samples in psytrance, who are the usual suspects

technosomy

it's funny, over the years listening to thousands of tracks, and the same samples often keep coming up.

what are the most used, best, worst, or just damn annoying.

as they can often make or ruin a track.

for me, i so often hear stuff from the matrix, which is cool, but been done to the death, especially, the dream, and pill lines, so many have done it.

but i guess, timing and the use of it is integral.

drug themes, especially anything from fear and loathing, always rocks.

as well as mckenna! never get tired of terrence on a tangent

mruns album is interesting, has a theme all through it, am undecided whether i like it or don't

the voice is annoying, and often the timing isn't the best, but do like albums that have themes, the pinnacle being 1200 mics debut, that is the best for me.

so, what you reckon?

freaks, have your say!

I quite like tracks that use samples but as you say, timing and use is essential.

The Matrix has been done to death now but there must be plenty of other sci-fi movies to grab pieces from.

Science documentaries are quite good for samples, you know, people talking about black holes and stuff.

Also Waking Life.

I agree that The Matrix is badly overused. It's not like there aren't enough other sci-fi movies to sample, so there's no excuse really.

Terence McKenna, Tim Leary, Alan Watts are hevily used, usually in quite unsurprising ways. Blatantly drug themed samples usually just annoy me, as well as stuff from The Matrix and Fear And Loathing (with the exception of 1300 Mics - Mescaline). Yes I know, this is a subculture closely related to drugs, but still, no need to rub it in my face. Be creative, surprising. Make me think, make me smile. Find samples that have not been used a million times before.

imho it depends what you do with the samples. Just plain cuts out of a movie with some delay on top usually are not surprising at all, no mater what he is talking about^^ It gets especially boring if you even already know the 'lyrics' inside out... :D

depends what you make out of.. difficult to explain.. e.g. listen to the voice sample on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=picypiOKF0g

and how it "flows" into the track. The sample itself isn't anything special, but how it integrates on the track is - there are even some places at the begging where variants/cut of it almost take the role of the lead sound, without really sounding like a vocal trance track =)

Think i've heard a fair few from the film Dune, which I quite like because it must be one of the greatest science fiction novels ever written. I'd like to know where Colorbox got the sample on Grey Spook. Frankly I do find explicit drug samples very jarring and childish, it really turns me off a tune, and creates a stereotype of Goa trance listeners that isn't always applicable.

Are there many usual suspect?

Besides Terrence I don't know any...

I know movies on the top of my head,
some mentioned above like indeed matrix, fear and loathing, the cube, p (forgot the track)i, the lion king, equilibrium, the devils advocate and many more probably...

That documentary called "Getting high the history off lsd" has been used several times IIRC. Digicult used the Bart simpson tablet sample...