Music archive in lossless format

Hallusinaatio

I ditched all my CDs years ago. My collection is properly tagged and filed FLACs plus a sprawling bunch of style-specific crates filled with any single tracks I might want to use while mixing. I bounce MP3 copies of anything I feel like listening to on my phone and then delete that stuff at will since I have a master FLAC copy and multiply redundant backups (external HDs plus Backblaze, a cloud backup service I heartily recommend).

If you handed me a CD today I wouldn't even have any way to listen to it. Neither of my laptops have CD drives. One never came with one, the other was ejected in favour of an extra HD caddy and now holds a terabyte of extremely well-sorted FLAC awesomeness... pretty close to every single Goa trance song I might ever want to play or listen to.

I still buy CD's, then I immediately rip them to WAV (for listening to from the computer) and MP3 (for the iPod). I stream my music from a network drive. I don't bother backing up the music that came from CD's. If the drive crashed and it was lost, I could just re-rip from the CD. I do of course back up the downloaded music.

In the car I still listen to CD's. In fact, I listen to them in an old Discman connected to my car's cassette player through a cassette adapter. Super high-tech! :D

I still buy CDs whenever possible and rip them to FLAC with EAC. I have backups of my entire collection on an external HD and of course also my DJing laptop. That should save me from re-ripping my entire collection if something goes boom. I also have my Ektoplazm/Bandcamp/etcetera download archives backed up on another external, just to make sure :)

And no, I couldn't just get rid of my CD collection, it's taken enough time, money and sanity. And besides, I like having booklets to flip through instead of just a bunch of .jpg files.

• 5 months later...

backing up my entire collection, that would be awesome, but when you are around thousands items it starts t get difficult, i do have 1tb of "classics" ripped in flac for backup purpose but that is far from being my whole collection. I wish I had 6 months of time to rip and sort it all, also, i would probably need a 4tb drive (and one for backup). My big concern before doing something like this is: what if both drive dies (electric shocks, a magnet, a storm)? and furthermore, what if they are bought now and then in 4 years they become non-working?

Ideally I would want to have a cloud of 10 terabyte that is always online and backed up on a professional server, but to have that kind of data backup, I guess i'd have to pay a fortune per year. anyone has any idea on how much is online backup?

As long as you have at least two copies, the likelihood of both failing at once is pretty low (but still possible). It would also be a good idea to plug in the backup drive(s) every once in a while to make sure they are still accessible, and plan to replace them when the warranty ends even if they still work. For physical protection, some people put one drive in a safe.

If you wanted to spend the money you could get something with RAID 5 capability, which allows (single) drive failure without data loss. Of course in this, if you're especially paranoid about data loss, it's still recommended to have two units.

Online/cloud storage in the range of TB is cost prohibitive currently.

• 3 weeks later...

If the drive crashed and it was lost, I could just re-rip from the CD. I do of course back up the downloaded music.

Wouldn't that take a whole lot of time to do again? I wouldn't be at ease while taking that risk... :) Also, cds have a limited lifespan, so I'm backing them up for the future. Some of my early '90s cds are already starting to play more vague than they used to.

I wish I had 6 months of time to rip and sort it all, also, i would probably need a 4tb drive (and one for backup). My big concern before doing something like this is: what if both drive dies (electric shocks, a magnet, a storm)? and furthermore, what if they are bought now and then in 4 years they become non-working?

This is how I do it and is one of the safest ways:

- All the files I have (also ripped cd's) until 2013 are on 3 external HD's: 2 in my own house (I always connect one at the time to transfer from my internal, so that makes sure it won't all go down from electrical problems) and 1 offsite (at my gf's house).

- All the files that I collect since 2013 are on 3 external HD's: same as above. This way I don't ever have to connect my other 3 HD's again, so that cancels out electrical problems, shocks etc.

But basically if you use just use one series of external HD's (2 in your own house and 1 offsite) you should be very safe! About waranty and failures: A HD is one of the least certain electrical devices. The series within the same brand can have different quality. So always buy different brands and series of HD's to make sure. And even identical HD's can crash the first day, or can last +6 years long.

Since ripping takes a lot of time, I installed my old pc in my room only for ripping cds... maybe a tip? :)

Yes, ripping a bunch of CD's would take time, but that's not really a 'risk', just an annoyance. Plus, I have 20 year old CD's that still play fine, so I'm not worried about that so much.

The lifespan of original cd's (not CDR) can very between 25 - 100 yrs. So I'm going to back up everything on HD's so I can still dance to trance when I'm 80, and also for the sake of our kids in the future! :P

The lifespan of original cd's (not CDR) can very between 25 - 100 yrs. So I'm going to back up everything on HD's so I can still dance to trance when I'm 80, and also for the sake of our kids in the future! :P

But than you should do it vice versa as a HD is way more fragile than a CD.. mean it loses "magnetic power" (don't know the proper English word :P) over time by design, while the pits and lands on a cd don't go away unless you physically destroy it.

So backing-up CDs on HD's is not really backing-up, as this usually means that you transfer data from unsecure to robust medium, not vice versa ;P

But than you should do it vice versa as a HD is way more fragile than a CD.. mean it loses "magnetic power" (don't know the proper English word :P) over time by design, while the pits and lands on a cd don't go away unless you physically destroy it.

So backing-up CDs on HD's is not really backing-up, as this usually means that you transfer data from unsecure to robust medium, not vice versa ;P

Wow, I didn't know HD's lose magnetic power! I only figured I would have to transfer all the data every 4-5 years onto new HD's so I can prevent loss due to crashes. Damn, there goes my superplan! Does anyone know how fast this magnetic loss can go? And are SSD's safer as in more durable?

while the pits and lands on a cd don't go away unless you physically destroy it.

That's not true. Cd's have a limited lifespan due to oxidation and cd rot. The lifespan of cd's (not cdr) is about 30 - 50 years. I've also read once some cds can go to 100 years.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/cds-truth-cddvd-longevity-mold-rot/

Damn, what would be the safest way to store your data?

I have a 3TB really cheap and awful Hitachi HDD with customized backgrounds that hosts all my lossless nerdy obsessions. It's a really fun hard drive to mess around with, because I formatted it to work with PC, MAC, and yes even LINUX (oooo fancy). I am trying to SOMEHOW make it automatically use the album artwork as the folder background, but this has proven to be a much nerdier challenge than expected lol.

That's not true. Cd's have a limited lifespan due to oxidation and cd rot. The lifespan of cd's (not cdr) is about 30 - 50 years. I've also read once some cds can go to 100 years.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/cds-truth-cddvd-longevity-mold-rot/

hm.. proably printing out the bits in a human readable form and archive it at some very safe place :D so ppl in 400 years, on their spaceships, can play your sound while surfing through the galaxy by entering the sample values on the bord computer.. as they won't have any CD player anymore.. and noboby on that ship ever heart about SATA.. it's some food from andromeda galaxy isn't it? xD

What I want to say with it: lifetime of the medium is not that important if you want ot keep your data for a long time. Try to restore a 15 year old tape backup disc... wish you good look with finding that piece of hardware that can read your tape on ebay.. =) or your sound is gone even if the data on the tape is still ok

Once I visited a national archiving centre, where their job is to store all sorts of information "forever". Interestingly, for all print-like material the solution was microfilming. Even digital newspapers were micro-printed into physical pages. Stored in a stable climate (like underground vaults), they may have a lifespan of 1000+ years. Furthermore, it's a fully analogue micro-sized reproduction so there's no doubt whatsoever how to read it. Just zoom in and you've got it.

You could also use some kind of simple encoding to store audio data in print. However, I think they just used large HD arrays as a temporary solution for audio. It requires maintenance but it also means that the storage is always "alive" so people are actively monitoring that it can be read somehow. The format is wav as it's the most straightforward to interpret.

Another point I learnt is that when they have piles of audio in different formats to digitise, cassettes have the highest priority because they'll degrade over time, no matter what. CDs may be the next due to rotting. Vinyl is almost "forever" as no micro-scale process is going to eat the groove if stored properly. The only major risk is from careless handling or large scale accidents. They're not hurrying with those.

It's also damn difficult to get professional quality cassette decks these days. I think they were using a discontinued model with a large yet limited stash of spare parts...