Recommendable psytrance from 2011 to now

Laserflip

Hi guys,

it's been a long time since I've listend to some psytrance and I am a bit out of touch with todays releases. Can you recommend me anything from 2011 to now?

Preferably no neo goa trance, typicall prog, dark or full on, because that was the reason why I moved to other genres. It doesn't have to sound "all new" but it shouldn't be formulaic either.

tracks like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyX7npGb4Qk

I know this track isn't revolutionary but it's not as categorisable as many others these days.

Hope you can help me out (-:

Nerso - Exploration of infinity : an absolute must in progressive.

Crossing Mind - The Inner Shift : clearly not day to day goatrance.

Etnica - Live in Athens 96: superb one

You may check also Lyctum, Killerwatts, Mindsphere, 3.14, and the Ultimae catalogue.

Zyce - Alignment you might like, I haven't checked it properly...

Although it's kinda fullon but it's different like Lyctum, Sideform etc...

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/tes/tes1cd018.html

Never heard about Nerso until now, will check this...

Preferably no neo goa trance, typical prog, dark or full on, because that was the reason why I moved to other genres. It doesn't have to sound "all new" but it shouldn't be formulaic either.

Then again, euhm :unsure: , there are some suomi, forest experts on this forum,

Maybe they can help you out...

But not formulaic? You are still looking for trance? Or more experimental?

Amygdala - Modus Operandi. Starts with some meh dubstep but picks up from track 3.

Musik Magier - Moved. Progressive-ish but not your usual cup of tea.

Aavepyörä - Katso kukkaa. This just is something else. Nothing quite like AVP out there.

PortaMento - The Portal. Not your usual goa trance.

VA - Spectral Circuitry. Ektoplazm's lates VA. Some nice stuff in there IIRC.

Lilith - Love Is All. If you can find it anywhere.

Juno Reactor - Inside The Reactor. Juno Reactor remixed. Good stuff.

Kino Oko - Descending Out Into The Distance. Rather unclassifiable.

If you're a bit on the colder, darker side of Psy, then you should try Chaotic Synthetics.

It's pure Sci-Fi. But don't be too soft for that, because on this planet, you will die. ;)

Something more difficult to grasp, a mixture between D'n'B, Psy and whatever, one of my favorites: Cybernetika. Sci-Fi

You should check out his youtube channel. The guy's madly talented

http://www.youtube.com/user/mechanophobia

• 1 month later...

Talpa maybe?

It leans toward fullon and/or dark, but is melodic and awesome. I'm speaking of "The Path", which is the only one I'm familiar with.

Talpa's first album - The Art of Being Non - sounds A LOT like Infected Mushroom - when they were still good atleast ;p but that came out 9-ish years ago. I've no idea what they are like now...

ooo! there is something about this I like. smart psytrance. not going too crazy but it waits until showing you its magic.

If you're a bit on the colder, darker side of Psy, then you should try Chaotic Synthetics.

It's pure Sci-Fi. But don't be too soft for that, because on this planet, you will die. ;)

Something more difficult to grasp, a mixture between D'n'B, Psy and whatever, one of my favorites: Cybernetika. Sci-Fi

You should check out his youtube channel. The guy's madly talented

http://www.youtube.com/user/mechanophobia

WOW! Im now in-love with Chaos Synthetics! Thanks for that and I will purchase their music. that first one you shared especially - to me sounded like taking a handful of darkpsy, the Prodigal Sun albums (AWESOME!) and a pinch of goa, throwing it into a synth-blender 8))

I've also been a fan of Cybernetika for years and we used to chat. He is on these boards too. Coincidence seeing your recommendation since I left a comment on his YT channel 3 weeks ago when I discovered it.

for the thread starter.. I discovered some good full-on earlier in the year. please give it a shot! I say it's back to its roots with melodies and energy. good craftsmanship and sound to the tracks. somewhere full-on started to get boring when everyone was doing it. It become psytrance for dummies where as long as there was a bassline and "psy" sounds you did it, yay! artists didnt distinguish themselves. WELL - I think Nemesis is doing a fine job. tracks arent on youtube so try these samples. I like 'Wormhole' the most. support this guy and hope to see more by 'em.

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/Downloads/ddc/ddc1dw045.html

also, if anyone can post where to purchase the music from these artists, please do so. Im now trying to dig around and find some and cant. I will pursue ;p

Thanky you guys for your recommendations. Maybe I just have to get into it again to enjoy it. But it really looks like there's not much going on in the scene. For sure there are some talents like Cybernetika but the majority of artists are narrowing down themselfs on a specific sub-genre. I dont mind if there are certain keystones like the speed or the 4/4 beat that aren't changed but the music lost what I liked most about it in the beginning. And I'm not one of those oldschool goa heads that only likes music form the 90's. I feel like from 2008 on there wasn't any notable development in the genre. The funny thing is that I don't mind such things when it comes to House for instance but when I listen to psy music I'm turned off when I hear the same synth in every second track. You can't force something to be psychedelic by using the same sounds that have worked so far or by just scattering them over a fat bassline.

Maybe I'm too picky but I think it's undeniable. The music is trapped by its formulas. Is it possible that there is no way to make groundbreaking psytrance while still being recognised as such?

I'm curious for your inputs to this topic ;)

You can't force something to be psychedelic by using the same sounds that have worked so far or by just scattering them over a fat bassline.

The music is trapped by its formulas. Is it possible that there is no way to make groundbreaking psytrance while still being recognised as such?

I'm curious for your inputs to this topic ;)

that first sentence, bravo! Thats exactly how I havent been able to get my thoughts out before. All genres of the psychedelic have been suffering from it. With relation to the next sentence in the quote, I think YES. but it still is up to the artists to define their sound which also defines it for us. To where I can pick up and play the cd, or be at a party and know who Im hearing. Not sure about groundbreaking. Im always promoting this song but if artists tried something similar to Manmademan's BRILLIANT 'Deliverance' track - sure! but also dabble in some over your head ambient chillout music. then again, this all takes time and such albums may never come out - haha!

Perhaps you should check out the most recent KDD album:

I have liked some Kindzadza in the past but I really find it hard to listen to that super random glitchy twitchy music some dark artists go for. its not like Im hearing a horrible popmusic and I crawl onto the floor foaming at the mouth, I can listen to it but it is SO far from catching my interest. the tracks can be played back to back and you would never know they changed. completely random.