Zirrex - Lost in time (Hado records, reissue)

Manuser

Posted Image

I'm surprised i didn't see this album in the review section, either in year 2000 or 2010.

Great album, really worth the money!!

CD1 and 2 are same style, maximal hyper melodic goa, eastern melodies... CD3 takes a darker direction... i dig the first two CDs more, of course listening to the 3 discs in a row would be a bit too much.

Here is the full tracklist (discogs), special mention for tracks "zirrex" (CD1), "voyage" (CD2), "cosmic illusion" (CD3):

Posted Image

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Reviewing the first two CDs (the original album) is unnecessary. This is the best goa there is. :D I might not be listening to goa anymore if this album didn't pull me back into it when it was released.

You like memorable and iconic melodies, ecstasic moments and acid sounds in general? This album is for you. Enough said.

I won't even try to pick a favorite.

If you don't know this album: GET IT!!! :)

Trivia: there's a little "bug" in Power Bass (at 3:19) where it sounds like a beat skips. Pretty bad timing because it's on a switch of scenes. According to the man himself, it was a problem with the DAT he recovered it from (which this album practically is - a DAT recovery). He posted a "fixed version" in his forum once, but I don't have it anymore and the forum is gone.

CD3 is indeed a special kind of thing.

Cosmic Illusion and Energy are probably just not on the first CDs because they didn't fit anymore. The style is the same and it's pure ecstasy. When people ask me what goa trance sounds like, I show them Cosmic Illusion. The track Energy is a secret acid weapon.

The following are different, very strange, dark, but very deep. More for listening, less for dancing.

Saratoga Trip has a very dark feel to it and is very noisy with considerably less melody work. I'd label it progressive forest goa. I don't know a lot of music like this, probably because it usually isn't my genre. It's a very trippy track, though, and I like it.

Simple Machine sounds like a concept track. It has a dark, spooky, cyberpunk feel to it. Again, not a lot of melody work, but a purely psychedelic trip. Sounds like a mix of psytrance and industrial somewhat. This track contains a scene that is like nothing I've ever heard, a sudden break with a most beautiful guitar run, going into an epic (!!!) climax and outro. It's like Zirrex shows you what's possible with music, you wouldn't think it was. This track is a piece of art.

Red Dragon is an interlude, not more. It's practically a simple tribal drum solo with some mysterious layers on it. Never paid a lot of attention to it, I have to admit. Not that it draws much. :D

DeCompression is hard to describe. Again a very mysterious and dark theme to it. The way too happy melody that introduces the second half could be cynicism, I don't know. Very interesting track, not really outstanding, but still worth the time and memorable.

LSDance I consider the weakest track of CD3. But even that one comes with a memorable melody and quite some depth. The dark-ish feel is kinda gone, the track actually gives you that feeling "OK, the album is over soon", almost like a lack of creativity - but I'd never accuse Zirrex of that (just listen to his Ritual Dance album...). Maybe there's a message in here and I don't get it.

It is funny you review this album now, just 2 days ago I was listening to it and was wondering why there is not much talk about Zirrex here and why so few reviews. He is one of those underrated artists in the goa trance scene.

CD3 has grown on me.

It is funny you review this album now, just 2 days ago I was listening to it and was wondering why there is not much talk about Zirrex here and why so few reviews. He is one of those underrated artists in the goa trance scene.

CD3 has grown on me.

Hehe, I really just joined the forum yesterday and wondered how people thought of Zirrex here. To my surprise, barely any buzz at all. Or as you put it, underrated (with emphasis)!

CD3 has grown on me.

+1

I was listening to the album a few days ago. Nice to see someone reviewing it. "Very little buzz" for sure. May be the non availability of the CD be a reason?

Edit: Reissue is in stock everywhere! Get it guys.

I was thinking about the original release.

Weird...I was just considering adding this to my latest order last weekend. Eventually I didn't. The samples just didn't sound right this time either. Maybe I'll try streaming a bit more at some point. That's really slow growth if it ever happens...

Simple Machine [...] a sudden break with a most beautiful guitar run, going into an epic (!!!) climax and outro. It's like Zirrex shows you what's possible with music, you wouldn't think it was. This track is a piece of art.

Haha, total opposite for me, I didn't like that break and guitar riff at all, it killed the vibe so much, even if the end of the track is fine. I thought there was a problem with the track or my computer.

Did you like the end of Cosmic illusion ? I love the track but the end seems really abrupt.

Haha, total opposite for me, I didn't like that break and guitar riff at all, it killed the vibe so much, even if the end of the track is fine. I thought there was a problem with the track or my computer.

Did you like the end of Cosmic illusion ? I love the track but the end seems really abrupt.

I think killing the vibe is the point of that spot, as awkward as that sounds. :D The spot kills everything with that second of silence, and it comes pretty unexpected. I can see your point, it's very abrupt, but to me it's genius and the "what the f*** just happened!?" moment is part of the experience.

Now that you say it, the end of Cosmic Illusion is actually comparable! It's a pretty strange ending, but I think I can see what he was up to there. Eight minutes into the track, after a STORM of a climax, he builds up another killer melody. After that, many ways how he could have ended it. I guess a simple builddown just wasn't good enough for him, so he picked the odd way out with those dissonant variations of the melody, adding drama and tension just before the rather abrupt end. Well, I love it. :lol:

Seems like it's a matter of taste. :) I also produce music, and I've been into similar situations where I could have done this or that for a smooth transition, but then go all out for the unlikeliest of possibilities. Some people like it, some don't. That's music. ;)

• 10 months later...

One of the best goa trance albums with a perfect blend of acid and melody! Quality and creativeness is constant!

1. CD is the strongest IMO; my favorite being "Psycho Goblins", "X-Indiane" and "Zirrex". Hell all tracks are 10/10, alto the vocals in Tandarinda are really freaking annoying tho! This CD alone is worth the price!

From 2. and 3. cds, I like "Galaxy" and "Saratoga Trips" the most. The idea is the same as in the first cd but it doesnt get old. I listened to all 3 cd's at once when I bought the album and it was a wonderful and throughout interesting experience.

It is a pity that this album isnt well known because it definitely deserves to be! For me this release is even stronger than I.F.O. or Trust In Trance for an instance.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED for all goa trance lovers! 9.5/10

• 5 years later...

I don't find myself around these parts much any longer, but I will lurk from time to time. I decided to throw this on and give it a listen all the way through. 3 Cds is quite the endeavor and it certainly can get taxing. As most have said the first two CDs are some of the most mind-blowing, melodic, high intensity and epic goa trance you will hear. Point blank. Just track after track of powerful bliss with no filler to be found. This alone is worth the price.

The third disc mixes psytrance and goa and isn't my favorite. The variety is a plus and the psytrance isn't bad, but when you compare it to the music found on the first two discs it's more of a throw in. That said, it's still pretty good and I would love to hear what a dark ambient album from this artist would sound like.

• Like 1