Goa/Psy for a mainstream crowd

Trunksan

I'm organising a NYE party at my place and there will be all kinds of people invited, from family to my junky friends, so I want to make music selection the will be digestable, by all kinds of crowds.... If it was my choice, I'd play hadrcore metal or Goa all night, but I'm trying to have everyone have a great night.... so what kind of artists would you play for such a crowd? Bare in mind that they most of them listen to electronica and are open to all kinds of music, so they are quite receptive ppl.

High BPM is definetly a NO NO and there will be a lot of club trance not just Goa/PSY so throw some club trance anthems/artists as well that could go well with Psy.

My choices are BPC, old KoxBox, most of the proggy stuff, Electric Universe, some MWNN, maybe early etnica, Khetzal, Jaia, may some CHI-AD

I'd like to avoid the typical Israeli sound MFG, Astral, Shiva Shidapu, it has a bad reputation here as Tsiftenteli trance.

So.. throw me some reccomendations.. old or new!!

Thanks!!!

I've gotten more people into Shpongle (to at least some degree) than any psytrance. Some of it is pretty dance-able too.

I think Jaia is a good choice. They have some some some very progressive sounding stuff.

High BPM is definetly a NO NO and there will be a lot of club trance not just Goa/PSY so throw some club trance anthems/artists as well that could go well with Psy.

So.. throw me some reccomendations.. old or new!!

If you're looking for more "normal" trance check out this thread: http://www.psynews.o...-normal-trance/

My experience is that Classical Mushroom (Infected Mushroom) always works well on a party with non-psy trance lovers. Surprisingly I also had good reactions on Alienapia. (Inner Poison on Goapocalipsis)

I would avoid eastern orientated music like Khetzal, non-psy trance lovers tend to classify it as cheesy more easily.

What about Aavepyora? Et In Arcadia Ego, Vapausvoima, Auringon Kanssa...

I'd like to avoid the typical Israeli sound MFG, Astral, Shiva Shidapu, it has a bad reputation here as Tsiftenteli trance.

It wasn't the Astral & MFG sound that had the Tsiftetelic reputation, it was nitzhonot and a bit of nitzhogoa.

(Today we have Orientalic Trance, a side of neogoa!)

I once, before many years, played at a friend's party for about 25 mins and most of the people gone for a walk around, and the police came also!

No, just play easy stuff. Some progressive trance and melodic House, and maybe some Ultimae uptempo ethnic flavored.

at the place where i lived before there were partys with different electronic music styles and the music which caught the people most was psytrance. of course there were always openminded people and i know that most of them didn't really listened to psychedelic music at home. but intense psytrance with deep rollin basslines, easy accesible melodies and catchy breaks worked best there, a lot better than drumnbass, house, lousy prog or whatever. i believe one of the main reasons for that is that music with about 145 bpm is a perfect tempo, even for non-psy-lers. so, if you have openminded people who are used to house and electro (or which ever electronics) i wouldn't play proggy music. instead give them a nice driving psy-experience with well-dosed melodies - i'm quite sure that you can get your people dancing with Atma, Protoculture, Tikal, U-Recken, Sirion, S-Range, Infected Mushroom, Cosmosis, Chromosome, Mr. Peculiar, Silicon Sound, Talpa

but whatever you play - HAVE LOTS OF FUN !!!

Indeed progressive is the best approachable from all I guess,

it depends on how late it is,

to start the evening,

On the top of my head you could try

Jaïa - fiction album from 2005

Freq from 2004 & 2006

Vibrasphere indeed

Some Andromeda

Ticon will be good too, some clubby influences...

M.O.S if you want a bit goa but still keep it not overloaded

Infected mushroom especially BP-empire has always worked with friends in my life that are not into psy.

Atmos for sure

Decoy

Etnoscope if you want some tribal (check the tracks first)

Hilight tribe is also considered good because of it's "world music" feeling sometimes

Liquid soul for dancing, especially their 2006 stuff, very dance able and clubby

Lish - free fall from 2005 (a bit trancy and not uptempo at all)

Soul surfer - waterworld (a good not to happy track, but good to start people dancing)

Phony Orphants

SunControlSpecies

Symphonix

Yahel but the non cheesy tracks like "avelance" people mostly like a lot...

and the list goes on...

And then later when people are a bit more "drunk" you can go what BLUBBER advice's, seems pretty good!

I think Sideffect really got my spirit... Exccept for MOS all the other groups are stuff that I had in mind more or less... Especially liquid soul, I think a lot of people can appreiciate them... now that I think about it, some Human Blue would also be a nice choice.

As for "non psy ppl don't dig Psy/trance" I was once at a friends Bday party and he "high on acid" comes up to me and says... "man.. can you go home and bring some music..", so I went home and brought some CDs and mp3s with me.... bare in mind, I'd never DJed before, I knew how mixing works, but never actually done it. The party was at some dude's bar and there were a lot of people, not just attendees of the Bday party, and even the guests had no connection with PSY . So at some point he tells me to go up to the decks.. I played a lot of ticon, jaia, Freq some logic bomb and then ended with some astral, MWNN and Shakta, I even got an applause from all the ppl and when another DJ went up the decks they pulled him down and told me to go and play some more, which I did...

My point: You can play PSY/GOA to "common" ppl, as long as it is well selected.

You could give Mindwave - Concept of freedom a try , might go down really well , the melodies are simple and effective when in high spirits and otherwise too.

Protoculture is a good bet as he has opened out to a wider audience ... his latest album is a mash up of hands in the air euro with a bit of psy. give it a spin before hand to see if it could fit though ... it does get a bit cheesy sometimes.

Shiva Chandra's "The beauty of noise" has some good psyhouse numbers. some tracks are really good like "your mind" and "music therapy" ..

Sideffect pretty much has given you a playlist with a good mix of clubby psy prog that is bound to touch the psy side of people ....

Have fun

I agree with Sideffect. Progressive works best for a crows like this. You don't have to loose touch with the psychedelic aspect of things, yet it will still be very special for a mainstream crowd. The flow of some tracks is just priceless and will get to people even if they don't like psytrance that much.I have some friends who are not much in to psytrance but like house music and such. They can really dig progressive.

I wouldn't go to clubby, but I wouldn't go to chaotic in the music either. A balance in songs is just good. Try artist such as: Motion Drive, Lish, Time In Motion, Synesthetic, Yotopia, Protonica, Human Element, Liquid Soul, Osher etc.

Later on in the night when things go well, you can go a little further with some morning full on. Try some Vertical Mode, Zen Mechanics, Sonic Species and Ital tracks for this. I would leave it at progressive and full-on. Dark psytrance is just to much in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the reccomendations... We had a nice time at the party, not a lot of ppl came since everyone had somethin elsey organised for NYE (time with parents, kids or other parties), but we played a lot of prog and low-bpm goa:

Vibrasphere, Freq, Tegma, Passenger, Biot, mindwave, ticon, andromeda

and early in the morning (6ish) it was me and another old-school goa fan (he HAD a massive vinyl collection scattered all over Greece, he used to lend it to everyone and now there's hardly anything left, a lot stolen and a lot lost) so I introduced him to Artha and we had a blast!