Read this if you find yourself stuck in the mobile skin.

Rotwang

There's a bug in the forum software (beyond our control) that means that if you accidentally start using the IP.Board Mobile skin on your desktop, the Change Theme button doesn't work and you can't change back to the desktop skin. Here's how you can fix it:

Click on the logo with four squares at the top-right of the page. Right-click the 'Sign Out [your username]' button and select your browser's equivalent of 'Copy Link Location'. Paste it somewhere. It should end with:

k=somelonghexadecimalnumber
Copy the long hexadecimal number and paste it over the appropriate part of the following address:
http://www.psynews.org/forums/index.php?&k=somelonghexadecimalnumber&settingNewSkin=1
Then go to the address.

If that doesn't work then PM an Admin (Insejn, RTP, Penzoline or me) and tell them, and they'll be able to change the theme for you.

• 2 months later...

Thanks a lot. This bug happens when I tried to sign in with my iPhone. Suddenly, my computer switched it to the Mobile view. I am thinking this is because the sign in is attached to the "mobile" settings. Have you considered the site auto detecting the browser and automatically setting the views? Or, you can fix the "change theme" button by running a javascript code that will assign that hex number you mentioned above into a link. Im no website creator, so I have no clue, lol.

Anyway, THANK YOU for posting this. It fixed me issue nicely and I can go back to sending messages properly and creating review threads using the full text editor. ^^

Thanks a lot. This bug happens when I tried to sign in with my iPhone. Suddenly, my computer switched it to the Mobile view. I am thinking this is because the sign in is attached to the "mobile" settings. Have you considered the site auto detecting the browser and automatically setting the views?

That should be what happens. When I browse the forum on a mobile device it automatically uses the mobile skin, but that doesn't affect what happens on my desktop. What OS/browser are you using on your computer?

Or, you can fix the "change theme" button by running a javascript code that will assign that hex number you mentioned above into a link. Im no website creator, so I have no clue, lol.

Neither are any of us, sadly. We just use the IPB software, and its creators keep buggering it up.

I could be mistaken, but the mobile site only existed on my desktop when I logged into my phone. I could have accidently clicked the change skin button.

Im using the newest version of Safari on my Mac. Does your template allow you to manually plug in codes?

Does your template allow you to manually plug in codes?

Well, practically it should allow that.

At least it allows to change the code that is already there -- every part of the skin can be changed that way and, I guess, also the workings behind the "change theme" thing.

So it could be made real -- in theory.

Obviously, it's asked for to put a link with that above syntax in place somewhere into the mobile skin so that people can switch back, right?

The tricky part is obviously to get that "somelonghexadecimalnumber" thing right. And I have no idea yet how to make this...

Im a lazy coder, especially because I started out decompiling code and putting it back together again... so this means I usually use templates. Lol, I'm no programmer. ;)

I would say this... find the code that tells us what the user number is... and combine it with the change theme button. All we are doing is plugging in that number, right? Take a look at all the code and analyze the bits that say "hey guys, here is a user, and here is there number".

• 7 months later...

It now seems to be possible to change back to the default skin the normal way. Also, it now seems to be possible to use the IP.Board or Deviant3.2.3 skins on a mobile device, which it wasn't last time I tried. Please let us know if you still have problems with either of the above issues.

• 1 year later...

Not sure if this is related, but quite often when I am trying to view the board from my phone, it tells me that I don't have permission to view the board.

I tried logging out to see if it was an account thing, but I can't even do that.

I just can't access the board at all.

Any thoughts?

Has this happened to others?

I'm using an Android phone, non-rooted, and it tends to only be when using the mobile network, wifi seems fine.

I'm afraid I haven't the foggiest, I'll try bringing it to RTP's attention. Next time it happens could you copy the URL and PM it to me? It might contain clues.