but from what I've seen on videos Max from Etnica seems to be very connected to the music and transmits this energy to the public.

The guy really enjoys his presentations

Agree, didn't saw it but Max from Etnica is true gem haha

Eskimo is great too:

But Agneton is fucking crazy hahaha and i saw him live 3 times last year! We actually played b2b set on Nova's Incident XI fest in Belgium and he danced like crazy as always and me just staring at people wtf :lol:

When you look his moves you don't need to hear music, if you don't see him you will miss much!

• 4 weeks later...

Well we'd all like to think it's all about the music, but no. Of course the energy from the guy behind the decks/gear transfers into the audience. Some of the recent guys I've seen who's really into it are Cosmosis, Prometheus, Aavepyörä and Eat Static. Others whom I randomly remember are Asura and OOOD. And of course Raja Ram just has to be mentioned :D Also, our (Finland's) own lovely DJing couple Miazu & Polly are quite the burst of energy on stage.

Of course, some (especially) DJs need more concentration to play a good set, but still you can see if the energy is there or not.

I myself am trying to balance between deep concentration and almost dancing like a lunatic on stage :D at least when playing goa. The chillout is a bit different but nevertheless I don't keep myself hunched behind my laptop all the time. Gotta see how the audience reacts.

It really depends... My personal once in a livetime experience was Crossing Mind Live about a year ago. His music really blew me away but I have to say I don't remember what he was doing on stage (if he was doing anything special besides making music). I also couldn't care less since my head was nearly imploding because of his great music. After him there was Cosmosis live and whatever you think about his music (I personally dig it a lot) now that guy's a showman. I agree that having a certain charsima and being a person who hogs the spotlight really helps a live gig. But even like that I was still more touched and blown away by Crossing Mind than Cosmosis. Simply because the music was over the top.

It's a bit similar with DJs. Imho the important part of adding your personality to your set is not the acting on stage (even if you can give something of you to your audience with it) but your track selection. Sure you can play the top 40 tunes and some well known dancefloor bombs and do the monkey dance on stage but imho a good DJ is able to somewhat read the audience and give them something special (with creating a certain mood or whatever). Even when he or she is not doing much more than just the mixing.

Maybe my dancing/jamming on stage is basically because I like to play sets that I'd like to hear myself on the dancefloor, not because I'd seek attention, or because I'd have any urge to be a showman (actually, most of the time I plain and simply HATE being on stage, and lately it seems I suffer from more and more stage fright...). If someone catches on to that energy, good. But I know that many people go into themselves on the dancefloor (I do that too) so I'm not deliberately asking for reactions to what I do.

I still need to work on my skills in reading the audience though...

I personally think it's awesome if a DJ plays a set that makes him dance his own ass off too. That's also adding some of your personality to it. Sure, maybe the crowd has a different taste but I personaly like to see that a DJ really digs the musig he plays and is having fun during his gig.

I think it helps when the dj/artist is going mad on stage. it helps me feel the energy if I catch a glimpse of them. when the music is good anyways, i'm flailing around too much to gape in awe at them ;p I've seen Artifakt get a little crazy. Jay from Rastaliens/Southwild gets down at times but even just seeing him motion his arms to the music at the right times was great too ;p A dj buddy of mine Wild Wes likes to groove on stage and makes me happy haha!

Could you explain why? Last and first time I saw him he just waved around with his arms a few times, smoked and went on and off the stage.

When did you see him play? He was in Helsinki last march and he seemed quite into it when playing. Maybe I just didn't notice him smoking and going on and off the stage...